One Headset for both PS4/Xbox one

Soldato
I need a headset for my PS4 and xbox one. My top priority is sound quality but it would be great if I didn't have lots of cables snaking around.

I'm drawn to the sennheiser headsets (g4me range) with adapters as I like the sennheiser house sound. From what I can tell connectivity is complicated. Am I right with the following:

1. Both xbox one and PS4 allow me to connect via the controllers to get 2.0 sound (but no virtual surround - not sure I'm that fussed) although the quality may not be great and/or I might need an inline amp to drive something like a sennheiser g4me set?

2. The only other way to connect would be via something like an astro mixamp and then plug the headset into it. I get the full virtual surround sound (again not sure whether that is good or bad), better amplification, but the downside is I would need an optical input switch and have a cable snaking from av unit to the sofa. It would also add at least £100 to the cost.

Does anyone have experience of using one headset setup for both consoles? Part of me is saying just buy steelseries H or astro A50 and be done with it, but I'm worried about the sound quality they'll give me, but the simplicity of wireless is tempting.

Associate
I have been looking at the Astro range, looks like the best fit for your purpose from what I have seen. Plus a few of the pro teams for COD on X1 are using them, so they can't be that bad.

Associate
I have been looking at the Astro range, looks like the best fit for your purpose from what I have seen. Plus a few of the pro teams for COD on X1 are using them, so they can't be that bad.

Astro's are the biggest waste of money, the Senn's or the Steelseries are a lot better, people buy Astro's because the pros have them, they are seriously uncomfortable i had a pair, and dislike them a lot.

Soldato
I bought a wired headset and the sound was brilliant. Alas, the wires and the lack of mic working forced me to return them and I bought the Turtle Beach PX4's. Wireless, acceptable sound quality (you need to be spending Astros money to get much better really), and they work on both X1 & PS4. If you can get a set less than £100 you're laughing.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys. The more I think and read about it the more wireless seems the best way forward and just accept the sound might not be the best I can get. Suppose as I'll only use them for gaming, then thats probably a reasonable compromise and the one most people seem to end up making.

Will look to see what other wireless headphones there are in the 100-250 price range as not sure I quite want to splurge £250 on the steelseries H just yet, especially without trying them first.

Caporegime
Wireless 5.8 MIXAMP (can only be bought second hand) with a USB PC/PS3 chat cable (order direct from astro support)
+
Fidelio X1 / HD 598
+
V Moda Boom Pro Mic

that is a wireless setup (for ps4) apart from the wire from the headphones to the receiver. Don't know how well it would work on XB1 though as I don't know what it's connectivity is like for voice chat.

Soldato
OP
Wireless 5.8 MIXAMP (can only be bought second hand) with a USB PC/PS3 chat cable (order direct from astro support)
+
Fidelio X1 / HD 598
+
V Moda Boom Pro Mic

that is a wireless setup (for ps4) apart from the wire from the headphones to the receiver. Don't know how well it would work on XB1 though as I don't know what it's connectivity is like for voice chat.

Looks an ideal setup having heard the fidelio x1, but I'm not too keen on running the ebay gauntlet to get the mixamp.

decisions decisions.

Soldato
SQ is your priority, Sonny has listed the best (although not cheapest) solution so far, avoid Astro like the plague and the gaming branded tosh,
I am currently running the same setup (X1)but with a wired amp.

Soldato
OP
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astro-Gam...t=UK_Video_Games_Headsets&hash=item5afe3338ed

be quick that's £15 under what they usually go for second hand and that is a new one apparently

Missed out on that one.

Having done a load more research I think I'll go for the mixamp + either the philips fidelio + mic or a sennheiser headset.

Is the main advantage of getting a second hand mixamp 5.8 vs a new mixamp pro the ability to be wireless between the amp and the sofa?

Caporegime
Missed out on that one.

Having done a load more research I think I'll go for the mixamp + either the philips fidelio + mic or a sennheiser headset.

Is the main advantage of getting a second hand mixamp 5.8 vs a new mixamp pro the ability to be wireless between the amp and the sofa?

they were new and cheaper than a used set, I was thinking of buying them as a backup, but left it in case they make a new mixamp soon. Their mixamps though historically have gotten worse as years go by, hope that changes soon.

pretty much yeah

you get a transmitter and a receiver.

I have a power cable, USB printer type cable (for charging the receiver), optical toslink cable and a USB PS3/PC chat cable connected to the transmitter which sits in my AV unit.

The receiver has my belkin mic attached to it which has my headphones attached to it. I can put the receiver in my pocket, clip it to my jeans, or just sit it down beside me.

Therefore the cables run from me to the receiver or the transmitter to the console/socket.

No wires across the room, best wireless sound quality available, option to choose stereo or dolby 5.1 on the transmitter, can control bass, game/voice chat volumes independently as well as the volume all from the receiver end.

You ideally want the v moda boom pro mic if you want to have the mic built into the headset wire, otherwise if you can live with an additional wire and use the splitter a £2-£3 mic from DX will do. But the v moda boom pro mic will only work with headsets with a removeable cable a la HD 598 or Fidelio X1, of the 2 Fidelio X1 is the better gaming headset, HD 598 is far more stylish though and still a very good set of headphones.

Soldato
OP
they were new and cheaper than a used set, I was thinking of buying them as a backup, but left it in case they make a new mixamp soon. Their mixamps though historically have gotten worse as years go by, hope that changes soon.

pretty much yeah

you get a transmitter and a receiver.

I have a power cable, USB printer type cable (for charging the receiver), optical toslink cable and a USB PS3/PC chat cable connected to the transmitter which sits in my AV unit.

The receiver has my belkin mic attached to it which has my headphones attached to it. I can put the receiver in my pocket, clip it to my jeans, or just sit it down beside me.

Therefore the cables run from me to the receiver or the transmitter to the console/socket.

No wires across the room, best wireless sound quality available, option to choose stereo or dolby 5.1 on the transmitter, can control bass, game/voice chat volumes independently as well as the volume all from the receiver end.

You ideally want the v moda boom pro mic if you want to have the mic built into the headset wire, otherwise if you can live with an additional wire and use the splitter a £2-£3 mic from DX will do. But the v moda boom pro mic will only work with headsets with a removeable cable a la HD 598 or Fidelio X1, of the 2 Fidelio X1 is the better gaming headset, HD 598 is far more stylish though and still a very good set of headphones.

Makes sense now, thanks. Seems like the mixamp pro is out of stock on its own. So will have to keep an eye on ebay/astro for either mixamp.

I knew I should've got the philips fidelio before christmas when they were £150 vs £186 now. Will keep an eye on those as well.

Caporegime
Astro's are the biggest waste of money, the Senn's or the Steelseries are a lot better, people buy Astro's because the pros have them, they are seriously uncomfortable i had a pair, and dislike them a lot.

depends if you mean the headset or the mixamp

I'd definitely advise getting an Astro Mixamp that can connect to both the PS4 and xbox one.

Then choose a sennheiser / whatever headset you like and use the astro's included adaptors.

After that its just a matter of buying 2 optical cables and 2 USB cables and swapping those around in the back of the mixamp when you want to move from one to the other.

Soldato
After that its just a matter of buying 2 optical cables and 2 USB cables and swapping those around in the back of the mixamp when you want to move from one to the other.

You don't need 2 USB cables, the PS4 uses USB for chat so just leave it plugged into the PS4 as the ports are powered in standby. Then pick up 2 optical cable and switch.

Back
Top Bottom