Just dropped a deposit on some M Power - Trackday Project Car

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

OK just managed to go one up on AP's and bag myself a full set of CSL Cup big brake kit made by Alcon, the most powerful brakes available for an M3.

The fronts are monoblock Alcon six piston calipers with brand new alcon front 365mm disc with XP10 carbotech pads. The stock disc are 325mm and 1 piston calipers, a serious upgrade there.

This kit also includes the rears which are monoblock Alcon four piston calipers with rear alcon 343mm disc and carbotech XP8 pads. The stock rear disc are 325mm and 1 piston calipers.

So this is a serious upgrade which maintains braking balance as its a full kit. My only concern is the pads, not used them myself, being in cars with them and they are powerful, as they are new I shall use them as be stupid to throw them away and spend more money, though the guy running them on his CSL highly rates them.

This kit is £5000 new, my budget was £2000, unfortunately I had to spend a little more but I've still save over £2000 of the new price.

Some pictures:-

IMG_0420.jpg~original

IMG_0410.jpg~original

IMG_0427.jpg~original

IMG_0412.jpg~original

IMG_0436.jpg~original

IMG_0909.jpg~original

006-1.jpg~original

That yellow caliper paint I got from Halfords yesterday is now no longer required, ooops as I want gonna paint my stock calipers yellow as AP's when I got some, these are pre-done. :D
When I get a cage that shall be painted yellow too as I am doing a blue/yellow theme. ;)

On a plus side I've got some of the best and most powerful brakes I can buy, certainly the biggest I can get behind 18" wheels.
Cannot wait to get these fitted and some track days on them. :D

Same guy has a cage for sale as well, but spent enough money for now, but that now just leaves cage and finishing of door cards and a good look rear seat delete to cover the exposed metal. :)

Soldato
Those look good!

Quick question, with all the extra pistons over stock do you need a new master brake cylinder to match up with the new over all piston diameter?

Soldato
The CarboTech XP10's are amazing but oh so noisy/squeally, not a problem on a track only car but if you're driving it to the track first they'll deafen you :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Those look good!

Quick question, with all the extra pistons over stock do you need a new master brake cylinder to match up with the new over all piston diameter?

Nope they are designed to work with stock unit and never seen any reported issues. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Those brakes are full of win.

Well I had a deal on a near new set of AP's with RS29's but the guy selling them let them go to someone else even though he knew I was coming for them, insert rude words. They were gonna cost me 2k which was not bad as about £2600 new.

But maybe it was good luck as then this set came available for just a little more than a set of new AP's and these are more powerful and a full front and rear set costing near 5k new.

The guy sold them to me has a 997.2 GT2 RS with ceramics and claims this setup is even more powerful, can't wait to try them, but works perfect both road and track. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
I predict CSL airbox before the year is out. Heck this car seems to be having every other nice part added to it :D

Not so easy on my car, a CSL airbox means I need to buy a load of parts from BMW to fit it as I'd need to re-locate the SMG hardware and reservoir. Not impossible but about another £300 cost on top in parts.

Then I need to visit Evolve for an Alpha N remap, about a further £300 on top and cheap Geoff Steel CSL airbox are around £1500 or a CSL one second hand around £2500-£3000.

So its a 2k+ job and its just for noise, it won't give me any additional performance.

The RR day was perfect for this as a 2006 CS ran with the CSL airbox and Evolve Alpha N tune, it had less torque than mine and only made an additional 5BHP peak.

Plus everyone thinks my car sounds CSL inside due to the exhaust noise in the cabin and as its a CSL exhaust it has a very much CSL note inside. :)

Associate
Nope they are designed to work with stock unit and never seen any reported issues. :)

Epic brakes for the M3, great buy.

Not without their potential issues though, albeit personal preference. I remember back in the day some complained about the pedal feel (longer travel) which I think was down to the pads backing off too much. Some folk went back to AP from Alcon, but purely based on pedal feel rather than either of the two being "better".

Get em on and see how you like it, a master cylinder swap should sort the pedal travel if you don't like it.

Soldato
Ah man, i deliberately haven't looked at this thread in a while, but i gave in. What a machine.

I love the Apex wheels. Are they just your track wheels/tyres or do you use them on the road? Those brakes look fantastic too. With the brakes, that thing is going to be mental on the track.

Are BMW M3 CSL brakes uprated from the standard M3. Are they any better or still suffer the same problems with fade?

What was the problem with your master cylinder btw?

Soldato
My only concern is the pads, not used them myself, being in cars with them and they are powerful, as they are new I shall use them as be stupid to throw them away and spend more money, though the guy running them on his CSL highly rates them.

I run Carbotechs on the MR2, very good pad and the XP8 is probably about the right compound for trackdays. I use the slightly lower temperature AX6 as I bought them for sprinting and have no problem with them on trackdays but these are probably better suited to longer trackday runs.

Back
Top Bottom