Parenting question: Crying newborn

Associate
Just a thought... Do you swaddle the baby? Its a big change to go from a cramped up womb to having all this space and some babies like the confinement swaddling brings. It was the only way we could get any real sleep when our youngest was born.
Every baby is different and its just a case of what works for you and your family. After 10 days you are still trying to adjust and work each other out. Give it time, things will fall into place.

Soldato
Just a thought... Do you swaddle the baby? Its a big change to go from a cramped up womb to having all this space and some babies like the confinement swaddling brings. It was the only way we could get any real sleep when our youngest was born.
Every baby is different and its just a case of what works for you and your family. After 10 days you are still trying to adjust and work each other out. Give it time, things will fall into place.

+1 on trying to swaddle. It didn't work for us but as ETanny says every baby is different.

Associate
OP
Again thanks for the advice, it's all very helpful! I know there is no clear cut answer for any of this but just hearing others have been in the same position and some of the things you've tried is great, thanks again.

Don't get me wrong, nothing feels better than having him drift off in your arms, I'd happily do this forever! Just wanted to check we wouldn't be creating any bad habits.

We haven't tried swaddling but I think we'll give this a try.

@D.P. A lot of what you mention, we've experienced. Bouncing when sitting down just doesn't cut the mustard!

Caporegime
Again thanks for the advice, it's all very helpful! I know there is no clear cut answer for any of this but just hearing others have been in the same position and some of the things you've tried is great, thanks again.

Don't get me wrong, nothing feels better than having him drift off in your arms, I'd happily do this forever! Just wanted to check we wouldn't be creating any bad habits.

We haven't tried swaddling but I think we'll give this a try.

@D.P. A lot of what you mention, we've experienced. Bouncing when sitting down just doesn't cut the mustard!

It's crazy that they know when you are standing and when you are sitting. Watching a lot of TV while standing these days.:D

Associate
I'd echo the swaddling recommendation. Our little one just wouldn't slept unless he couldn't move.

Also when to big for swaddling look into a grobag. Again our little one loved sleeping in his

Soldato
You aren't forming any bad habits at such a young age.

He's so teeny, and just wants his mum and dad. Just give him the cuddles :) You'll miss them when they're older.

Permabanned
Get a Dog to look after the baby as animals seem to know what to do naturally unlike humans today who seem to need to watch a daytime TV show to get told how to do X,Y and Z.

Soldato
You can't spoil a newborn with love, but you can very much **** it up by doing the opposite. This is pretty basic stuff, to be frank.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
It's actually quite important for the Mum to pick up the Baby when it crys at such an early stage as it builds up confidence & a feeling of security the baby needs to develop. Facial recognition plays a big part of this & holding the baby close to the chest lets them hear that reassuring beat of the Mums heart.
If the Mother is quite happy with how things are at the mo then leave her to it, She has instincts that You or Me will never understand.

Pro Tip...
Never & I mean Never tell a Mum how to bring up her Child.

Suspended
As DP and others have mentioned, swaddling usually works and is easy to do. Just fold the two diagonal corners of blanket together and then place your baby with their feet at the narrow end and their head at at the large end, tuck in one corner over the one arm then the other. You can do this before picking them up to so when he settles he can be put right back into the Moses basket. You can also put an old clock near the top of the basket as the ticking simulates a heart beat.

Also important, get your partner to put a top she has recently worn into the basket near the top of the basket (or even better wrap the clock inside) as this will then allow your child to smell her as well. All this goes at the top of the basket and the baby must be pushed towards the bottom of the basket to stop him sliding under his blanket.

Remember to not let him sleep in the same position all the time. Get a cushion that holds him in place and rotate him from sleeping on the left then the back then the right side to prevent torticollis and developing a flat skull.

Good luck and enjoy Parenthood. Amazing things, kids

Soldato
A 10 day old baby should certainly not be left to cry it out. Research suggests doing so can have serious consequences when the child is older. Also comforting a crying baby by holding them will ultimately reassure them that if they need you, you will come.

Back
Top Bottom