HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
I still cant get it to mount :(
You should be using something like -
Code:
mount /dev/sdr1/ /mnt

As mentioned, it might be a different partition ('sda1' gets mentions on Xpenology forums), so it might need a bit of trial and error - can you post a list of your partitions?

For reference, if you're booting from an imaged USB stick then DSM mounts it under the /volume*/ directory.

Associate
Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
/dev/sda1 1 311 2490240 fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2 311 572 2097152 fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3 588 243201 1948788912 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 589 243201 1948780864 fd Linux raid autodetect

Disk /dev/sdb: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255040 bytes
/dev/sdb1 1 267350 2147483647+ ee EFI GPT
Disk /dev/sdc: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255040 bytes
/dev/sdc1 1 267350 2147483647+ ee EFI GPT
Disk /dev/sdd: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255040 bytes
/dev/sdd1 1 267350 2147483647+ ee EFI GPT
Disk /dev/sde: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255040 bytes
/dev/sde1 1 267350 2147483647+ ee EFI GPT

Using ESXi VM for reference

Soldato
Is that from the XPEnology container (and not SSH'ing into ESXI)?
As i would have thought it would have shown the XPEnology boot drive, which is around 30MB, rather than two 2TB drives.

Either way, it looks like you need to do trial and error and mount each partition until you find the 'vender' file.

Associate
So I'm new to this and am playing around with my Microserver and XPEnology, can anyone explain why I should select XPEnology over something like FreeNAS? Obviously I'm looking for data integrity and a hassle free experience - XPEnology does not seem to be hassle free and I'm not sure what the future holds for it.

Soldato
OP
So I'm new to this and am playing around with my Microserver and XPEnology, can anyone explain why I should select XPEnology over something like FreeNAS? Obviously I'm looking for data integrity and a hassle free experience - XPEnology does not seem to be hassle free and I'm not sure what the future holds for it.

The best thing you can do is get a spare HD and install Freenas and the two different versions of XPEnology.

I've moved from Trantor to gnoBoot as it's easier to setup. I can use all the Android apps and
it does what I want it to do. Which is mainly streaming video to wan\lan and to my tv\phone\tablet via DS Video.

Associate
That speed seems very low, double check the XPEnology's network port is connecting at 1Gb and not 100Mb - Control Panel->Network->Network Interface - Network Status. I'm new to this hardware and software too and had a slow connection, turns out my "Cat6" cable will only connect at 100Mbit - new cable time.

I'll check when I get home, but I'm sure it's connecting at 1gb. I'll also check the cable, thanks.

What version do you have installed? and is this a fresh install or a update?

I'm running XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.3 build 3810++ (repack v1.0). It was a fresh install, haven't updated it.

I know I'm still a complete beginner with this, but I'm getting there, just need this sorted out so the server is 'useable'.

Soldato
OP
I'll check when I get home, but I'm sure it's connecting at 1gb. I'll also check the cable, thanks.

I'm running XPEnology DS3612xs DSM 4.3 build 3810++ (repack v1.0). It was a fresh install, haven't updated it.

I know I'm still a complete beginner with this, but I'm getting there, just need this sorted out so the server is 'useable'.

First make sure your N54L has a static ip addy. To do this go to control panel(micro server)
then Network and it may tell you you need a static IP and do you want to set tis up. Say yes.

After that go to "external access and click on the router option. It will look to see if it knows your router.
If it does it will ask if you want to set it up. Again say yes but don't forget to click on save before you leave.

Try that and come back. Just thought have you got any 10\100 on your network?

Associate
I just update to 5-4458-update 1 all went ok but I had to use

sed 's/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/' /[email protected]> /[email protected]
mv /[email protected] /[email protected]

as a script.

I do appreciate your posting. Is this specific to the Gnoboot firmware as I did try with my trantor release and got the following error message when I ran the script and tried to update.

"Temporary directory access error during update."

I know you had success updating this way previously, so maybe there is a setting or something that needs to be done to make this work.

It's not much to go on, but if anyone can hazard a guess, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Soldato
OP
I do appreciate your posting. Is this specific to the Gnoboot firmware as I did try with my trantor release and got the following error message when I ran the script and tried to update.

"Temporary directory access error during update."

I know you had success updating this way previously, so maybe there is a setting or something that needs to be done to make this work.

It's not much to go on, but if anyone can hazard a guess, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Originally Posted by deuse View Post

Once 4.3 is installed it will tell you about some updates, click download DON'T click update
go to scheduled tasks and create a custom task and copy+paste this in to the box.

sed 's/flashupdateDeb/flashupdateDeb1/' /[email protected]> /[email protected]
mv /[email protected] /[email protected]

Then go back and click update

I would make sure you have a backup mate.

After a search :D

Associate
After a search :D

Sorry I'm a little confused. I never had any success with that when I was on 4.3
Since I updated to 5.0, I have updated once by the traditional method of virtually reinstalling.

Since you were on a version of 5, I saw you offered a modified script. I tried that and got the error message I posted.

It's not that I didn't search, but my question was specific to your revised script.

Associate
Did you download the update then run the script after that click install?
I'm on V5 gnoBoot and it works and it works on trantors V5 as well.

Absolutely, followed it to the letter. This leads me to think there must be another setting that is needed for this to work. It almost seems as if the stumbling block is the usb stick. Is yours booting off the usb?

Associate
I'm using gnoBoot version now but all XPEnology versions have to boot from USB.

Have a look here

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2745

edit=you can use that script via Winscp if you want try that way.

Yes, I know you are :D

I've been following your progress. Just a massive pain to boot into windows just to do that. And I managed to install King Translate and can't get rid of it now. That's how useless I am with pc's. I uninstalled it and removed it from the browser, but it still shows it's ugly face when it first boots up. Annoying is not the word!

Good tip re the script though. Got to be easier then than the alternative way.

Cheers.

alx

alx

Soldato
Not sure if this is right place, but if you've got XPEnology on a HP Microserver (54L) and you're just using it as a NAS/media pc how much RAM do you realistically need? Is the standard 2GB enough?

Soldato
OP
Not sure if this is right place, but if you've got XPEnology on a HP Microserver (54L) and you're just using it as a NAS/media pc how much RAM do you realistically need? Is the standard 2GB enough?

Should be ok. As I always say install a spare HD and have a play to make sure it does what you want.
Also you can pick which version of XPEnology you want to use Trantors or gnoBoot

If you have a android\apple phone you can use the apps as well.

Associate

You know it is I think. You can see how much it is using in a browser as a percentage and the functions (cache, free, etc). My 'other' nas has 1gb and never has any problems. Personally, I installed another 2gb (I have two) as it uses both banks and is slightly more efficient (I believe). Barely uses a third of it, but does use it to cache, so perhaps of some benefit. You can always run it and see how it goes first.

alx

alx

Soldato
Cheers for the responses guys :)

I was originally just thinking of getting a cheapish NAS (like a Zyxel NSA325) but it wouldn't be able to transcode video, so for a little extra the HP Microserver + XPEnology seems like a better bet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom