What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Well, they are releasing it... :D

It's an engineering master piece on a level we haven't seen in quite some time. A bezel to bezel round display, all metal high quality finish in a classic watch shape, fairly slim and with a complete new Google OS designed for wearables from the ground up.

I didn't expect anyone to nail a watch like this for quite some time. Credit to Moto for getting there first!

Heres a good video on the new OS:

Also it has it's own SDK, there can be countless watch face designs with sweeping hands or any config anybody can dream up.

Associate
Decided to add a slightly more subtle watch, which coincidentally is the same age as me.snip

Beautiful and rather similar to my Ingenieur.

35d9kqa.jpg

Man of Honour
I like the 360 so much more than I thought I would like a smart watch, but if I bought one I'd worry I'd want to wear it every day, in the sense that you wouldn't want to be without the functionality once you'd got used to it. And that would leave other watches unworn that I enjoy wearing - and switching between - for totally different reasons.

Man of Honour
If you read what I've posted in all instances when talking about smart watches you'll see my post isn't a contradiction of any sort. Until the concept I posted the other week and now someone posting the 360 info, smart watches never appealed because they didn't embody the image of smart and watch that I've always had when those two words were put together.

Until now.

Associate
That Moto...want!

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of my two most recent acquisitions.

Orient Black Mako, fitted a Nato strap. Great to use when I'm out on the water.

IMG_1853_zpsfa0e69e1.jpg

Seiko "mini" Monster. Really like this one, it's massive! My previous daily was a very slimline Skagen, this is totally different

IMG_1848_zps1b241595.jpg

Both ordered from Creation Watches, excellent service and cheaper than getting them from the UK.

Soldato
Liking the way that these smart watches are going. But I don't think they're ever going to be a able to compete with the beauty of the movement in, for example a moonwatch.

I think mechanical watches will always be popular, the movements are so damn beautiful nothing can really replace a high quality watch like that. I think in the long term mechanical watches will end up being classified as a formal item, like cuff-links.

Watches like this Moto 360 will end up being daily watches worn for convenience. Motorola are seemingly the first company to realise that a wearable item needs to be far more beautiful then a smartphone. The 360 is the first smartwatch I consider to be wearable...

Soldato
It was £500ish. Not really sure if thats good or bad for a 40 year old watch, but it works for me.

How you finding it. I bought my dad one from 1947 and he doesn't wear it. It needs setting each time as it only gets a day or so life and the only way you can adjust the date is by winding through the whole 24 hrs for each day its behind.

Man of Honour
How you finding it. I bought my dad one from 1947 and he doesn't wear it. It needs setting each time as it only gets a day or so life and the only way you can adjust the date is by winding through the whole 24 hrs for each day its behind.

Its got a 42hr reserve, so can be left for a reasonable amount of time without having to reset. The date adjusts independently of the time as well, so again not really an issue.

Accuracy seems pretty good, although I've not checked thoroughly, in the last 24 hrs it doesn't seem to have lost/gained at all.

Caporegime
My Hydroconquest will be finally back from repair on Monday... it's been almost 2 months since it first broke... *wipes tear from dewy eye*

I've been naked without it. :(

Soldato
Don't think I ever posted this but due to a few recommendations on here for Christopher Ward I picked this up a couple of years ago for my Wedding present from the Wife. Have to say the customer service was incredible. For some reason the model I wanted had disappeared on the website and I had left it until the very last minute. A questioned why it had disappeared all of a sudden on their forums.

Next thing one of the forum member had contacted one of the staff, explained my predicament and got one reserved for me. Customer services knew about the dilemma and got it delivered to me the very next day.

Anyway onto the watch, it's a C5 Galvanic Automatic (photo from wedding day) :

Back
Top Bottom