• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sell 7950, buy 760...

IC3

IC3

Soldato
So my Iceq 7950 run out of warranty some time ago, I'm thinking of trying out nvidia and since I barley play any games (no time) 760 for 169 seems like a good deal.

Some of the options, I thought about.

1. Buy 760, sell 7950
2. Wait till 7950 dies, bake it in the oven and then buy something
3. Your own suggestion

Edit:

P.S I game at 1080p

Soldato
I would keep the 7950. I've never actually had a GPU (touch wood) die on me, I would think the likelihood is quite slim.

Soldato
If you don't play as many games as you used to,

Which is the situation I have found my self in past few years, I had a 4970x2 Which I got a launch as a proper enthusiast, then I got too busy to play games much, so I stuck with it, ran every game I needed to, kept it till it was on its last legs, oven baked it 30 times, it tended to last about a week in the end I think, got fed up of doing so when I wanted to sit at my pc and read the news with my breakfast.

So I got my self my 7950 after that which was a nice 240 quid upgrade, does everything perfectly for me. will probably just keep this until it dies.

Where as "Back in't day" id sell after 1 year, get the latest thing

Soldato
The problem is that the ex-mining cards are currently flooding the second-hand market and driving the price way down - so selling a HD 7950 is not going to be very lucrative at the moment.

If your 7950 still works OK then I would keep it, It will likely be fine for a while yet and jumping to a GTX 760 won't be much of a performance upgrade on balance.

Associate
I've been looking for another IceQ 7950 for a while now, keep missing the ones on ebay.
Would love to try 2 with the modded bios as per IC3's sig.

Caporegime
So my Iceq 7950 run out of warranty some time ago, I'm thinking of trying out nvidia and since I barley play any games (no time) 760 for 169 seems like a good deal.

Some of the options, I thought about.

1. Buy 760, sell 7950
2. Wait till 7950 dies, bake it in the oven and then buy something
3. Your own suggestion

Edit:

P.S I game at 1080p

Bad move, its a downgrade. But if you don't game and just want to try out a different card/the other side, then why not.

Soldato
Let's put it this way-

Assuming IF you can sell your 7950 for £150, going for the GTX760 would be paying £20 extra for a downgrade...doesn't make sense at all.

If I was in your position I'd rather try to find a 2nd hand GTX670 for around £110 or GTX680 for under £150 which both are faster than the stupid cut down GTX760 (GTX760 should REALLY had been a GTX670 rebrand for its original asking price if anything, but nooo...Nvidia thought it would be too great for the consumer, so they decide to cut it down further dropping the number of cores comparing to the GTX670).

Last edited:
Associate
Could you survive on the cpu's integrated graphics? Although I'd go with just keeping the 7950, maybe there will be a game you want to play in the future

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Wise choice.

You seem to pick AMD for x number of gen now, will you be tempted by nvidia maxwell? I didn't have Nvidia GPU in ages, I'm tempted to go for nvidia next time. But I'll probably end up with AMD, as it'll be better value. :p

Caporegime
You seem to pick AMD for x number of gen now, will you be tempted by nvidia maxwell? I didn't have Nvidia GPU in ages, I'm tempted to go for nvidia next time. But I'll probably end up with AMD, as it'll be better value. :p

I buy based on the amount of grunt i can get for my green queens so unless Nvidia pricing changes dramatically im stuck with AMD for the foreseeable future. If i have a bad experience that forces me to switch then i will, but that has yet to happen since i moved from a GeforceMX 440 to a Radeon 9200 (256MB) many years ago.

Permabanned

Ltmatt will never go Nvidia. I've been on both sides many times, but have been very happy with Nv. AMD gpu's are just power suckers....Nv use much less.

Caporegime
Ltmatt will never go Nvidia. I've been on both sides many times, but have been very happy with Nv. AMD gpu's are just power suckers....Nv use much less.

I've used Nvidia before. My first several gpu's were Nvidia gpu's. These days though they don't offer anything more than amd offer, only difference is the price.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I buy based on the amount of grunt i can get for my green queens so unless Nvidia pricing changes dramatically im stuck with AMD for the foreseeable future. If i have a bad experience that forces me to switch then i will, but that has yet to happen since i moved from a GeforceMX 440 to a Radeon 9200 (256MB) many years ago.
But AMD seems to get better every gen, so you'll probably stay with them for a little bit longer. :D

I think you mean the old gen of radeons? The newer gens seem to sometimes be less power hungry.. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom