Handlebar mirrors

Soldato
Hello!

I'm thinking of getting some handlebar mirrors for the Hornet to replace the big stock chrome ones.

Does anyone know if handlebar mirrors are any good in terms of actually being usable? Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bar-End-M...95?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19dc39bcc3

Also, what happens when it comes to MOT (MOT not so much of a problem as I can put old back on) and a picky policeman? Is there anything that says they should be a particular size?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Possibly, although my Hornet mirrors are attached to the bars so might be OK (wonder what that's going to be like, I get Hornet back tomorrow after 2 months on a partial faired Bandit with static mirrors :p).

1350212182_img_0168.jpg

You can imagine how much nicer some smaller mirrors would look :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Should work ok then,if they attach where the bar ends go then you just have to look down a bit more

Yeah, that's what I'm a bit worried about, that they'll be at an awkward angle so wouldn't really be able to just glance? Guess I'd need to try though.

Hmm, might take a punt for £20.

Associate
I have bar end mirrors on my Speedy and they're awesome.

I can see everything perfectly fine, never had an issue. Much better than the stock crap :)

I went with Rizoma Reverse Retro bar end mirrors. Expensive but very good quality :)

Soldato
OP
I have bar end mirrors on my Speedy and they're awesome.

I can see everything perfectly fine, never had an issue. Much better than the stock crap :)

I went with Rizoma Reverse Retro bar end mirrors. Expensive but very good quality :)

Thanks :). Had a look and they're a similar size/shape. In fact, the ones I'm looking at look like a copy of the Rizomas... actually the person selling the ones I'm looking at has nicked the Rizoma photos lol

Don't tempt me! £85ish though :eek:. Need to buy my new chain & sprocket and Scottoiler first so might go for the £20 ones for now and upgrade some time :p

[Edit]
Oh I do like the 'natural' colour Rizomas! Very nice.

Last edited:
Associate
Can't hurt :) I notice the one you linked on eBay appears to have nicked the Rizoma Reverse Retro pic from Rizoma, but blurred off the branding on the actual bar end...

They'll probably corrode and fade super fast, but you'll have plenty of time to find out if you get on with them or not :)

Soldato
OP
Wouldn't be surprised if the mirrors are that stick on foil stuff :p

Think I'll give the China ones a go, might work out well. The Rizomas are really nice, but just not in my budget at the moment. £85 each :(

Associate
Yeah they aren't cheap :(

I found out after I bought mine that Triumph do some a bit cheaper in the same shape...

When you fit the Chinese ones be sure to give all the nuts n bolts a bloody good coating in ACF-50/WD40. A friend at work fitted some Chinese mirrors and rode through 1 winter with them. Came to removing them and found he couldn't. They were seized solid. Ended up having to angle grind them off at the base :eek:

Soldato
OP
Ouch, will break out the ACF-50 and some copper grease on the threads :)

Do you know the name of the Triumph ones? My brother's after some for his Bonneville. All the ones we've found for his stick out.

Soldato
OP
Makes it look so much better :D

Only problem with those is the added width. Although saying that if you're clearing your mirrors then you can be sure you're clearing the rest of your bike, so you're on the safe side, especially as it looks like your exhaust is a little further out than your bars?

Last edited:
Soldato
im not sure if the exhausts stick out further, i dont think they do. i dont do much that requires me to worry about mirrors hitting anything, traffic round here is maybe two or three cars, the kind that filtering just makes you look like a complete plank,

Associate
Here's what the Rizoma Reverse Retro's look like on my Speedy. They're set slightly forward off the bars and in line with the bar ends, so no outside overhang.

Of course, you could turn them around so that they poked outwards to give you a bit more of a view, but I can see more than enough in them where they are and prefer the increased filtering ability :p

7765860730_09692d9057_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom