Removing a drill chuck

Associate
I have a fairly old drill (bosch psb 500re) with a knackered chuck. I can't figure out if it's possible to get it off as it doesn't have the usual screw inside. Is the whole drill essentially a disposable item or is there someway to get it off?

Cheers

Dave

Soldato
Usually if they don't have screws you drive a wedge in and it sort of "snaps out"

Try it at your own risk but that's how I've seen some older drills put together. You need to really hit it hard though.

Soldato
You need to fully open the chuck, if you look closely,will see screw, right down at the bottom of the chuck,you need to remove it first.

Then use a large pair of slip joints, stilsons are better, as you can whack them with a hammer to loosen chuck, or large allen key tighten in the chuck and smack it with a hammer.

Screw is left hand thread, chuck needs to be hit anti clockwise.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As per my original post, doesn't seem to be any screw inside the chuck. Annoyingly the shaft the chuck is mounted on doesn't have a hexagonal bit, it's round. And even more annoyingly the chuck spins freely when the drill is off, regardless of wether is in forward or reverse.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom