Mr Clutch

Associate
Hi,

My 1999 Vauxhall Tigra needs a new pressure plate, so to replace the plate I am looking at a new clutch replacement any way.

I have been getting some quotes for the clutch replacement and I was wondering why Mr Clutch can quote £208 all in for a 3 part clutch, and the other garages range from £390 to £500 ! ?

What is it that Mr Clutch do to be able to quote so low ! ?

What corners do they cut, are the mechanics qualified ! ?

I got a similar quote amount just like yours for my mk4 DTI 2003 but be careful I have heard they use some cheap parts and iv been informed that if fitted incorrectly it can leak air into the master cylinder, also gear oil is usually changed with each clutch change. I paid £375 from my garage iv used for years and its peace of mind if something does go wrong I can go back to them.

but with a company like that im not too sure, its funny how a couple of cars iv been quoted from them they are roughly the same price of £270 lol.

Associate
They said the gearbox on mine has to come out to do mine. I laughed and walked away.

They scare me.

You do realise gearbox removal is a pretty standard part of replacing a clutch? I'm sure they exist, but I can't think of any car where you wouldn't remove the gearbox...

but with a company like that im not too sure, its funny how a couple of cars iv been quoted from them they are roughly the same price of £270 lol.

I'm fairly certain their prices are just banded. So they have 1 price to cover a whole range of vehicles.

Soldato
It's a good idea, how did they manage it? Still uncommon though!

A small inspection hatch on the bottom of the bellhousing lets you undo all the clutch retaining bolts, and you can unbolt the end cover on the gearbox and pull out the first motion shaft to release the friction plate. It was a great bit of design that made clutch changes very easy, so obviously Vauxhall quickly dropped that idea.

The classic Saab 900 that nutcase owns uses a similar idea, though it's not a conventional transverse engine and box.

Last edited:
Associate
A small inspection hatch on the bottom of the bellhousing lets you undo all the clutch retaining bolts, and you can unbolt the end cover on the gearbox and pull out the first motion shaft to release the friction plate. It was a great bit of design that made clutch changes very easy, so obviously Vauxhall quickly dropped that idea.

The classic Saab 900 that nutcase owns uses a similar idea, though it's not a conventional transverse engine and box.

Man that sounds so simple. Ah well, everyone loves tearing an engine bay apart to get the gearbox out.

Soldato

Close, it's a 99 ;) But yes probably should have pointed out that the only but that needs removing apart from a few ancilleries is a plastic cover.

DSC00006_004.sized.jpg

I know Novas had the plate underneath that made things nice and easy.

Associate
OP
Large franchised chains will accumulate more complaints as the volume of through put customers.
Also the margins are much smaller as it is the stack them high sell them low approach.
Hence well the franchise employs fitters as they are cheaper than mechanics.

So in retrospect I think I will give Mr Clutch a miss.!

Soldato
You are not guaranteed an experienced and knowledgable mechanic at an independent place either. They could give the task to someone with less experience than the "fitter" at mr clutch. Especially for the standard tasks.

Associate
You are not guaranteed an experienced and knowledgable mechanic at an independent place either. They could give the task to someone with less experience than the "fitter" at mr clutch. Especially for the standard tasks.

Indeed, every garage has fitters and mechanics. The fitters are there to do the routine grunt work so that the mechanics can deal with diagnosis and more complex jobs.

Associate
I think at this point who ever you get the job done from make sure you go through the proper procedures as well as ask questions such as what quality of the part as well what is being fitted. I would also suggest to make sure from an independent garage or maybe a dealer to have it inspected to make sure it is the clutch and nothing else as if it does go wrong you have something against them.

also be careful to the fact I have heard from a couple of people they have tried to pull a quickie by telling them something different before the job and whilst it is being done they phone up and try to put the customer in akward position as the car is effectively opened up .

Associate
I would ask what brand of clutch they were going to fit and to whether it is reconditioned or new.

I would say you would be better off going to a reputable independent and requesting a branded clutch to be fitted.

Back
Top Bottom