• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
14+ drivers were definatly throttling for me. At least 14.2 was. I got over 1000 points more in firestrike on 13.12 than I did with 14.2.

Associate
I upgraded to an MSI r9 290x gaming from a 5850 on Sunday in prep for a full system upgrade and I'm just making time to stretch its legs a little although things don't seem right :(

I loaded far cry 3 on ultra and just sitting in the menus I'm hitting 90c on full fan (auto), have I got a bad one?

r9290x_3.png

r9290x_2.png

Full specs:
PSU: Corsair HX750
CPU: i5 750 @ 3.36GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: 4GB Geil
MOBO: MSI P55-GD80
SSD: 1TB Samsung Evo (100GB system partition, 830GB games partition)
Case: Silverstone Fortress FT01
Screens: 2x Dell U2414H (Only game on 1 screen at 1080p, second is there for browsing, videos etc.)

Last edited:
Soldato
I upgraded to an MSI r9 290x gaming from a 5850 on Sunday in prep for a full system upgrade and I'm just making time to stretch its legs a little although things don't seem right :(

I loaded far cry 3 on ultra and just sitting in the menus I'm hitting 90c on full fan (auto), have I got a bad one?

Take it out of the menus and have another look. Some games render thousands of frames while sitting in menus, and it raises the temps. Then try enabling vsync and see if that makes a difference.

Soldato

Full specs:
PSU: Corsair HX750
CPU: i5 750 @ 3.36GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: 4GB Geil
MOBO: MSI P55-GD80
SSD: 1tb Samsung Evo (100GB system partition, 830GB games partition)
CAse: Silverstone Fortress FT01

Does it do the same in the game? Some game menus have no frame rate cap and are like running furmark. How is it at idle on desktop, or in other games?

Associate
Take it out of the menus and have another look. Some games render thousands of frames while sitting in menus, and it raises the temps.

Does it do the same in the game? Some game menus have no frame rate cap and are like running furmark. How is it at idle on desktop, or in other games?

It was reaching 90s before I paused it to see what the noise was (my reference 5850 seemed quieter). I emphasised on the menu being up as I (wrongly) thought it should be doing less yet was still running hot.

Even sitting idle now it's at 47c with the GPU core clock down to ~300 MHz. There's plenty of airflow in the FT01 :confused::(

Last edited:
Associate
Hey guys,

Last week I became the proud owner of two Saphire R9 290X's which came in my system build from OC's. Both watercooled.

I just have a couple of questions about overclocking though.

I got a 3D Mark 11 score of X9414 after using Saphire Trixx to oc the cards. Does that sound about right for these cards ? Temps were never over 57, mostly around the 40's.

Secondly I want a decent OC running constantly for my gaming and I wondered what you guys would suggest is a safe OC using TRIXX.

For that score above I had these settings : GPU Clock 1152, Memory Clock 5421, VDDC Offset 52.

When I set the VDDC higher than 150 I start to get issues but I've seen a few screenshots of the S-TRIXX where people seem to use 200 quite often.

To be absolutely honest they baffle me a bit, I've tried to find the info I need but getting specifics for these cards seems difficult.

Associate
It was reaching 90s before I paused it to see what the noise was (my reference 5850 seemed quieter). I emphasised on the menu being up as I (wrongly) thought it should be doing less yet was still running hot.

Even sitting idle now it's at 47c with the GPU core clock down to ~300 MHz. There's plenty of airflow in the FT01 :confused::(

My 290 P sits at 35 - high 40's depending on ambient room temp. Card has never been much over 80 Celsius at any time when gaming or otherwise, even when the desired temp threshold was set to the default 95 Celsius.

Mobster
Soldato
Hey guys,

Last week I became the proud owner of two Saphire R9 290X's which came in my system build from OC's. Both watercooled.

I just have a couple of questions about overclocking though.

I got a 3D Mark 11 score of X9414 after using Saphire Trixx to oc the cards. Does that sound about right for these cards ? Temps were never over 57, mostly around the 40's.

Secondly I want a decent OC running constantly for my gaming and I wondered what you guys would suggest is a safe OC using TRIXX.

For that score above I had these settings : GPU Clock 1152, Memory Clock 5421, VDDC Offset 52.

When I set the VDDC higher than 150 I start to get issues but I've seen a few screenshots of the S-TRIXX where people seem to use 200 quite often.

To be absolutely honest they baffle me a bit, I've tried to find the info I need but getting specifics for these cards seems difficult.

You havent even once mentioned what kind of issues you're having, how are we supposed to help you? And yes your temps are fine.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
HIS Radeon R9 290X iPower IceQ X2 Turbo Graphics Card

HIS officially has announced their HIS Radeon R9 290X iPower IceQ X2 Turbo Graphics Card. Powered by AMD Radeon R9 290X GPU, the card sports 2816 Stream Processors, a 512-bit memory interface, a core clock of 1040MHz and a 4GB of GDDR5 memory set @ 5400MHz.

The card also adopts a double-fan IceQ X2 cooling solution and features 2x dual-link DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs. Pricing info is still unknown at the moment.

Product Code
H290XQMT4GD

Cooler
IceQ X²

GPU
R9 290X

Core Clock
Up to 1040 MHz

Memory Clock
Up to 5400 MHz

Memory Size
4096 MB

Memory Type
GDDR5

Memory Interface
512 bit

Interface
PCI Express x16 (PCI Express 3.0)

Card Dimension
29.7 x 14.3 x 4.4 cm

Box Weight
1.6 kg

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/his_radeon_r9_290x_ipower_iceq_x2_turbo_graphics_card.html

Man of Honour
OP
I figured overclocking issues were the same for everyone? Crashes, garbled screen etc, I thought I'd be adding too much to an already long post by including what was already known.

You need to be a little more specific about what you are asking.

For example it is hard to check you 3dmark11 score without you posting the link and also stating what CPU and clockspeed you were using.:)

Back
Top Bottom