Sayings that make your blood boil.

Associate
When someone is talking about a new Game or a new tech, if they mention anything about making it more "Social" or say anything like "a new way to connect with your friends", I instantly stop reading.

EDIT: Another one is when someone says "This will change the way we play games". I seem to remember Peter Molyneux saying this is in nearly every interview he's been in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hard work (on the right things) pays off
on the right things
the right things
right things

Since you seem to have missed it the first 12 times... :p
Seeing as you missed my point.

THE RIGHT THINGS MIGHT BE POINTLESS THINGS.

To any public service workers: "I pay your wages".
Oh yes, you can't hear it but things explode in my head every time someone uses that phrase.

Caporegime
Sayings that get on my nerves?

"Hard work pays off"

It doesn't, hard work and luck are what pay, you can slog your guts out 16 hours a day and still end up without a pot to **** in at the end of it.

But you can't control luck while you can work hard to improve your odds.
One should also not just work hard but work intelligently towards the objectives. Lots of people seem to think a brute force approach by grinding away for hundreds of hours is all that is required.

For example, when revising for an exam someone might read over the lecture notes for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 4 weeks and assume that that is going to guarantee them the A. Someone else might approach the lecturer to find out more information about expected topics and questions in the exam, look at past papers to discover likely questions, make more condensed notes and cheat sheets of essential information, analyze the material to really see where their strengths and weakness are, redo old course work, find course work from previous years, research alternative sources of the information, ensure that revision is done after sufficient rest and not to overwork the brain too much. In the latter case the person may revise for 6-8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 2-3 weeks (enjoying longer and more frequent breaks, good night sleeps, days off) and will enter the exam with a much higher chance of getting the A.

The first person worked hard, but not intelligently.

Caporegime
"Stop hitting me, stop hitting me. No, please, no" and blahblahblah.

Really riles me up.

"please don't rape me, please, I'm begging you, somebody help"
I mean, its only rape if you don't give consent so instead of screaming your head off when no one can hear you just say you want me!:eek:

Soldato
"Everything happens for a reason" - Ironically they are not speaking about causality (which fits the description) but the exact opposite.

"Someone for everyone" - Except for all those people who die single & alone.

"I'm not X, but...." - Anybody who has to qualify a statement with a prefix to negate any perceived racism or sexism isn't likely to be talking **** to begin with.

"People in Glass Houses shouldn't sink ships"

"Does the Pope **** in the Woods?"

"Does a Bear wear a funny hat?"
I'm sure I've actually heard at least one of these.

Back
Top Bottom