What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I have started to cover my garage walls in adjustable shelving. I have done one wall, just two more to go. It means I will finally have the space to park a car in there, great success! Out of interest I checked out B&Q for prices on these things - LAWDY LAWD!

£11 for ONE upright!
£4 for ONE bracket??

That's just for one small lump of painted metal and before I bought the actual shelves. Needless to say, I looked elsewhere and purchased online with free delivery. Garage is coming on nicely though :)

Associate
I imagine you're adding a rail to that stair (assuming the toys are your kids =p)

I was going to leave it and then only the smartest children will survive! But strangely the wife isn't going for it.

The new handrail and spindles are my job for the easter break :)

Last night I removed the remains of the doorway which is just to the left of the stairs to open it up a bit more. Had to remove a bit of glass from on top on the door and it was going so well until I tapped too hard with a hammer and it exploded everywhere :(

Soldato
Tell me more about this? Doesn't it stink/make it a fire hazard? Suppose it is wood anyway! Doesn't it brush off on your clothes if you walk past it?

Creosote stinks anyway but I can't smell engine oil. It takes a week or so to dry and it will rub off on your clothes but after a while it dries off - I used that mix on a wooden garage I built and even after 20 yrs it looked new and had no rot anywhere.

You can get real Creosote online - I just had 20 ltrs and with postage it was 10 quid for 5 ltrs. - I don't put a lot of engine oil in possibly less than 25% but never more.

Dave

Soldato
Painted 3 x 6' x 6' and 3 x 6' x 5' fence panels and oxygen bleached the decking which I'm hoping to clear oil tomorrow. Right, time to get the Hobgoblin out....

Last edited:
Soldato
Made a start to removing the concrete fort around the existing grass which will be removed,

zxELFEk.jpg

Only did a quick 45mins since I'll be off to the football shortly. I reckon i should have it sorted by the end of the week if i do a little each night after work.

Associate
After some more checking that it didn't have any load bearing potential, I've removed the door frame that was at the bottom of the stairs. Got some tidying up to do now and then lots of sanding

Associate
Ripped apart my downstairs bathroom including taking all plastic cladding off walls and ceiling, take tiles off walls, unboxing the ... boxing in, toilet, sink and cabinet out and capped and an hour spent trying to work out the electrics (16a circuit labelled as alarm powering lights and extractor fan with buried wiring confusing the matter).

Just tidied up the wiring to remove a wall switch ready for a pull switch and new light.

The good news is that the walls and ceiling are relatively sound. I expected all sorts under the cladding didn't expect boards on the ceiling at all so saved on time, board and battens.

On another note, small lengths of twin and earth are annoyingly expensive.

Associate
Another wee stint in the garden and some more concrete and stone moved! Only half way round the grass but wedging the pick axe under the stone and levering up makes things move along a lot quicker!

I don't envy you. Did my garden last year, every night for 3 weeks including take out fence posts and digging out concreted in deck supports - 3 skip loads. My knee ached for a month after and I don't get aches and pains!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom