• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When are the Intel 2014 chips expected ?

Associate
Lads

The recommended spec for Watch Dogs is an 8 thread cpu, and I've a funny feeling now the next gen consoles are out, this is the way PC gaming is going to go in 2014.

I've got a Sandybridge board in my rig with a 2500K, so I could go with a 3770K. Or, I could wait till the 2014 chips are out (am I right in thinking this gen is Broadwell?)

Are there any rough estimates ?

Thanks

Caporegime
It's not broadwell that's coming, it's just a tweaked Haswell (Perhaps better OC'ing)

The consoles 8 threads/cores aren't all working on the game, I think only 6 are on the game.

Wait until the game comes out, but I can't see a overclocked 2500K not coping.

I'd probably get a second hand i7 3770K in your shoes if you wanted more performance.

Associate
TBH I'd stick with the 2500K until you go with either Haswell-E or wait for the nm change with Skylake.

I'm still on Lynnfield with single channel DDR3 (faulty slot on the mobo) and all games run on ultra with my R9 290 and not planning to upgrade unless it's either of the above, which should be good for another 4 years.

Soldato
IIRC the first week of June (Computex) is the likely launch window for the new Haswell Refresh CPUs and 9 series motherboards. However, the Haswell-E (8 core CPU, DDR4) are not expected until the second half of this year.

But tbh if you have a 2500K then I don't see you having any trouble playing any upcoming AAA games, especially if it's overclocked. The reccomended spec for watchdogs is an 8 core CPU - but it's an AMD one. I think it's very likely that even with a 4 core 4 thread i5 it will be able to power through a game like Watchdogs using its high instructions per clock and high clockspeed.

Soldato
The specs for Watch Dogs is over an kill, so I'm sure your CPU will be fine. Its the graphics card which is going to make more of an impact on the up coming games in 2014.

Soldato
The specs for Watch Dogs is over an kill, so I'm sure your CPU will be fine. Its the graphics card which is going to make more of an impact on the up coming games in 2014.

For sure, this is a game that has been designed to run well on the new consoles which have a 8 core x86 AMD CPU which only runs at 1.6-1.8GHz, so its pretty inconcievable that it will run badly on a 3.3GHz Intel Quad core.

Plus, Watch Dogs was supposedly developed with PC being the "lead platform", so its unlikely that it will arrive playing like some "bad console port" or not work well on the most popular PC gaming CPU type (quad core).

Soldato
I thought the Haswell refresh is coming this month? with the 4790k coming May or June?

On intel's slides about "devil's canyon" they seem to be saying "Mid Year 2014" for the release. I admit, that could be any time from now until July, however this would tie up quite well with Computex in Taiwan which is running in the first week of june and last year Intel used this event to officially launch their Haswell line of CPUs.

I'm just about to upgrade from a 3770k. Don't care about x99.

Fair play, but Haswell refresh isn't expected to be more that Haswell with slightly better binning and decent stock TIM (between the CPU and heatspreader). Compared to a decent clocking 3770K there is unlikely to be much perfromance improvement. Instead, the Broadwell chips which release in late Q3 may be more attractive to you.

Soldato
Im waiting as well. Not sure I can hold out for X99 by the time it actually hits the shelves it will probably be October time? Might wait and see what the devils canyon chips bring, if they are really good over clockers, as they are intended to be, they might be a really good gaming cpu, and the extra benefits of X99 might be hard to justify from a gaming point of view.

Permabanned
On intel's slides about "devil's canyon" they seem to be saying "Mid Year 2014" for the release. I admit, that could be any time from now until July, however this would tie up quite well with Computex in Taiwan which is running in the first week of june and last year Intel used this event to officially launch their Haswell line of CPUs.

Fair play, but Haswell refresh isn't expected to be more that Haswell with slightly better binning and decent stock TIM (between the CPU and heatspreader). Compared to a decent clocking 3770K there is unlikely to be much perfromance improvement. Instead, the Broadwell chips which release in late Q3 may be more attractive to you.

I was hoping it was sooner then later. Can't wait for broadwell. I'll have the cash shortly and it wont be around long so need to make a decision quickly. Early June would be the best time.

Soldato
Lads

The recommended spec for Watch Dogs is an 8 thread cpu, and I've a funny feeling now the next gen consoles are out, this is the way PC gaming is going to go in 2014.

I've got a Sandybridge board in my rig with a 2500K, so I could go with a 3770K. Or, I could wait till the 2014 chips are out (am I right in thinking this gen is Broadwell?)

Are there any rough estimates ?

Thanks

I'm sure a i5 2500k will be fine, when the game comes out play it and see what happens.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I thought the Haswell refresh is coming this month? with the 4790k coming May or June?

I'm just about to upgrade from a 3770k. Don't care about x99.

I think general talk is that series 9 motherboards or Z97 motherboards will arrive next month and then 4790k in June.

It would be best to wait if one can manage 8-10 weeks even by then prices will drop on the previous haswells and Z87s especially on flebay and members market here.

Also think they suggested that broadwell cpus or the 5770K this fall will work on Z97 mobos if required, but I bet a new chipset with DDR4 will be coming.

No wonder why they have a members market :p

Soldato
Is the 2500K the new Q6600? Each and every new socket that comes out, the 'don't bother' lads seem to far far outweigh the upgrade every year lads

Pretty much, it isn't as fast as Haswell - but clock-for-clock its only 10-20% slower in terms of IPC. When you consider that it can overclock better than a Haswell or Ivy Bridge (without de-lidding) then this IPC disadvantage can largely be countered by an agressive overclock.

Hence if a guy has a 4.5GHz i5 2500K in a gaming machine and is considering upgrading the CPU, the standard answer right now is "Hold".

Back
Top Bottom