Connecting flights

Associate
Out of curiosity what don't you like about flying Virgin?

Compared to the likes of Singapore Airlines I didn't think the service was as attentive and I only flew economy with Singapore whereas I flew premium economy with Virgin. I thought that the media selection was more varied on the Singapore Airlines flight and I also thought that the food quality was better and there was a little more of it and better selection. The virgin flight home recently was the first flight I've not eaten all of my meal and departed the aircraft feeling hungry. I didn't eat the meal because it was just bleh, that is the best way I can describe it.

As I said above I also think their airmile system is ridiculous but I cannot comment on other airlines as Virgin is who I've flown with for business most. Singapore and Cathay were flown for personal trips.

I'm sure there are others who have had great flights on Virgin aircraft. Based on my recent other long hauls and how I remember Virgin to be back in 2007-2009 I think they've gone downhill a little that's all.

Associate
Just been to the Rugby Sevens in Hong Kong with Emirates with the same route as you LHR - Dubai - Hong Kong.

We had plenty of time during the Dubai stop over, could have a little walk around for an hour then jump on the plane for the second leg.

Also went to Bangkok after then back to Heathrow via Dubai from there.

All for £612 ;) Emirates was a really nice airline, the A380 is huge and leg room is the best I have seen for economy and the food was pretty good too.

Soldato
In december I did BHX to BKK via Dubia with Emirates and had a great experience.

Two hour lay over with no fuss at all. The hardest thing was walking the distance to the departure gate which seemed like miles. Awesome airport though!

Don
In december I did BHX to BKK via Dubia with Emirates and had a great experience.

!

I did BHX-DXB-SGN and BKK-DXB-BHX recebtly and was all veru good, Dubai to Saigon plane was dated but still ok

Have same booked again for next feb and the BKK-DXB leg is now on A380 :)

Soldato
On the subject of these routes I'd really recommend Royal Brunei. Much cheaper usually and the only downside is no alcohol on flight (just got wasted before). Other than that the service was great, planes well kept, best film selection I've seen and generally a really good experience. I've previously flown with Singapore and Etihad so comparing to them.

I flew to Dubai for £330 and that seems like the normal going rate, whereas BA/Etihad/Emirates are all ~£450 on average for the same leg.

Last edited:
Soldato
I flew from Kansai (Japan) to Manchester via Amsterdam with KLM last year (and doing the same again in a couple of weeks).

My return flight was delayed by an hour and the connection was only 1h20 so I got put on the next flight (which they told us all the details for whilst on the previous flight) and on arrival at the terminal, got a voucher for food and drinks to fill the time in the terminal.

Soldato
How much cheaper are people finding Emirates compared to other airlines for flights to SG, KL and HK?
Each of these has direct flights to and from London with multiple carriers.
I can understand breaking the journey if going elsewhere, or having onwards connections to Oz, or Indonesia etc, but when going straight to those others hubs why split the flight at all?

Don
How much cheaper are people finding Emirates compared to other airlines for flights to SG, KL and HK?
Each of these has direct flights to and from London with multiple carriers.
I can understand breaking the journey if going elsewhere, or having onwards connections to Oz, or Indonesia etc, but when going straight to those others hubs why split the flight at all?

I take the connecting flights as it allows me to fly from a more local airport, the 2 hrs in Dubai is offset by not having to go to Heathrow and the cheaper parking is a bonus

Soldato
I take the connecting flights as it allows me to fly from a more local airport, the 2 hrs in Dubai is offset by not having to go to Heathrow and the cheaper parking is a bonus

Oh I can understand that, if I was ever to fly to Perth I'd do it from Dublin, not Heathrow etc, but for those leaving LHR which is the vast majority given the traffic, I don't see the benefit.
How much cheaper are people finding it? as I can't find it cheaper with connections, for flights that could otherwise be a single flight direct.

