Multiple IP's and LAN IP's together?

Soldato
Hello everyone,

I'm sure it's going to be possible but trying to figure out how I can do this.
I'm looking at finally moving away from Virgin and am looking at going to a provider who can give me FTTC with multi IP's (probably 4 but 8 if I can blag it)

Current set up is superhub into RT-N56
Now my port forwarding list is as long as my arm as I have a home server doing some bits and bobs and am shortly putting in a HP microserver for a test environment for some linux server experimentation.

Ideally I'd like the microserver to have it's own IP address but also have a "modern" family to support who all love the internet as it is now due to the Asus router.

What are my options? I have a spare Linksys E2000 lying around so was thinking of letting the Linksys do the routing and then sitting the Asus behind it doing a NAT for all "internal" systems and the Linksys can hand off the external IP's.

Or is there something much easier I can do with the Asus?

Soldato
I have not done networking for a long time but 4 used to be practically useless.

Need the 8 (one taken by network, one broadcast, one router leaving one useful)

Soldato
OP
Agreed.
1.2.3.4>network
1.2.3.5>router
1.2.3.6>additional
1.2.3.7>broadcast

Probably won't be much help to me. I was thinking;

1.2.3.4>Network
1.2.3.5>Router (linksys)
1.2.3.6>NAT'd router (asus handing off 192.168 addresses)
1.2.3.7>home-server
1.2.3.8>linux microserver
1.2.3.9>pi running mumble server
1.2.3.10>spare
1.2.3.11>broadcast

Would that work?

Soldato
I can see no reason why it wouldn't. Just disable NAT on the Linksys router, have all the other devices, including the Asus router, use the Linksys router as its default gateway and job done. Pretty sure you'd only be able to get a /29 for 8 IPs anyway, not seen an ISP offer a /30 for 4 IPs before but you'll be fine with a /29.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Was chatting with a colleague today who was talking about a chap who has recently retired, he ended up owning a class B range from a job he had way back when and still owns it.

Estimates were they reckoned it was worth about $8 million lol. That's a nice retirement fund!

Caporegime
I'm still absolutely amazed at the cavalier approach being taken to IPv6 at the consumer-ISP level at the moment. It seems that people would rather throw money at carrier-grade NAT than spending that time and money on pushing IPv6 forward.

Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom