Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Most jockey wheels dont have bearings* as such, more of a metal bush around the bolt that they spin on. Still needs to be cleaned and greased - just dont be surprised if it isnt the same as the other bearings on the bike.

*I think, technically, the metal bush is referred to as a 'bearing' but they are probably not ball bearings like wheel hubs, headsets, bottom brackets, etc

That's how my jockey wheels are.

When I've cleaned mine in the past, I've just removed the jockey wheels and arm. Soaked them in degreaser and then cleaned the main body with brushes/clothes degreaser etc.

Soldato
So I sold my Felt F95 and just finished building up my Kinesis T2 to replace it.

The Felt was too big for me (58cm frame) and after trying various things to get it to fit I decided it would be best to just get a more appropriately sized bike.

I will miss it, it's a great looking bike and it served me well on my first cycle tour through France last year.

The Kinesis will be a better all round bike though. I start work in September and will probably try and commute by bike. Being able to fit mudguards and panniers on the Kinesis will be a godsend. This also makes the Kinesis better for any future cycle tours since with the Felt I had to make do with a large saddle bag instead of panniers.

The Kinesis definitely feels lighter than the Felt, although I haven't weighed either of them so can't put any numbers on it. I'm sure the wheels make a big difference.

Anyway here are some pictures, old and new.

_MG_1220-2.jpg

_MG_1637.jpg

Spec for those interested is:

Ultegra derailleurs and cassette
105 shifters
Tektro long reach brakes
Sugino XD2 cranks
TA Zephyr chainrings
Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I take the cage apart and clean and regrease the jockey wheel bearings regularly but i wouldnt want to leave the whole thing soaking in degreaser.
I'v had a derailleur with a seized cage pivot before, that was a right pain in the ass to get back together after i cleaned and greased it. I wouldnt want to risk breaking down the grease inside there and having to do that again!
It's better than nothing, but I'm fairly certain that most of these parts should not be lubricated with grease. Ball bearings, yes, because you can pack the grease in them, but hinged parts like derailleur pivots will rapidly work grease out and it'll run dry, then all the grease will do is sit on the outside and collect dirt. You need to use an oil, which will keep working its way back into the component.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;26128641 said:
Or get a second hand powertap with full service history. I just paid £389 for mine.

Thing is if I'm going to fork out for a power meter is rather spend a bit more to get the flexibility stages offers. I realise it's a lot to pay for something as a training aid for someone who doesn't yet race but now I'm used to having power when training indoors I'm somewhat sold on the benefits already. I find when I'm training outdoors I tend to find in lacking a bit and probably not quite delivering the power I could be at times when doing hill repeats.

Also worth noting that I am looking at moving into racing/time trialling either towards the end of the season (to dip my toe in the water) or from next year

Caporegime
It's boxed with all the bits, just the bare unit. It's got a bit of scuffing from a recent crash, but nothing major.

Happy to do a deal, but not quite sure how selling works on here...

We shouldn't really sell outside the market. I'll send you an email, assuming your trust is set up.

Ok, email sent.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
In my Felt the rear gear when its set to 1/2nd and front to 2, you can hear like the chain is jumping on one tooth. When I pedal backwards the chain sometime gets blocked or jumps on to the next gear down. I'm not great with bikes, but this thing is annoying... Could you guys give a me a useful guide or some advice?

P.S The gears are Shimano Sora

Edit:

http://youtu.be/1B2bu8uHyMc?t=1m50s

Last edited:
Caporegime
In my Felt the rear gear when its set to 1/2nd and front to 2, you can hear like the chain is jumping on one tooth. When I pedal backwards the chain sometime gets blocked or jumps on to the next gear down. I'm not great with bikes, but this thing is annoying... Could you guys give a me a useful guide or some advice?

P.S The gears are Shimano Sora

Edit:

http://youtu.be/1B2bu8uHyMc?t=1m50s

Sounds like bad indexing. You should be able to fix it by adjusting the barrel adjuster at the derailleur. If that doesn't do it, the cable might be bad.

Underboss
At the risk of sounding flippant.just ride your bike as often as you can. Once a week is no good. You can build up to 100 miles quite rapidly if you are moderately fit. I would also suggest that you join a club. Finding other people to ride with is also a good idea especially if they are better than you.

Interval training on a turbo also helps as it gets your legs used to recovering from big efforts. Really for endurance there's isn't much substitute for getting in the miles or on the road afaik.

If you fancy a ride out one day I could ride over your way. Oxford, ish right?

Thanks for your reply

South Oxfordshire I'm in, I'm in a club (well not renewed my membership as of yet but will be shortly to get those extra miles in)

This article seems to suggest that going out just to put miles in is the wrong thing to do ???

http://www.adventurecorps.com/way/fivemistakes.html

Mistake 1: Not Using Speedwork

One common endurance training mistake is just “putting in the miles.” The mentality is that if you put enough miles in the bank in your training, you can withdraw them later as endurance, maybe even miraculously fast endurance. But this approach is boring, a waste of time, and you won’t get substantially faster!

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Sounds like bad indexing. You should be able to fix it by adjusting the barrel adjuster at the derailleur. If that doesn't do it, the cable might be bad.

I did the mistake mentioned in the video, ridden the bike on biggest chain ring and sprocket :( But that shouldn't have a massive impact on the gears, from now on I'll try to avoid this...

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for your reply

South Oxfordshire I'm in, I'm in a club (well not renewed my membership as of yet but will be shortly to get those extra miles in)

This article seems to suggest that going out just to put miles in is the wrong thing to do ???

http://www.adventurecorps.com/way/fivemistakes.html

That is one of the dumbest things I've read? Just do 3 or so weekly rides and add 5 miles each week! And soon you'll be used to high millage rides! That's what I do with lifting! Once I'm comfy with one weight I add extra to kick me out of the comfort zone and keep me working towards the goal.

InQ

InQ

Associate
IMO there is nothing wrong with cross chaining for short periods, i have done it all the time rather than drop to the smaller chainring, never seemed to cause any problems with my setup (10sp or 11sp).

InQ

InQ

Associate
That is one of the dumbest things I've read? Just do 3 or so weekly rides and add 5 miles each week! And soon you'll be used to high millage rides! That's what I do with lifting! Once I'm comfy with one weight I add extra to kick me out of the comfort zone and keep me working towards the goal.

Makes interesting reading...

http://www.triathlon.co.uk/item/basic-training-principles-of-time-trialling

John Morgan is an ex school mate and work mate, we started an apprenticeship together.
TBH i havent seen him for a good few years but he has an impressive palmares and seems to know what he is talking about from stuff i've read and feedback you see.

Caporegime
The problem seems to be that whoever wrote it doesnt understand what the word "endurance" means?

...of course not?
Since when does "endurance" mean increasing speed?

The article refers to RAAM winners and does seem concerned with speed rather than just endurance. I think anything even vaguely comparable to RAAM is beyond all of us here. Well, perhaps it's of some relevance to uniQ... ;)

Soldato
Just in from my first attempt at 'The Bundy'. It was pretty bloody rapid from the off and I made it up the Braidwood climb to get dropped just at the top, Greig brown tried to push and give me his wheel to get onto the bunch again but I was gubbed.

I told him to just go but I had already passed the point I could have taken a short cut and met them again. Wee bit of a windy pedal in the road myself but it gives me a goal next time and to not go too hard at the start of the braidwood climb to have something left at the top :)

Guess that's what happens when Greig, Steven Lawley and Scott McCrossan get together :|

http://www.strava.com/activities/128203783

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom