windows 8.1 moans its out of ram, but it isnt?

Associate
for some reason since the new 8.1 update my desktop keeps meaning its out of ram. that little pop up moaning its got no ram so it wants to close my browser. when i look at the ram usage its sitting at about 4.5GB, the most ive seen it go to is 4.7 out of 8.

i do have the pagefile turned right down to 512mb but as its not getting close to using all the ram anyway i dont see how that should be an issue.

so erm suggestions whats wrong or is the 8.1 update just buggered.

Associate
OP
i had not read that thread, so i change that value to 4 but the computer isnt showing the ram is being used. not in the task manager anyway. it shows the machine has plenty of ram free.

Soldato
i had not read that thread, so i change that value to 4 but the computer isnt showing the ram is being used. not in the task manager anyway. it shows the machine has plenty of ram free.

Its your pagefile. Even if you had 16GB of ram, Windows still needs a decent pagefile, to page stuff.

Associate
OP
could explain why? as i understand it the page file is essentially spillover space where things in memory can be temporarily placed when ram grows tight. is this not the case? also the pagefile size hasnt changed. the only thing that changed from before to now was that latest 8.1 update.

Soldato
Can you give some extra information?

Which browser are you using? Is it only the browser that is complaining of memory shortage? How much memory is the browser using in Task Manager when it you get this message.

Associate
OP
waterfox mostly, it was sitting about 1.2GB i think chrome was also running too some of the time. the browser was thi thing using most ram so i presume thats whit it wanted to close it.

the only browser? it was windows complaining not the browser.

Soldato
hmm well ive bumped it to 4gb. still i dont see why it should be and why its only just suddenly became a problem.

Because it's quite a bit more complex than just acting as "spillover" for when your system memory is fully utilised. There's a reason the 'system managed' value is what it is.

Associate
OP
okay, that was pre coffee but still as i said before this hasnt been a problem untill now. and if the pagefile does other things, fine, but why is the comp huffing about no memory left when three and a half gb are sitting empty.

Soldato
okay, that was pre coffee but still as i said before this hasnt been a problem untill now. and if the pagefile does other things, fine, but why is the comp huffing about no memory left when three and a half gb are sitting empty.

I don't know a great deal about the specifics of how virtual memory and paging works myself. All I do know is that 9 times out of 10, when someone on here posts they're having "out of memory" issues and the like it's because they've fiddled with their pagefile settings.

Soldato
Those "Out of Memory" errors will be in reference to virtual memory, not physical memory. It is an indication of hitting something called the system commit limit, which is calculated based on the amount of physical memory of the system plus the size of the paging file(s). When processes allocate certain types of virtual memory, the allocation is charged against the commit limit. Windows is making you a commitment it will be able to back that data by physical memory or store it on disk in a paging file. Once you have reached the commit limit, Windows can no longer give you a guarantee it will have some form of medium to store that data and will therefore fail the allocation.

Other than the fact that the amount of physical memory installed in the machine and the size of the paging file make up a system wide limit, there is no correlation between physical and virtual memory. A process merely allocating committed virtual memory will only have an impact on the system committed virtual memory requirements of the system. It is only when the process touches those pages of memory does it demand it to be backed by physical memory.

The role of the paging file, despite a lot of people's misunderstandings on the subject, isn't about satisfying the system when it runs out of physical memory. The purpose of the paging file is to enable the system to page things out which are not otherwise backed by files on disk. When for instance executable files or DLL's need to be removed from physical memory, they don't need to be written to disk beforehand, they can simply be ejected. If the system needs those pieces of code again, they will simply be retrieved from the original file location. This is opposed to pages of memory that are private to a process, which if ejected from memory will be written to the paging file, assuming you have one, of course.

It's also worth saying the paging file isn't some kind of mystical creature which is an absolute necessity in order for Windows to function correctly. The system isn't going to turn radioactive as soon as the paging file is disabled. If there is no paging file, the private pages of memory which are sitting on the modified page list waiting to be written out to disk will need to stay resident in physical memory (on the modified page list) because there isn't anywhere for them to be paged out too. While this will result in less physical memory being available for other purposes, it doesn't cause any issue in itself.

The actual issue which arises from disabling the paging file is related to the system commit limit. If there is no paging file, the commit limit can only ever be the value equal to the amount of physical memory of the system. If your workload requires more system committed virtual memory than the amount of RAM you have, you’re going to run into those "Your system is low on memory" errors, which is in a best case scenario.

Here is some more information on the subject if anyone is interested:

Papers:

Videos:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its Microsoft, or more specifically Windows 8, it doesn't matter how much system memory you have, or how much its using, it will always want to write masses of data to disk, IE page filling.

I tuned my Page File down to 4GB, as soon as 4GB of system Ram was exceeded crash and out of memory error, 6GB and the same thing again...

it seems to want you to have the same amount of Page file as you do system RAM, and its not how much system RAM you have but how much Page File you set which causes the problem.

This is a pain for SSD users in two ways, one it uses up what little space you have, and more importantly wrecks the drive as its constantly writing to disk despite the fact that you have 80% of System RAM unused.

I used to run 2GB of page file in Windows 7, it was never a problem nor was it hardly used.

Its just yet another Windows 8 aggravation.

Back
Top Bottom