Soldato
I did BHX-DXB-SGN and BKK-DXB-BHX recebtly and was all veru good, Dubai to Saigon plane was dated but still ok

Have same booked again for next feb and the BKK-DXB leg is now on A380 :)

DXB-BKK was on a A380 and honestly I rated the 777-300 as a better experience. The media system in the A380 was dreadful compared to the 777 and the 777 had more room (I'm 6'4" so notice every spare mm)

Another thing I noticed was windows seats on the A380 are a nightmare to sleep in. Because they're so big the windows is a few inches further away so there's a gap you have to pad out.

The A380 was quieter and smoother than the 777 but overall I didn't get the wow factor I'd been expecting.

Don
ah well, be nice to see what it's like:)

never take any notice of the entertainment systems these days, just load tablets up and then I know I will get what I want

Associate
DXB-BKK was on a A380 and honestly I rated the 777-300 as a better experience. The media system in the A380 was dreadful compared to the 777 and the 777 had more room (I'm 6'4" so notice every spare mm)

Another thing I noticed was windows seats on the A380 are a nightmare to sleep in. Because they're so big the windows is a few inches further away so there's a gap you have to pad out.

The A380 was quieter and smoother than the 777 but overall I didn't get the wow factor I'd been expecting.

Were the A380 and 777 with the same airline Prophet? My experience was the other way around. My Singapore Airlines flights were on an A380 out of LHR and I flew back on a 777. Much preferred the A380. As you say much quieter and smoother, I didn't notice any difference in leg room (6'3" here but with very long legs). I find the systems, flaps, undercarriage etc, on the 777 a lot quieter than the A380 but when flying changes in altitude are much more noticeable on the 777. Mostly when they climb as they have to apply a lot more thrust and you hear it more. When I first heard the A380 flaps working for the first time I thought something was broken. A really high pitched noise! In contrast I thought the pilot was doing a belly landing in the 777, didn't even feel the undercarriage go down.

Soldato
I'm looking to travel from Hong Kong to London Heathrow with Emirates, but there is a 2 hour stop at Dubai. I've never been long haul before, is that enough time and will I have to get the bags though check in again? What happens if the first plane is delayed?

Im going from Gatwick to Osaka on the 8th myself, like your my first long haul and my first time ill have to get a connecting flight.

Im going with emirates via Dubai as well, and like most other have said we have nothing to worry about

Soldato
Were the A380 and 777 with the same airline Prophet? My experience was the other way around. My Singapore Airlines flights were on an A380 out of LHR and I flew back on a 777. Much preferred the A380. As you say much quieter and smoother, I didn't notice any difference in leg room (6'3" here but with very long legs). I find the systems, flaps, undercarriage etc, on the 777 a lot quieter than the A380 but when flying changes in altitude are much more noticeable on the 777. Mostly when they climb as they have to apply a lot more thrust and you hear it more. When I first heard the A380 flaps working for the first time I thought something was broken. A really high pitched noise! In contrast I thought the pilot was doing a belly landing in the 777, didn't even feel the undercarriage go down.

I flew with with Emirates. What revision of the 777 were you on? I flew on the 777-300er which I believe may have had a recent refit (very large touch screens and quite fresh looking).

Honestly I didn't notice much about the engine sounds but did notice how quiet the undercarriage was. I usually find myself listening out for it!

Associate
I can't say I remember which 777 I flew back on from Singapore. Checking their site and it seems they fly A380's on the flight I flew back now too. I suspect that the 777s Singapore and Cathay were using that I flew on were older 200 series then. Definitely no touch screens on board either of them.

Associate
I recently did this trip to Hong Kong with Emirates but from Manchester. Cathay Pacific were slightly cheaper for a direct flight but I wanted the 2 hour break.

I had about 45 mins to myself each way in Dubai, just enough time to go to the toilet and sit down with a drink. Dubai airport is incredibly busy as you can imagine!

If you are looking for a hotel on a budget I can recommend Hotel LBP on Hong Kong Island. It's around 10 minutes walk from Sheung Wan station.

Back
Top Bottom