My bitch is acting weird

Associate
Wow. Sounds like you've got a bit of an axe to grind.

There's no evidence that the OP is mistreating the dog. Getting irritated/exasperated with her is no indication of how he treats her, he is just explaining how the situation has made him feel.

How about toning down the inflammatory comments and instead formulating a constructive reply with any advice you can offer on the situation, rather than just berating the OP? He obviously does care, or he wouldn't be attempting to seek advice to remedy the situation.

Im only going off what the op has said in his post eg

"The problem is my place has no Garden and we're surrounded by concrete. My dog is incredibly fussy about going toilet on the concrete and demands grass 99% of the time.

This is a real pain in the arse for me. I will walk her around the block in the morning (when I KNOW she needs to go) and we will walk the whole circuit and she still hasn't gone and we're now back home."

"When I'm on the PC like now she demands she sits curled up at my feet under the desk near all the cables which is really annoying / restrictive and dangerous.

When I tell her to go away to a new spot she just stares at me and disobeys me which results in me losing my temper because she's being defiant and I man handle her to move."

"Can someone please help me because this kind of behaviour is not what I want and I'm finding her really irritating."

So im guessing my axe to grind is justified no? The simple solution would be take her to the vets then take her back to the country to live with his mum???

Man of Honour
I really doubt it has anything to do with the surroundings as she's been here with me since September 2013 and she's just started this weird behaviour this week.

I know you say that you can't afford it, but you need to get her to the vet.

Is a few quid worth losing your dog over something that could easily be prevented, caught early enough?

Associate
OP
Sounds like typical signs of anxiety and stress. Dogs are incredibly perceptive of people's behavior and to be frank it sounds like she's more of an inconvenience to you than a loved pet as she should be.

Sitting at your feet she wants attention and you tell her to go away, then when she doesn't you shout at her and forcibly move her? You're going to wind up with a dog with major behavioural issues.

Do the right thing and send her back to your mums.

She gets less exposure to people at my mums and less exercise because of the new job my mum does.

I love her to pieces, she means the world to me and always has done. I'm doing more than my fair share here when it comes to ownership and yes right now she is feeling incredibly inconvenient. Especially when she's acting like this.

Man of Honour
If she's only just suddenly started acting like this then you've got to get her to the vets as someone said above when an animals behaviour suddenly changes especially towards trying to be closer to you or get your attention then there's a good chance something is very wrong.
Find the cash or get insurance.

Soldato
I had a lovely little Patterdale bitch, she was my pride and joy.
Anyhow, long hours working as an Electrician and a wife that couldn't cope with two young children plus a dog meant she had to go.

(new home not vets!!)

Worst thing I have had to do and regret it to this day, in hindsight I wish I had changed jobs instead, but I had a young family to support.

Dogs are very tying and not something I would venture into again, without serious consideration.

Soldato
So im guessing my axe to grind is justified no? The simple solution would be take her to the vets then take her back to the country to live with his mum???

He's explained her man-handled her to get her to move. That could mean picking her up and placing her, it could mean guiding her by the collar. It's not good practice, but it's not evidence of deliberate mistreatment.

He said her behaviour irritates her and can make him angry, but again, doesn't mean he's beating her, or deliberately mistreating her. My dog makes me angry a lot, but that doesn't mean I react to it.

Yet from that you've insinuated that he A) doesn't care (then why would he be seeking help?) and B) He's some sort of drug taking waster. Was that really necessary?

Associate
OP
I know you say that you can't afford it, but you need to get her to the vet.

Is a few quid worth losing your dog over something that could easily be prevented, caught early enough?

It's not a question of being able to afford it and choosing not too.

It's a question of literally not having the money to do it otherwise I would.

Soldato
What breed is she?

Its no doubt the change in surroundings. Its quite drastic for a dog to go from rural to urban. Somebody has already mentioned a phantom pregnancy, could also be that

My girl is very similar in that she will never ever do number 2's anywhere outside of our back garden. We regularly take her on walks through forests and parks etc, and the first thing she does when she gets home is go into the back garden and crack one out!.
She also had a phantom pregnancy once.. and she never stopped carrying around a small rubber chicken squeaky toy. constantly crying/howling at it and licking it.

I know its difficult not to get frustrated and annoyed, as you probably do lead a busy/stressful life but you really should try and extend your patience with her. She just needs a lot of care and attention as its still new to her. More exercise is a must as well, one walk is never enough (you may already walk her more but not mentioned) This will deplete her energy and give her something to focus on!

Above all, if you are worried, for any reason, then take her to the vets for a check-up. tell them she's not being her normal self etc.. see what they recommend.

EDIT: you do take her out more often, loads of posts happened in the time it took me to write this one! lol
EDIT2: infact, just read the rest of the comments now, lol. you can ignore some of this.

Not sure what a consultation price is these days at the vets as I have a cover with mine. If you literally have zero money to do so, hwoever. I'd still ring them and explain the situation. They might be able to offer some advice over the phone?

Last edited:
Associate
He's explained her man-handled her to get her to move. That could mean picking her up and placing her, it could mean guiding her by the collar. It's not good practice, but it's not evidence of deliberate mistreatment.

He said her behaviour irritates her and can make him angry, but again, doesn't mean he's beating her, or deliberately mistreating her. My dog makes me angry a lot, but that doesn't mean I react to it.

Yet from that you've insinuated that he A) doesn't care (then why would he be seeking help?) and B) He's some sort of drug taking waster. Was that really necessary?

He said he used to be homeless which led me to believe he was a drug user as i saw it on tv once. If he cared that much wouldnt he take her straight to a vet before asking on a computer forum? SUrely he could sell his pc to buy her a trip to the vets if it was that serious. If i "man handled" your mother would that suggest i helped her nicely accross a busy road?...just saying lol

Associate
OP
Sounds to me like she is becoming Owner obsessed which is quite tough to deal with. If I am right then you will need to start mixing her with other dogs. Does she mix much at the mo ?

I'm guessing it could be this as well. She doesn't get much exposure to other dogs at all apart from ones she meets on a walk maybe.

When she does her business what are her stools like ? How strong is her urine ? Does she smell ? How many hours is she left alone ? How noisy is the flat when you are not there ? Do you leave music on for her ? Do you Groom her very often ?

Her stools are firm, normal and healthy. Her urine looks normal to me and doesn't have any strong odor.

I have been home with her every day since the end of February so she's not left alone. The flat is quiet I'd say but we do live opposite a busy road so you hear traffic going by every now and then.

I always shower her down when we come back from the forest to clean the mud off her (dog shampoo included!) so no she doesn't smell... her fur looks shiny and healthy.

If I go out and she stays in alone I always put the radio on low volume for her yeah.

Soldato
What I've also noticed is she holds her urine when we do walk on grassy places and empties her bladder out in stages like she wants to mark 100 different spots. I know she has NO trouble in emptying everything at once because occasionally she will do this on concrete if she really needs to.

Today she left her dinner (meat which she normally scoffs) halfway through walked to the other side of the room and began watching me, panting and shaking.

For some reason as well she's recently stopped chasing balls that I throw for her on fields.

She will do it twice and then stop. She's not injured in any way.

Sounds like kidney failure to me. Get her to the vet.

Soldato
Why does every thread have to end up with 2 ***** arguing & talking **** rather than the thread actually helping an OP out for once.

I was merely trying to encourage someone who was obviously here just to flame to actually contribute. And I did contribute myself.

I maintain that a vet should be the first port of call, but if the vet really isn't an option, I think the best bet would be to return the dog to his mothers to see if she settles in better there.

Associate
I was merely trying to encourage someone who was obviously here just to flame to actually contribute. And I did contribute myself.

I maintain that a vet should be the first port of call, but if the vet really isn't an option, I think the best bet would be to return the dog to his mothers to see if she settles in better there.

Which is exactly what i said?

Back
Top Bottom