OMG - I have to write 3 x papers!!!

Soldato
OP
"Digital forensics", is this as cool as it sounds?

Have a look at this paper:

http://www.cyberace.org/Publications/craiger.forensics.methods.procedures.DRAFT.pdf

It's almost exactly what this module has covered.

The fundamentals part is actions on a scene of crime, recovery, chain of custody, the analysis and then as an expert witness in court. Mock scene, labs then a mock trial.

Using stuff like write block, encase etc.

They say an expert witness can get between £6k - £9k per day in court and then the pay for doing the actual work. I come into contact with wualified Digital Investigators in my current role and it isn't that well paid!

Soldato
OP
Hey all,

Could do with some advice and direction again - now remember i have not written at a higher level before, so from my feedback from the tutor, could you tell me what they are looking for:

1. I have to compare Wireshark to 2 other similar tools, which i have done, but the tutor has said:

consider justifying some comparison criteria at the beginning and then using a table for the actual comparison.

Any advice?

Soldato
Hey all,

Could do with some advice and direction again - now remember i have not written at a higher level before, so from my feedback from the tutor, could you tell me what they are looking for:

1. I have to compare Wireshark to 2 other similar tools, which i have done, but the tutor has said:

Any advice?

That sounds's quite simple. All he wants for you to do is create some criteria for comparing the two, for example, how many letters in each name or the size of each file (obvious bad examples) and then discuss why they're appropriate and create a nice little table showing what they all have in relation to your criteria. Like the sort of tables Microsoft use to show you what each of their Windows' versions can do in comparison to the other. Although this would most likely just be a simple cell table.

Soldato
OP
get out of GD then

er, what?

That sounds's quite simple. All he wants for you to do is create some criteria for comparing the two, for example, how many letters in each name or the size of each file (obvious bad examples) and then discuss why they're appropriate and create a nice little table showing what they all have in relation to your criteria. Like the sort of tables Microsoft use to show you what each of their Windows' versions can do in comparison to the other. Although this would most likely just be a simple cell table.

Nice one! I googled comparative essay papers and that's what kept jumping out - introduction, criteria, the actual table and then the concusion - so done!

Now stuck on this part, i have to look at a wireshark output file and:

a. comment on the structure of the internal network

b. comment on the external sources accessing the internal network

c. comment on the resources that are being accessed.

Never used Wireshark before!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
just suggesting that perhaps spending time without distractions would be a better use of your time than asking for advice in GD. Given that you know it's GD and all that.

Soldato
OP
Another 2 modules down and the results are in; very happy!

Thanks for your help and advice everyone, but be warned the next 2 modules have already started and i will be back here again with my requests for help and my tales of woe!!

Soldato
Gad you're doing well squire but when you have 10 days to write up a business plan for a 1.4mill contract including all legal frameworks it's a bit more tense than writing a university paper. Just wait until you hit the real world of work lol :D

Soldato
OP
I'm a distance learner and have a fulltime job. I'm currently sat in Turkey and have to provide security advice for assets that are worth in excess of £420m.

I'm not complaining about the workload (honest!), it's just the academic writing side is new to me and I came here for advice as to whether others considered the work a lot or not - I guess not!!

Soldato
OP
Another 2 modules down and the results are in; very happy! (again)

I didn't post much this time even though i could have done with some advice and guidance, it just seems some, not all, use this type of post as an opportunity to snipe as oppose to offer constructive comments.

Mid-way through another 2 modules............!!!

Back
Top Bottom