Decent Payment Gateways

Associate
Does anyone have any recommendations for decent payment gateways? I did a search and there have been threads on it in the past, but they always seem to be about who is the cheapest and easiest to set up and these are far down my list of requirements. I want something reliable and secure, with a comprehensive API for debiting, refunding and reporting and customisable, hosted payment pages and decent support.

The company I work for has been using PayPoint for years, but we're really losing patience with them these days. The trouble is, I'm not sure if anyone out there is any better judging by reviews I see online. PayPoint are at least fairly reliable. They do have occasional downtime, but when they go down, they seem to get it fixed within an hour or so, whereas from what I've read, Sagepay goes down for days on end, and that's not acceptable. Are there actually any decent payment gateways out there?

Associate
Paypal is the main one we deal with frequently. They are not bad, certainly dont get downtime, as downtime equals losing out on possible sales.

There is also sage pay, google checkout, stripe.. The list goes on. I think it depends on the size of company. I know paypals api is quite good from what ive seen. Hope this helps.

Associate
OP
Thanks, we do use PayPal as an extra option for people that want to pay by PayPal, but it's not a replacement for a merchant account. They have PayPal Pro which they try to claim is a complete replacement to a conventional payment gateway, but it has many limitations imposed by PayPal and many important features missing, like 3D Secure for example. I agree though that you can't fault the reliability. I've never known PayPal to go down.

Google Checkout doesn't exist anymore. They closed it about 6 months ago. I've never heard of Stripe though so I'll do some research on them.

Soldato
I use Card Save (Streamline group) reliable enough (never known any downtime in 2 years), but I do not see enough sales through the websites to really keep it going so for that reason it is going to be shut off.

Associate
Well given your requirements (and I agree Paypal is ridiculous) you could use Worldpay

You can customise to your hearts content and there is plenty of documentation (though I found it a thankless slog)

You can also host payment your own own site providing you pass a PCI scan

Associate
OP
Well given your requirements (and I agree Paypal is ridiculous) you could use Worldpay

You can customise to your hearts content and there is plenty of documentation (though I found it a thankless slog)

You can also host payment your own own site providing you pass a PCI scan
We were actually talking to World Pay not that long ago. They cold called, we said we're interested, they called back about 3 times over the course of about a month, we kept saying we were interested, we asked a few basic questions, to which the person said he'd have to consult the technical department and get back to us, and we never heard from them again. I realise I could chase them up but one reason for looking to switch from PayPoint is the lack of customer service, so that put me off.

We don't want to go down the PCI DSS route. We were Level 1 accredited years ago but to maintain that was costing silly money, so we'd rather someone else host the pages.

Paypal, WorldPay, iZettle, Judo payments … this list goes on.. and on..
Yes, the list of payment gateways and solutions goes on, but when you google most of them, you find terrible reviews, which is why I posted this thread.

I use Braintree good rates and solid platform.
I remember when Google closed down Google Checkout, they recommended people that only had Google Checkout get a solution from Braintree, so a recommendation from Google can't be a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom