Why don't I like whiskey?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
OP, grab a nice single malt whisky (Jamesons, Jura or Glenfiddich are good starters, Highland Park is nice, Balvenie is lovely) or a good blended (vat 69 is nice, Johnnie Walker black is okay, Teachers is horrid) and stick to a bottle for a while. Try it neat, on the rocks or with a mixer. Just find something you like and stick with it, you'll acquire a palate in no time.

Ignore the snobs, find what you like.

Stay away from whiskeys i.e. bourbons.

Soldato
Huge fan of bourbon here, but can't stand the majority of single malts. I don't get on with the more earthy flavour of them. Can just about get away with blends like Famous Grouse, but I'll have a Woodford Reserve on ice over them any day.

Associate
OP
With red wine i found that after a few sips it started to taste nicer so i was hoping that would be the same with whisky. Then again its been with the cheap whisky so maybe i have a more expensive pallet or maybe i just will never like the stuff lol. Ive never had an expensive one so i cant cant really compare i guess. Same can be said for vodka which my knowledge is even less lol I did not know there was really expensive vodka.

Which brands of whisky and vodka should i be looking out for?

Soldato
I have tried it many times as I really want to like it. However, whenever I do try and drink it it always has the same effect. All it does to me is burn on the way down, doesn't have any taste other than pure alcohol and they all taste the same to me. I really want to like it especially when I see others saying they love it. I used to feel the same about red wine but then I managed to make myself like it but with whiskey and brandy my body just wants to reject it lol. Does anyone else find themselves in the same boat or do you have any tips ?

Try whisky instead. I'd recommend a nice bottle of Bowmore 18yo.

Permabanned
Maybe you just don't like Whisky? It happens, drink what you like and don't feel forced.

I personally like Whisky and haven't had one yet that I've disliked, or disliked enough not to drink.

But if you want to persist then stick to Bourbon or "Tennessee whiskey" with coke to start with, or you could try Scotch with a drop of water and ice.

Associate
OP
Maybe you just don't like Whisky? It happens, drink what you like and don't feel forced.

I personally like Whisky and haven't had one yet that I've disliked, or disliked enough not to drink.

But if you want to persist then stick to Bourbon or "Tennessee whiskey" with coke to start with, or you could try Scotch with a drop of water and ice.

WIll do thanks for the advice

Associate
I hate Whisky - tends to make me very argumentative and aggressive. At first I thought it was an age thing and I would grow to love it but it doesn't work that way it seems as I still try and drink it at least once a year (when really drunk) with the same results.

I have tried them all and they all have the same effect on me from Jack Daniels to a Single Malt - it must trigger something in my brain.:D

Being Scottish I feel a duty to persist I suppose ... but this one can't be mastered.

Man of Honour
There a huge range in the taste and appeal of whiskies - try something like an Aberfeldy 12 yo if you want to start drinking straight and go from there.

JD IMO is made purely for mixing with coke, wouldn't waste my time drinking it straight. Its pretty much all I drink on a night out though (JD + coke that is).

Last edited:
Associate
I would only drink whiskey sours. But with lime and minus the egg white.

This. I love Whiskey sours but can't really stand drinking the stuff neat, Talisker was the closest i got to liking one neat. Mind you there aren't many spirits i like drinking neat apart from dark rum.

Soldato
I sort of like Jack Daniels. I got a bottle from my sister when she went on holiday. I like the warm feeling you get from it, and if sipped it does taste quite nice. Never tried adding water or coke, or even ice.

I know people always say JD is crap, so I'm half tempted to buy a bottle of something better to see how good it is compared to JD. I'd love to get into drinking spirits instead of just beer. Sick of having to go to the loo ever 10 mins when drinking beer.

EDIT: It was Gentleman Jack my sister got me, don't know how different that is from normal JD?

Last edited:
Soldato
For starters don't drink whiskey with mixers like coke if you want to develop any appreciation for the flavour of the drink. You didn't develop a taste for red wine by drinking red wine mixed with coke did you? Personally I really enjoy whisk(e)y but find sweet mixers stomach churningly sickening.

I pretty much only drink single malts and find most blended whisky quite unpalatable. I would recommend jamesons as one of the most pleasant mass market blended whiskey. Buy a small bottle, drink it neat in small sips with a glass of water to hand. Then move on to try some single malts. I don't really have a single brand that I favour, in general you get what pay for, and I tend to go with whatever looks nicest out of whatever waitrose have on offer! I would suggest avoiding Laphroaig - I am a big fan, but I suspect the smokiness will be off putting for a whisky noob.

Re whiskey /whisky, Scottish whisky is always spelt whisky, Irish is spelt with an e as are most American whiskeys.

Back
Top Bottom