Samsung U28D590 mini review

Caporegime
I was going to bench at playable settings today but Wifey has had me busy, so not much time for that but turning down AA gives back a lot of performance and isn't needed. It only is noticeable when you stand still in a game and study but how often do we do that?

I still feel it helps mind but no need to add massive amounts and 2xAA is enough for the most games. Another thing to remember is, I picked out some of the most demanding games out (except Crysis 3) and most games will cope well on a modest system and 4K.

Oo er.

Wonder how a single R9 290 would be for playable gaming, I don't want to buy a second R9 290, as I'll just get a single GPU of the next gen.

Definitely want one of these bad boys like, tempted to buy one now, but I'm waiting on OCUK to get stock, I could buy that 24" 4K 60HZ one.

OcUK Staff
Greg

Great review, I think for the money they are superb and now people don't need to worry about buying from Korea that OcUK are taking pre-orders and stock us due in 6-8 weeks and they will have English sub menu's ;)

OcUK's listing:-

Samsung U28D590 28" 4K 60Hz 1ms Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black @ £499.99 inc VAT

MO-204-SA_400.jpg

Samsung U28D590 the Main feature of novelty is the resolution 4K (3840×2160), exceeding Full HD (1920×1080) four times. Natural color reproduction with soft color transitions is achieved, in particular, by playlist 1 billion colors. Response time is 1 MS, which perfectly fit to play the game content. Also amongst the peculiarities of the availability of an updated Picture-in-Picture (PIP 2.0). With its help it is possible to reproduce a picture of a small window in the original resolution up to Full HD (1920×1080 pixels) as the main picture is reproduced in UHD. In addition, when playing content small-resolution, innovative function UHD upscale will improve the clarity and quality of the image to the maximum possible resolution of 4K (3840×2160).

The novelty provides connectivity, audio-video devices: include 2 HDMI port and one interface connector Display Port. It is worth noting that the monitor can be connected at once two PC and play back content from both devices without any loss of quality, resolution images with each PC will 1920×2160. This monitor can be easily connected Xbox or PlayStaion4 via the HDMI.

Specification:-
- Size with stand (W x H x D ) : 660.9x486.3x169.4 (mm)
- Without stand (W x H x D ): 660.9x410.0x64.7 (mm)
- Packaging (W x H x D ): 794x452x109 (mm)
- Display Screen Size: 28" (70.8cm)
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Panel Type: TN
- Brightness: 300cd/m2
- Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 (Typ)
- Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 10,000,000
- Resolution: 3840x2160 (Only over DisplayPort at 60Hz)
- Response Time: 1ms (GTG)
- Color Support : 1B
- Viewing Angle (H / V ): 170 ° / 160 °
- Connectivity: 2x HDMI (30Hz), 1x DisplayPort (60Hz)
- USB Hub: NO
- Speakers: NO
- Warranty: 2yr

Only £499.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Associate
TN can do 1billion colours now? damn... why did I buy IPS :D

Oh wait, I don't have money to buy 3-4 titans, so i'll have to wait 2-3 years to buy a screen like that and a normal gpu that will be able to cope with 4k...

jkb

jkb

Associate
So that new monitor will actually cost me another 290X another waterblock and an extra radiator. And probably a new PSU. I know I shouldn't bother, but I really want one

Caporegime
OP
So that new monitor will actually cost me another 290X another waterblock and an extra radiator. And probably a new PSU. I know I shouldn't bother, but I really want one

That is the ideal system for 4K but you can game at 4K with a single card if you don't mind toning down the settings.

Associate
Thanks very much for the review, I'm very tempted to get one of these now.

As others have said, would you mind running some benchmarks without AA and possibly one or two with just one card? (perhaps with some settings turned down!)

Also, how does gaming at 1080/1440 look?

I think the biggest factor putting people off is how much we will have to spend on new graphics cards.

Thanks again mate, very helpful!

Caporegime
OP
Thanks very much for the review, I'm very tempted to get one of these now.

As others have said, would you mind running some benchmarks without AA and possibly one or two with just one card? (perhaps with some settings turned down!)

Also, how does gaming at 1080/1440 look?

I think the biggest factor putting people off is how much we will have to spend on new graphics cards.

Thanks again mate, very helpful!

I did some 1080P gaming on it and it looks very good (which surprised me). Not bothered with 1440P if I am honest but will jump on some benching on a single card now. Take into account that a Titan is close to a 290/780/780Ti, so performance will be roughly the same with those GPU's.

Give me an hour to test with one card on a few benches and give my feedback on IQ.

Associate
Good to hear that 1080p gaming looks good. Very tempted to buy one of these, but would probably have to stick to gaming at 1080p until can afford a graphics upgrade as well.

Caporegime
OP
Done 2 games and aiming for that 60 fps magical number and on a single card, it is surprisingly easy. AA sure is a crippler on performance and in honesty, the 2 games I have tested, it isn't that noticeable from on to off. If you are in a static image, you can see edges when it is off but they are very very faint and not at all off putting. I don't tend to stand about in games as well, and moving about is fluid and smooth.

Anyway, so far on a single Titan (at stock clocks) and a 3930K at 4.625Ghz:

Bioshock infinite

Ultra - 21 minimum - 50 average - 77 maximum
Very high - 30 minimum - 50 average - 74 maximum (no idea why that is)
High - 31 minimum - 63 average - 95 maximum

It is worth noting that on high settings, it looked just as good as ultra but came with screen tear and would need V-Sync to be applied to stop it. The game was smooth on ultra but those minimums could be an issue. I would run the game on high with V-Sync enabled and it will be a great looking game which is very smooth and very playable.

Batman Arkham Origins

Ultra with 8XMSAA - 19 minimum - 23 average - 52 maximum
Ultra with 2XMSAA - 31 minimum - 40 average - 49 maximum
Ultra with 0XMSAA - 44 minimum - 57 average - 73 maximum

On the slow moving scenes of Batmans in-game bench, slight edging could be seen with AA off but this needed to be looked for and on the faster moving scenes, it looked just as good as when 8XMSAA was used. The game was very fluid with 0XMSAA and for a single card, this is ideal. No tearing and nice and smooth.

More to follow.

Soldato
Bioshock infinite and Batman AO have some sort of FXAA type filter on when the settings are bumped up don't they? I would assume that would help take some of the edge off things (pun intended). Going from 1920 x 1080 to a 2560 x 1440 monitor you notice less of a need for AA, or at least as much AA. It is only natural that at 4K the need is reduced further. So single card users shouldn't be afraid of turning off the MSAA for some extra performance.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, really interesting especially your comments on the image quality with no AA

Bioshock infinite and Batman AO have some sort of FXAA type filter on when the settings are bumped up don't they? I would assume that would help take some of the edge off things (pun intended). Going from 1920 x 1080 to a 2560 x 1440 monitor you notice less of a need for AA, or at least as much AA. It is only natural that at 4K the need is reduced further. So single card users shouldn't be afraid of turning off the MSAA for some extra performance.

Bioshock/Batman has different variants of AA and I tried them all when I was in SLI and honestly, they all look the same. I will be running games at 2XAA, as any more and even in standing images, I can't notice the difference. A lot has been made about 4K and the grunt needed to run it and I am terrible for wanting details maxed but if I am honest with myself, you don't need more than 2X in any of the games I have tested at 4K and this in turn allows a single card for the most to cope.

SLI/CF is ideal though and allows for ultra settings in the games I have tested but you get massive returns in performance by notching down AA in most games.

Edit:

If you was on a bigger screen (guessing 40" +), I can see the need for AA but at 28", it just isn't needed (or much is needed) if that makes sense.

Associate
Hey Greg,First of fantastic review as always bud it was a great read and very formative,Very tempted pick one of these up my self,Would it run well with a single 780 Classified? I only really play Diablo and the odd game of Crysis and BF4. ofc not max settings but would it be somewhat playable?

Caporegime
OP
Hey Greg,First of fantastic review as always bud it was a great read and very formative,Very tempted pick one of these up my self,Would it run well with a single 780 Classified? I only really play Diablo and the odd game of Crysis and BF4. ofc not max settings but would it be somewhat playable?

Thanks bud and yep, a single 780Ti will cope fine. AA is the main stickler for fps but I keep saying it, it seriously isn't needed and this is where you get all your frames back. BF4 was a little harder and needed turning down the pre-set to high for playable frames (online as well - got it working now) Medium settings is the optimum and in fairness, it doesn't look as good as Ultra of course but still nothing wrong with it.

Back
Top Bottom