It's Official: PC gaming bigger than console gaming in terms of revenue

Soldato
Some great news for us pc gamers. It seems so crazy that only a couple of years ago there were still people claiming that pc gaming was dying. PC gaming finally surpassed consoles in the only area that it was lacking: revenue.

DFC said:
In an interview with UK PC and tech website PCR, DFC Intelligence owner David Cole said that the big difference now is that consoles are a luxury item, while PCs, which can also play games, are a necessity. “Just a few years ago the reverse was true,” he said. “This means PCs have the broader audience."

DFC said:
“On a global basis PC games have surpassed console games,” DFC Intelligence owner David Cole informed PCR.

Personally I've never been more excited to be a pc gamer so many interesting projects coming up and pc gaming not affected by the rise of mobile gaming. consoles in trouble?

Hopefully we'll see a revival of some neglected pc genres

Sauce:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/pc...than-console-games-analyst-says/1100-6419241/
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/04/pc-gaming-revenue-has-now-overtaken-console-gaming/
http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/pc-games-have-surpassed-console-games-globally/033849

EDIT: Before someone brings this up browser games (facebook etc.) only accounted for a mere 10%.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Any chance of the actual source? I just don't believe it to be honest.

How can you not believe it everything on the internet related to gaming is dominated by pc gaming streaming, twitch tv, youtube, tournaments, forums and steam has more concurrent users than all consoles combined.

Soldato
Originally Posted by DFC
In an interview with UK PC and tech website PCR, DFC Intelligence owner David Cole said that the big difference now is that consoles are a luxury item, while PCs, which can also play games, are a necessity. “Just a few years ago the reverse was true,” he said. “This means PCs have the broader audience."

While a PC seems like a necessity, I still find most people here at work only use a PC for work-related tasks, be it laptop they take home or desktop here in the office.
Anything they'd use a PC for at home is done on their phones, while games are done on a console. Even my Mrs refuses to use my PC!

I do like to get all PC Master Race on the office folks and 'console' them over the fact that their graphics tend to suck compared to mine, but mostly just in jest!

Caporegime

No. Having a broader audience does not mean it brings in more money per title. So in terms of revenue has anything really changed outside of the change to next-gen consoles? Publishers will still primarily target console releases as they make more revenue in sales per release there. This says nothing to counter that. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
No. Having a broader audience does not mean it brings in more money per title. So in terms of revenue has anything really changed outside of the change to next-gen consoles? Publishers will still primarily target console releases as they make more revenue in sales per release there. This says nothing to counter that. :rolleyes:

not much will change console gamers will keep getting milked with Call of duty type games and their annual calculated revisions until even more casual platforms take over (tablets etc.) while pc gamers will keep enjoying superior AAA multiplats and innovative exclusives. There will just be a bigger number of quality pc games.

Last edited:
Soldato
not much will change console gamers will keep getting milked with Call of duty type games and their annual calculated revisions until even more casual platforms take over (tablets etc.) while pc gamers will keep enjoying superior AAA multiplats and innovative exclusives. There will just be a bigger number of quality pc games.

What a load of rubbish. As if Call of Duty et al aren't hugely popular on the PC too.

Caporegime
Soldato
total bs. consoles dwarf pc sales. pc sales have been down last few months.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-us-retail-sales-up-9-percent-in-february-npd

http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/17/m...-4-outsells-xbox-one-again-despite-titanfall/

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...box-one-licks-its-wounds-and-plans-a-comeback

basically we on a whole are down on gaming from last year. games have been bad and people have held off a little buying.

I don't think those sources say what you think they say.

Soldato
when you take into account the online powerhouses like world of warcraft, world of tanks, planet side 2 and the other massive f2p and subscription games i do not find it hard to believe at all that pc gaming revenues have caught up to consoles.

i myself have spent over £1000 on world of tanks, £300 or so on mechwarrior online and about £100 each on war thunder and planet side 2.

that's enough to buy a whole library of console games and i know people who have spent much more than me on these games.

and that is not taking into account a single penny of the cost of my hardware.

Last edited:
Soldato
PC gaming has been massive for years now but you cannot see any single source for this as no-one likes to quote numbers incase it promotes more piracy but consider these public facts:

1: Steam has over 75m user accounts.

2: Steam had over 7m concurrent active users.

3: Dark Souls 2 has sold over $4.5m worth of games in the few days its been on sale (75,000 concurrent users on Steam x $60 its probably higher this is a lower average excluding the retail UK copies yet to register on Steam this coming Friday). $4.5m for a console port in a few days is good business From Software do not have to pay a huge licensing fee to MS/Sony so the profit margin is higher overall per unit sold even taking into account what Valve charge on Steam.

4: Nvidia & AMD have been selling a lot of gaming capable GPU's (they would not be if PC gaming was not vibrant).

This excludes Battlefield 4 on PC, Diablo 3 ongoing sales, WOW then throw in the Steam & other digital store sales etc etc PC is the no1 destination for most developers nowadays due to how easy they can make their game available to a massive global audience without the strict rules console platform holders enforce :rolleyes:

Its not hard to see PC Gaming is very healthy & not only that at least 2 generations ahead of the current consoles. Many console gamers noticed this & gradually there is an exodus to PC from console as overall costs are much lower for games thanks to digital sales pioneered by Valve.

Soldato
I dont get this PC vs Console argument? :confused:

A console is a video games machine.

A PC is a computer.

Since when was a commodore 64 the same as a Sega megadrive? :rolleyes:

Soldato
I dont get this PC vs Console argument? :confused:

A console is a video games machine.

A PC is a computer.

Since when was a commodore 64 the same as a Sega megadrive? :rolleyes:

since you could stick cartridges in it that played games on it, you kind of picked the worst example possible there lol :p they even had a cartridge only version of the c64.

and if you listen to microsoft and sony now consoles are much more than video games machines.

they want you to watch all your media on them, surf the web on them and use your social media stuff on them so they are trying to emulate computers more and more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom