Fibre Boradband Help

Man of Honour
Hi,

I currently network on a 3mbs connection using Devolo Highspeed 85mbs powerline plugs.

Now this hasnt been an issue however i remember at my last house where I had a full 20mbs connection these things topped out around 8mbs ? (if i connected ethernet to pc I got 20 if i used the plugs i got 8)

I have been advised that i will get a minimum 41mbs connection on fibre, Ive opted for an up to 38mbs connection. In order to get the best out of it what would i need to upgrade to either via powerplug or via wireless adapter to get somewhere near that speed ?

Having thought about it is the 85mbs on the powerplugs rated the same as internet speed i.e you actually get 10% of that speed ? therefore Id need a 300mbs or 500mbs connection ?

all help much appreciated.

memph

Soldato
Pretty much, might be best to hunt around for gigabit homeplugs just to make sure you get the best from your fibre broadband.

Wireless is usually better for speeds but unless it's the 5GHz band then there can be a few inteferences, such as wireless networks from neighbours.

I guess getting a long ethernet cable is not an option?

Soldato
You are getting Mbits and Mbytes confused, that's why you are thinking 10%. Your 85 Mbps should cope fine with your 38 Mbps fibre connection even with a drop in speed. I'd try it first and then change to the 300 if you find the need.

Soldato
Old 85Mbps adapters definitely won't handle a 38Mbps connection. The 8Mbps the OP mentioned is much nearer the mark.

You want AV200 adapters as a minimum, and preferably AV500/600.

Soldato
I would advise looking at gigabit type models.

When I got my 40Mbps FTTC connection my 200Mbps homeplugs would only do about 34Mbps, purchased some 500Mbps ones and they didn't seem to make much differance.

Ended up running a cable.

It was going over a fair distance however.

Back
Top Bottom