Light weight blogging platform

Soldato
Hi,

So me and my GF have started developing quiet a few random apps for fun, and we want to blog them and use it in the future as demos of our work and what not. I have had experience with a lot of platforms but there all overcomplicated.

What I'm looking for is something simple, light weight and very customisable front end. Since I have been mostly working on front end work, and will continue so going forward I kind of want to make something that looks very beautiful and modern.

Been trying to theme up WordPress but it is just a bit too complicated.

Big plus for something that just spits out variables and I can just style that on the front end, and not need a lot of logic like WordPress/Drupal.

Currently looking at Ghost which looks decent.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback guys. Hosting shouldn't be an issue I will use a Digital ocean and just handle it all on my own, either way it is an afterthought for now, mostly just wanna mess around with it for now.

Handlebar and NodeJS are both things I would like in my tool belt, I have used underscorejs and angular as tempting languages before. Jekyll also looks very cool, I have a friend who forked it and uses it as his CV.

Associate
I find Jekyll really good. Though mainly because I have some custom plugins that handle some nice markup when I want to do various nice layouts. It's simplicity and scope are lovely, and I have a nice setup where I can push straight to git and my VPS then processes Jekyll and compiles the code in a temp folder than moves the generated site into my live dir. Sweet as!

As said though, Ghost does look good. Not tried it myself, but if you need any help with Jekyll let me know.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the feedback, I have seen a friends site setup in Jekyll that he uses sort of like a CV, it looks very nice and another for a blog it seems really good. I might use that at some points too at which point I will take you up on your offer if I ever get stuck Gerico.

For now Ghost seems great, since I'm more focused on front end development these days Having a site to show I understand Handlebar and NodeJS (I know its serverside but I get the sense that any decent JS developer should understand how to use it at least) seems to be really good.

Out of interest how flexible is the front end for Jekyll.

Associate
Thanks for the feedback, I have seen a friends site setup in Jekyll that he uses sort of like a CV, it looks very nice and another for a blog it seems really good. I might use that at some points too at which point I will take you up on your offer if I ever get stuck Gerico.

For now Ghost seems great, since I'm more focused on front end development these days Having a site to show I understand Handlebar and NodeJS (I know its serverside but I get the sense that any decent JS developer should understand how to use it at least) seems to be really good.

Out of interest how flexible is the front end for Jekyll.

Yeh no problems :) — Jekyll is extremely flexible IMO. You can re-arrange your templates however you like, there are really simple template tags to pull in various data. It really is open to being used as you need it. Plus I love writing my posts in markdown.

Caporegime
Note that it's Node.js based and a lot of hosts don't support it on shared hosting packages - TSOHost and Vidahost being two (was the case when i asked them a few months back).

Vidahost now offer support but its £3/month extra. Any ideas why?

Looking to setup a new blog and it looks great.

Hum that droplets linked above looks pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom