windows 8.1 moans its out of ram, but it isnt?

Soldato
I tuned my Page File down to 4GB, as soon as 4GB of system Ram was exceeded crash and out of memory error, 6GB and the same thing again...

it seems to want you to have the same amount of Page file as you do system RAM, and its not how much system RAM you have but how much Page File you set which causes the problem.

I am not intending to be confrontational, and I apologise if I come across in such a manner, but the information you have written above isn't factual, and is purely conjecture.

While it is very easy to get the following impression from reading various pieces of information on the internet regarding this subject, the paging file isn't some kind of unknown mystical entity within Windows. It has particular roles and has an impact on certain resources of a system, which is documented from authoritative figures on the subject of Windows Memory Management and the internals of Windows. Unfortunately though, unless you have a great enthusiasm for this topic, and this probably applies to most things, the majority of information one may come across probably won't be very accurate.

If you're interested in expanding your knowledge on the subject of Windows Memory Management though, the links I posted in my first post in this thread are defiantly worth exploring. I am certainly always very interested in gaining a greater understanding on the things which interest me, whether that will be introducing me to new information and / or correcting my current understanding (false information and inaccuracies) on a certain subject. :)

Caporegime
I am not intending to be confrontational, and I apologise if I come across in such a manner, but the information you have written above isn't factual, and is purely conjecture.

While it is very easy to get the following impression from reading various pieces of information on the internet regarding this subject, the paging file isn't some kind of unknown mystical entity within Windows. It has particular roles and has an impact on certain resources of a system, which is documented from authoritative figures on the subject of Windows Memory Management and the internals of Windows. Unfortunately though, unless you have a great enthusiasm for this topic, and this probably applies to most things, the majority of information one may come across probably won't be very accurate.

If you're interested in expanding your knowledge on the subject of Windows Memory Management though, the links I posted in my first post in this thread are defiantly worth exploring. I am certainly always very interested in gaining a greater understanding on the things which interest me, whether that will be introducing me to new information and / or correcting my current understanding (false information and inaccuracies) on a certain subject. :)

All i know is in Windows 7 i could reduce the size of my Page File to save My SSD some space and wear.

In Windows 8/8.1 i can't, Games / Apps crash out with "out of Memory" errors even if there is plenty of RAM left, i can see it happening in the System Monitor Gadget, total memory usage builds and builds..... while the RAM its self changes little.

The Write Rate on my SSD has shot up since using Windows 8.

Caporegime
That SSD will be old and worthless long before it gets worn out by having a page file stored on it. Leave the settings alone, Windows knows more about how to manage its own memory than you do.

Associate
All i know is in Windows 7 i could reduce the size of my Page File to save My SSD some space and wear.

In Windows 8/8.1 i can't, Games / Apps crash out with "out of Memory" errors even if there is plenty of RAM left, i can see it happening in the System Monitor Gadget, total memory usage builds and builds..... while the RAM its self changes little.

I have Windows 8.1 and 16gb of RAM. I set the pagefile to 2gb and have never had a problem.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
it seems to want you to have the same amount of Page file as you do system RAM, and its not how much system RAM you have but how much Page File you set which causes the problem.

This is a pain for SSD users in two ways, one it uses up what little space you have, and more importantly wrecks the drive as its constantly writing to disk despite the fact that you have 80% of System RAM unused.

I used to run 2GB of page file in Windows 7, it was never a problem nor was it hardly used.

Its just yet another Windows 8 aggravation.

Really? Been running 8 since the Preview builds. First rig had 4GB of RAM and a 64GB Samsung 830 SSD, set page file to 1GB and never had a problem. Current rig has 8GB of RAM and a 128GB 840 EVO drive, same page file size and also no problems.

As for it "wreck[ing] the drive" with constant writes - I'm pretty sure all but the earliest SSDs are a lot more robust than you're giving them credit for :)

Soldato

A system managed page file SHOULD be on a SSD if you have one and like snappy system performance, Windows knows its running on a SSD and optimises accordingly. IF you wrote 20gb of fresh data to a SSD a day it would last 10-15 years.

In other words fughedabowdit.

Last edited:
i know back in the day (XP) page file was ment to be 2.5 x the amount of ram

I remember that.

Now it seems that the optimum amount to set is half the amount of system RAM, at least that is what I do, and I have not run into any problems as yet. This is on Windows 7 machines

I don't think that it's a Windows 8 issue personally, but then I only currently use 8.1 on my secondary PC, and have not yet got around to playing with the page file. I did on my laptop though and I'm sure I never ran into any problems (Memory related).

Back
Top Bottom