Migrating to Office365 (Hosted Exchange)

Soldato
Hi all, just wondering if there is any step-by-step guidance on how to migrate from an onsite Exchange 2010 environment to a hosted Office 365?

Had a quick scan around but can't find anything!

Soldato
Caporegime
It's easy. Point your MX at your O365 instance and set up the delivery in that to pass messages onto your Exchange server as well. As you're on Exchange you have AD already so just federate to O365 and update the clients. There are migration tools to bring old messages across.

Soldato
OP
I want to fully migrate all mailboxes across to O365 and then bin the on site Exchange server. All of our other servers are on site (for now) and everyone uses the full Outlook 2010 client - if I just migrate all users to 365 what config will be needed clientside, will there be any change to their experience?

Also, was at a supplier event on 365 not long back and they were talking about using I AM CLOUD's Federate365 product or something? Does anyone know what that is needed for specifically? Is it something to do with single sign on?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Everything you need to federate with an AD domain is included with O365 for no extra costs as long as you have the right product.

When you change your DNS over to O365 then part of this will involve the change in autoconfig information so new clients pick up the new servers automatically. Existing clients I think will require some intervention, I'm not 100% sure but I think you can initiate this from your Exchange server to say "go and look here now" - or to be a bit bodge-tastic if you are using the same credentials then you can add a DNS entry to point requests to your existing Exchange server to O365 while you get around to updating clients.

Soldato
We've certainly not got any clients reversing their decision after moving to 365... and we're dealing with a huge number of seats

I'd harbour that a) whoever did the implementation did a shocker and made it more complex than it should be or b) the technical team are leading these decisions for your client and are protecting their own interests

Things like exchange are a commodity item, unless you have specific reasons to do so (e.g. security/governance) then there is no reason to on-prem exchange any more.

Back
Top Bottom