Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
My cordless when at work was Bosch 24v GBH - it would drill into anything - it's only drawback was it was heavy - It's gone now due to batteries going due to lack of use since retiring but did use the new Bosch 36v SDS cordless - What a superb tool - light and powerful and it comes with built in shock absorber in body - you can't feel anything - But at 400quid or so you need to be drilling a lot of holes on daily basis. - the 24v batteries were £89 each.

To get SDS function now I have a Lidl 240 v corded SDS drill - it works fine for £29.

A mate of mine worked at Makita as a buyer - he said Makita made a fortune on batteries.

Dave

Associate
A few on my cordless tools :)

The Dewalt 785 is a great drill, ive just finished fitting a kitchen and pretty much used it 100% of the time, the Black and decker drill and attachments is surprisingly OK, I picked it up for a very very good price.

IMG_20140410_210115_zps7iykwgbs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20140410_210414_zpsi4rsydi6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20140410_210839_zpssh3jowc4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Soldato
OP
Intresting collection you have there.

How do you find that tiddly Bosch screwdriver, there are times when I could use a compact screwdriver.

Does that oscillating multi tool attachment work ok on the Ryobi?

Associate
The screwdriver is great for getting into those hard to reach places like inside cabinets etc, they have decent torque and can drive a decent size screw in, the Bosch one must be close to 10 years old now and still going strong.

The oscillating multi tool attachment is for the Black and decker drill, the front of the drill comes off and you can attach the impact driver, multi tool, jig saw and sander.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the bosch multi tool. Fantastic bit of kit. £99 from screwfix with a handful of accessories. Brilliant for laminate flooring and the need to cut the bottoms of existing architraves for it to slot under. Great for other jobs too. £99 you cant go wrong.

Soldato
For those times when other power tools just won't cut the mustard:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb280drh-15-5kg-breaker-230v/67819

Well, more specifically, those times when you need to smash the four-asterisks out of something. Especially useful for, well, breaking up concrete with such ease, tears of glee will well in your eyes as you realise you own probably the manliest tool out of everyone you know.

Don't waste time with a sledgehammer, chisels, pickaxes or SDS breakers - buy one of these if you need to go through anything more than a thin concrete base or similar. I used mine to blast through a >12" thick concrete wall foundation to allow holes for fence posts to be dug. Hire cost for me was about half the cost of this breaker to do the first job I needed it for, and I've already had a use for it since buying, so was a worthwhile purchase for me.

Soldato
Anyone have a multi tool? I'd like the new DeWalt DCS355 but I'm not convinced I actually need it. I think I'm just trying to justify it to myself!

Looks like a really good tool, has a brushless motor so should have a decent runtime if my brushless impact driver is anything to go by.

I went for the Dewalt corded multi tool and am very happy with it so far. It's a tool that I dont use all the time, so didnt think it was worth paying the extra for the cordless version, but now they do a naked version, so wish I'd have waited. They both have variable speed trigger and tool free blade change, which are really useful features and set them apart from other multi tools out there.

The only thing I dont like is that the blades can be a bit expensive. There are some cheaper makes about, which are pretty decent, but even they are still a bit expensive. Hopefully the prices will drop as they become more popular..

Soldato
Can anybody recommend a few decent driver bits please?

The ones that come in the Makita set are ok for smaller stuff but for 3" screws or longer they just don't do the trick, I bought some titanium coated ones from screwfix and
They're better but one of the teeth if you like has chipped off on one of them. I guess they do last quite well and don't chew screws up.

Are there any better ones around? Think the screwfix ones are about £1 each.

Soldato
Most of these sets are just re-branded cheap rubbish. Saying that, even a cheap driver bit should sink a 3" screw without breaking.

The best bits I have tried are Wera, but they are very expensive. Currently using some Milwaukee Shockwave bits that are designed for impact drivers. They seem to be decent enough so far. Can get a box of 25 for around £6 on ebay, which is pretty cheap for how long they last.

Soldato
I'm shopping for a 10.8V mini driver and impact set.
I was going to buy just the Milwaukee C12D Cordless Screwdriver for about £99 and make do with a ratchet set or a bigger impact I've got for the job, but it's only light work so smaller ad lighter is preferable.

I saw the Makita kit LCT204W can be had for about £130 which seems pretty much a no brainer as it's basically double the value of the Milwaukee.

But what else is out the in the 10.8V mini driver and impact set?
Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Don
Associate
I'm shopping for a 10.8V mini driver and impact set.
I was going to buy just the Milwaukee C12D Cordless Screwdriver for about £99 and make do with a ratchet set or a bigger impact I've got for the job, but it's only light work so smaller ad lighter is preferable.

I saw the Makita kit LCT204W can be had for about £130 which seems pretty much a no brainer as it's basically double the value of the Milwaukee.

But what else is out the in the 10.8V mini driver and impact set?
Any recommendations?

The Dewalt 10.8v impact driver set is only £150 for the set, a m8 of mine owns it and i was quiet surprised how powerfull it is for 10.8v.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...tracking url&gclid=CKmojqLO870CFRCWtAodYWgACA

Back
Top Bottom