Dark Souls 2 - Thread

Soldato
If you go back to the Cardinal Tower bonfire and go back down the hole and head towards the giant fight again but instead of going down the lift keep going back to the outside(ish) area(where two spear hollows attack you) and turn right and there's a door you can open with the Soldier's Key.

There's also another boss in Heide's Tower of Flame if you go left where those three giants were in the big room.

Cheers charppppp

I also have no idea what my character should be right now either lol. I've got 28 str and then a few points elsewhere, no idea why. Wanted to try out the greatsword. Didn't like it. Got a +3 broadsword, pretty fun. Also the bandit axe has a fun moveset.

I just want a chunky sword to throw around. The broadsword is too weak as well, more often than not it breaks between bonfires and it's costing to keep having to repair it.

Associate
I can't believe was up until 4am on this, I haven't done that in a very long time! I just killed the first boss too ^^

LOL, I'm trying to put a limit on playing this for 2 hours a day ... but it's hard to do when it eats away at your willpower.

You'll go hollow - he he he

Last edited:
Associate
Your PC can't run it? Please don't think I'm being rude, as I genuinely mean no offense by this. But surely it can't be that bad? What are your specs? On low settings, it should be playable at 30fps as they got it working on the consoles which is how many years old now?

Can you not play at 720p?

I'm annoyed now, at the part where you have to lure those ambushing prats out just after the tower where you bump into Lucatile again.

Summoned a couple of people to do the boss after clearing those guys. Was going well. But then I got caught off hand and died :( Will try again later.

Thoughts so far are that it's much more structured than DS1. It's fairly narrow compared... You really only have 1 option most of the time and you're following that path. So it's simply go through area, kill boss, next. It's not as good as DS1 I fear :(

I didn't think about trying it at 720p, though on 1080p with everything on low the FPS is so low it kicks me off online mode :o

But it's an old laptop i7 (I think Sandybridge) with 6gb of RAM and a GT555m so I'm not too surprised, however I was looking to upgrade soon anyway, and no offense taken. :)

Edit: 720p Makes it smooth enough to be playable, now it's just getting the Dualshock 4 to work with it. Installed the driver and launched the server, XInputTest shows all the buttons to be working correctly, but trying to use it in Dark Souls II and nothing happens :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL, I'm trying to put a limit on playing this for 2 hours a day ... but it's hard to do when it eats away at your willpower.

You'll go hollow - he he he

I'm just going full throttle, no regrets :D

I keep seeing notes on the floor saying this is an illusionary wall, if that's correct I'm guessing I need to dispel the illusion somehow? How do I do that?, I've tried attacking them with my swords...
Also, do you getting anything for lighting all the torches in the first tutorial area?

edit:
It took me far far too long to realise that you could demolish the wall next to the the bonfire in the first tower (where you first meet the trader), I must have run that 20 odds times >_>

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't think about trying it at 720p, though on 1080p with everything on low the FPS is so low it kicks me off online mode :o

But it's an old laptop i7 (I think Sandybridge) with 6gb of RAM and a GT555m so I'm not too surprised, however I was looking to upgrade soon anyway, and no offense taken. :)

Edit: 720p Makes it smooth enough to be playable, now it's just getting the Dualshock 4 to work with it. Installed the driver and launched the server, XInputTest shows all the buttons to be working correctly, but trying to use it in Dark Souls II and nothing happens :confused:

Ah, good news that lowering the resolution gives you playability. As for the controller, jump into device manager, disable all but mouse and keyboard under Human Interface Device.

I have a Saitek Keyboard and it often installs extra parts that stops my 360 controller from not working. So if you have extra stuff due to laptop keyboard, that might fix it :)

edit:
It took me far far too long to realise that you could demolish the wall next to the the bonfire in the first tower (where you first meet the trader), I must have run that 20 odds times >_>

I got that wall blown up by the twit throwing firebombs first time I saw it but only because I caught it on a clip on one of EpicNameBro's vids. Tried to avoid them but that bit has helped lol.

Soldato
Some illusory walls have changed since the first game iirc. Some you have to attack as usual, but some you activate by pressing whichever button you have mapped for it.

I beat The Last Giant earlier, then left my summon sign outside. As I was summoned, the host was already in there, as I entered the boss room, he one-hit me straight away not giving me a chance:o

Soldato
I got that wall blown up by the twit throwing firebombs first time I saw it but only because I caught it on a clip on one of EpicNameBro's vids. Tried to avoid them but that bit has helped lol.

Exactly the same thing happened to me, totally discovered by accident on around 20-30th run :p

Some illusory walls have changed since the first game iirc. Some you have to attack as usual, but some you activate by pressing whichever button you have mapped for it.

Any idea what that is? I run past so many of these walls now thinking it needed a cleric or sorcerer to access it.. Ok according to google you just press A on the 360 pad, I'll try it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I'm a masochist, I play it with Kb+M :D

Also here is my pure, virgin character: before the pain.
1024x576.resizedimage

whats the icon in red border under ur stamina bar?

i had a shield with scorc and didnt know what they ment?

Last edited:
Soldato
whats the icon in red border under ur stamina bar?

That's the auto walk toggle. Z on the keyboard.

I think an octopus allocated the key-binds because they are all over the place, but that was the same in the previous game, I thought Paul was dead?

I have a post-it note on my monitor that says:

A = Enter
B = Bkspace
Y = N
X = E
< = T

But I must say after playing for more than a few hours the modifiers of the mouse clicks (shift click to interact, shift click to use item, etc) are growing on me.

Permabanned
Your PC can't run it? Please don't think I'm being rude, as I genuinely mean no offense by this. But surely it can't be that bad? What are your specs? On low settings, it should be playable at 30fps as they got it working on the consoles which is how many years old now?

Can you not play at 720p?

I'm annoyed now, at the part where you have to lure those ambushing prats out just after the tower where you bump into Lucatile again.

Summoned a couple of people to do the boss after clearing those guys. Was going well. But then I got caught off hand and died :( Will try again later.

Thoughts so far are that it's much more structured than DS1. It's fairly narrow compared... You really only have 1 option most of the time and you're following that path. So it's simply go through area, kill boss, next. It's not as good as DS1 I fear :(

I think each place has 5 bonfires to light, so you will be going backwards and forwards a lot. You get to a certain point when you have unlocked a few areas then you need to go back and unlock the rest of the bonfires with lots more passages to take.

Associate
whats the dlc? is it the early weapons from the black armour thing? IMO if thats the case, go in without that. i never redeemed the code for mine on ps3 as i felt it would ruin the Souls experiance having op weapons at the start, but it may just be me!

They are pretty crap, nothing gamebreaking there. They just look better than a plain old sword. None of them are better than the Heide Knight Sword or Flame Sword as an early game weapon. Although the staff is a nice weapon for sorcerers, but even then you still have to lvl some stats to use it, so none of them are OP.

Last edited:
Associate
They are pretty crap, nothing gamebreaking there. They just look better than a plain old sword. None of them are better than the Heide Knight Sword or Flame Sword as an early game weapon. Although the staff is a nice weapon for sorcerers, but even then you still have to lvl some stats to use it, so none of them are OP.

Wouldn't this approach be better? As opposed to having pre-order weapons which are strong and overpowered at low levels meaning that PVP would be at an unfair advantage to those with the DLC.

Soldato
has anyone come across anything as awesome as the Drake sword and the way you can acquire said sword like in DS1? lol.

8 hours in, just fought my 1st boss, the last Giant in the bottom of the Cardinal Tower, now seeing what goodies I can find with the new acquired Soldier Key.

I'm loving this game as much as the first, even though it is nowhere near as tough.

Soldato
has anyone come across anything as awesome as the Drake sword and the way you can acquire said sword like in DS1? lol.

There isn't anything really comparable, however the Heide Knight Sword is close, there is also a Fire Longsword very early on, however without upgrades neither will last you long.

The Drangleic Sword is very strong but requires some hefty stat investment.

I'm loving this game as much as the first, even though it is nowhere near as tough.

Was never going to be for someone who has played any of the Souls games before. Being as objective as I can I would consider DS2 harder than DS1, however I also consider that difficultly largely artificial, just more mobs of and loads of annoying bosses.

Soldato
this is a good point you make and one I share the same thought. It's not the individual enemy that makes this tough so far, it's the mobs, and they are quite powerful mobs.

I've already got the fire sword and the Heide Knight sword, they both seemed unmissable. I've not upgraded any weapon or armour yet, just don't see the point with the early game loot.

Associate
Ah, good news that lowering the resolution gives you playability. As for the controller, jump into device manager, disable all but mouse and keyboard under Human Interface Device.

I have a Saitek Keyboard and it often installs extra parts that stops my 360 controller from not working. So if you have extra stuff due to laptop keyboard, that might fix it :)

Tried disabling them all, still nothing. Though thank you anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom