Needs some help on a monitor upgrade..

Associate
Hi..

Need some help with a monitor upgrade if you would not mind...

I currently have a 24" 1080p screen and was looking at changing this to a 27"+ screen... This is for my main gaming PC..

I am not sure which way to go... looking at what Overclockers have I see two choices...

27" @ 1080p but suing 144hz

or

27" @ 1440p but using 60hz

Cant decide wether to got he higher res or higher hertz... if it helps I always play games with V-sync on as I tend to find running with it off and pushing all thos extra frames seems to just use extra heat on your graphics and 60fps seems smooth as for me..

Rest of the system is i5 @ 4.4 and a overlocker gtx780

One final question can you also get 27" with 1440p res + 144hz at a resonable price vs quality?

Soldato
Hi there,

This is a tough one because not only is there a difference in resolution and refresh rate between these options - but also panel type.

The 144Hz monitors use TN type panels which can switch pixels faster (so better for fast-paced gaming and high refresh rates) however they are not ideal for colour accuracy or wide viewing angles.

In contrast the 1440p monitors use IPS type panels which aren't as suited for fast-paced gaming due to slower-switching pixels (though many people still find them perfectly fine for gaming on). However they do boast very accurate colour and very wide viewing angles - coupled with the higher resolution makes these 1440p IPS monitors a very attractive option.

As for which one to go for, I would suggest picking the one which most fits with how you use your PC. If you are mainly using your PC for fast-paced games then the 144Hz would be great, however if you are playing slower-paced games and/or using windows applications a lot - then the 1440p IPS monitor would probably suit you better.

As for a 27in 1440p 120Hz monitor - one is supposed to be coming in the form of the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q. This one uses a TN panel (not IPS) to achieve the high refresh rate, so the IPS benefits don't apply. As for price, it sounds like it will be $799 USD - so probably £500-600.

Associate
OP
Thank you mate for the above.

The current Panel I have apparently is a VA panel at 8ms response time and I have been told these are similar to IPA panels yet I have no problem with fast action games on this monitor...

Seeing as I only usually run at 60hz anyway and have v-sync on I think maybe the 27" 1440p with a IPS panel would be ok for me as I am not going to use the extra hz but they all seem to be in the £320+ range

Back
Top Bottom