SQL Join question

Soldato
I have a temporary table that I use to populate all of my other tables, naturally the temporary table has everything in it. So to insert to another table I have inserts like this

Code:
INSERT INTO CHANNELS(CHANNELID,CHANNELNAME)
SELECT
   T.CHANNELID, T.CHANNELNAME
FROM
   CHANNELTEMP T
   LEFT JOIN CHANNELS C ON C.CHANNELNAME=T.CHANNELNAME
WHERE C.CHANNELNAME IS NULL
GROUP BY T.CHANNELNAME

Which works great when channels is empty. Sometimes however I get an error which says something along the lines of 'Duplicate channelid '12345' exists for primary key'

So it sounds like I'm trying to insert a channelid which already exists in channels.

Essentially I want to insert anything from channeltemp that isn't in channels.

In an attempt to refresh my knowledge on joins I found this diagram.

VQ5XP.png

To me this indicated that I needed the same SQL as above but a right join instead. This however doesn't give me any inserts into the channels table!

Associate
Have you tried using the ChannelID field in your JOIN rather than the ChannelName? If the ChannelName is not unique that might be causing the duplicate key issue.

Soldato
OP
hmmm yeah I really don't know why I was using channelname instead of channelid (revisting old code from 2 years ago), in theory there shouldn't be duplicate channelsnames either! I'll give it a go though thanks.

Associate
You're not truly using a tempTable there are you? eg a # table.

Does the Channeltemp have the primary key on there? If not, it might be that your trying to add record sets multiple times. Which is fine on the temp (without a key) but soon as you insert where there is a constraint then you hit the issue.

Soldato
OP
Again both good points, I can't recall any reason to groupby, yes it is a proper temporary table and no the temporary table doesn't have any primary keys, it does however have an index on the channelname

Associate
I take it you aren't using T-SQL? TempTables always have a # e.g. in your case it would be #CHANNELTEMP. Otherwise you've create a 'real' table in the schema.

Insert the data into the temporary table and select * from it before the insert. See what is actually in there.

I'm also assuming the main table does have primary keys, which is what is throwing up the error. I can only assume somewhere there is a duplicate ID.

Try [ Select T.CHANNELID, count(T.CHANNELNAME) from ChannelTemp group By T.ChannelID ] after the insert to Temptable

If there are any >1 then that's your issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nope I'm using MySQL

Code:
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE CHANNELTEMP (
   CHANNELID INT NOT NULL, CHANNELNAME VARCHAR(100), INDEX(CHANNELNAME))

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS CHANNELS (
   CHANNELID INT NOT NULL, CHANNELNAME VARCHAR(100), INDEX(CHANNELNAME), PRIMARY KEY(CHANNELID)
                                  ) ENGINE=INNODB

Back
Top Bottom