Barcelona

Soldato
The hop on hop off busses are well worth it - regular, go along the main streets, you get commentary (via headphones) if you want it and they pass the majority of the main places you probably want to go / see - tourist sites as well as the shopping areas and even past the stadium

Thee are two (IIRC) routes covering different areas of the city and there is a few stops where the two intersect and you can swap over at the same stops

We were there two (I think) years ago and I'm sure the tickets were valid for 2 days or virtually the same price for two days as for one so well worth it if your there for a few days or more

Associate
Hop on hop off bus to take in the majority of the sights, some are worth going for a second look others less so.
Montserrat is a great day out and I would recommend it to anyone, the architecture is stunning and the cable car ride up is class.

If you feeling nerdy then the science museum is one of the best I have been to, but unless your into that sort of thing then it's probably not worth it.

Associate
l'eixample is great for food. Gracia area is nice, lots of hidden sunny squares. Port Olympic is a good place to stay. Avoid Las Ramblas unless you enjoy seediness. My brother lives there and I love the place

Associate
if you're worried about your stuff - bumbag.

...or if you're really worried about it, a charger (Papillon style!!) :eek:

charger
A small cylindrical object that can be filled with money or drugs and inserted into the anus to conceal their whereabouts from the police/prison guards etc. As described in the classic French book ''Papillon''.
''I tried to smuggle that chocolate out of jail but the guards found my charger''
by sammijolovesya May 22, 2006

Soldato
It's a lovely city. We went a few weeks ago for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. There's loads to see - as previously mentioned, the hop-on/hop-off tourist buses are handy for being able to see everything - we got a two-day pass and used them as general transport as well :D

Try and stay near La Rambla as then you're pretty much right where you need to be. The Gothic Quarter is lovely and there are some great places to eat in the little squares.

It's a nice place to just chill and wander around and it's very easy to get around - there's a bus that goes directly from the airport to the top of La Rambla.

Regarding the pickpocket warnings - I think these are as valid in any other major city as they are here. Just keep your wits about you and try not to look too obviously like a tourist and you'll be fine.

Associate
I'm in Barcelona at the moment.

Hola BCN ticket is good value. I think it is 27 Euros for 5 days, which gives you unlimited use of the metro, buses and trams for five days. If you by it online and pick it up at the station, you get 20% off too.

The weather has been very British over the last week or so. Rain and sunshine at the same time etc.

Associate
I've just got back from Barcelona on Wed. We didn't have any problems with thieves although we're fairly seasoned travelers so we're careful with stuff like this.

We ate and drank loads. You have to have your fill of tapas while you're out there :)

It's also worth checking out the Sagrada Familia (book this online via free city wifi or before you go, don't queue as it will take ages) and Gaudi's park. I would also recommend some of the markets, although they are nuts!

We stayed in the Gothic quarter as it's much cheaper than staying on Las Ramblas and a 10 minute walk at most.

As mentioned get the train/bus pass thing as this is great value.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went a year or two ago. I would strongly recommend Montjuc and also the church at Tibidabo. The views from the top of Tibidibo over the whole of Barcelona are very impressive. You need to get a train, then a tram, then the funicular to get there, but its well worth it.

Segreda Famillia is amazing too, just be vigilant for pickpockets in the queue.

Soldato
Visited Barcelona last April, very nice city, I would recommend to anyone. As the same with all cities pickpocketing can happen, but a bit of common sense and you'll be fine. I walked around with a rucksack at times (no valuables in there) and can say no-one had made an attempt on it.

Either way, there is a very nice beach to walk along. Head down La Ramblas towards the marina. Oh look out for a burger bar past the marina (can't remember the name) but if you enjoy burgers, they do some very nice ones.

Also make sure you visit some of the Gaudi buildings, we decided to do one of the bus tours that they advertise around the Plaça de Catalunya area. I think it was about £20-25 each, the tour is split into two, East side and West side of the city, each side has about 15-20 stops that you can get off and take a look around. I think some of the obvious stops I remember that most people seem to get off at: Olympic village, Camp Nou and a number of the Gaudi sites. To do both sides of the city assuming you do get off at a number of stops, pretty much takes up an entire day, so if you are interested in the tour, you need to start it relatively early.

Enjoy!

Caporegime
OP
Cheers guys. Sounds like the bus tours are a great starting point. Were there Wednesday to Wednesday but with the F1 race at the weekend, so it sounds like doing the tours Thursday and then planning what we want to go and see Monday and Tuesday is a good plan.

I've had a complete ball ache of a few months at work and just want to chill, so taking some slow paced wanders around and looking at cool stuff is exactly what I need. That and some F1 action, of course :p.

Back
Top Bottom