Logitech G502 Proteus Core tunable 12,000 dpi gaming mouse

Associate
I just got mine, too. Pretty much what majnu said.

I suppose I like the option of a free scrolling wheel, but I can't see I'll ever use it. Web browsers seem to only scroll x number of lines at a time anyway, so you don't need the resolution of a free scrolling wheel there. I used it free scrolling in Rift, to zoom in and out, but the fact that the wheel is so easy to scroll means it's not easy to stop it scrolling and move your finger away without catching it and making it scroll a bit in one direction or another.

I don't find it top heavy and don't need a bungee or anything. With my previous mouse (MX510) I had to position the cable 'just so' in order to not have it alter the feel. With the G502's braided cord, I played some games, had the cord just lying pretty much straight back on the desk, and didn't notice it at all.

Maybe you can't remap the scroll wheel using Logitech's software, but I'd probably use X-Mouse Button Control for that.

Thumb buttons 4 and 5 are in a better position than the MX510, making them easier to press.

I find it too easy to press the 'scroll left' mouse button when trying to press middle mouse, but maybe that's just the way my finger is.

It works surprisingly well in Linux, despite the Logitech software not supporting it there. Because of that, if you want to reconfigure it, it'll have to be done in Microsoft's Windows (or a Mac — I didn't check). It can remember the settings on board, so they'll work wherever. For example, I had a game of Xonotic in Linux and was able to use the settings I had configured in Windows to change DPI in-game. However, I couldn't get it to send extra button event signals for the extra three (four if you count the 'change profile' button) button, so those three DPI buttons will have to remain DPI buttons in Linux. In fact, those buttons don't even send any recognisable signals to the OS.

It's only been six hours use but so far I'm happy with it.

Edit: Oh, and it requires a powered USB port, otherwise it won't work. That is, if you're using an unpowered KVM, as I was, it won't work.

Last edited:
Associate
Had mine delivered today, again pretty much what majnu has previously said.

I totally agree with regards to the mouse wheel, it's very "notchy" when it's locked, or at least it appears to be having just switched from the MX518. When not locked, it moves smoothly & freely idea for browsing or non-gaming use.

Agree with Blitzkrieg regarding the weights, feels just right to me without them. I did try it with just two weights in and it felt scratchy moving over my Boogie Mat.

The only button I have a problem pressing easily is the DPI Down one, all the others are very accessible without having to take my palm off the mouse.

Only had it a few hours, so it's still early days, but so far like it a lot.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I've been using mine now for the past hour. It definitely feels strange, but it's just a matter of getting used to it. The only issue I have with it at the moment, is that bloody button on the left hand side where your thumb sits lol. I feel like I am barely resting my thumb on it yet I keep pressing the bloody thing. Hopefully I will get used to it, else this will drive me nuts. :D

Associate
For a small-handed person this is awesome. I got mine today, and I can use any grip-style on it and still reach most of the buttons.

I do especially like the weight, as I prefer heavy mice.

Man of Honour
Corded only? Whilst I live Logitech mice their lgs software is ****

Why? Was the last time you used it 2 years ago or so? It's changed several timesover the years and currently is very fluid, eays to use and small in size:

G602_software.jpg

Permabanned
Why? Was the last time you used it 2 years ago or so? It's changed several timesover the years and currently is very fluid, eays to use and small in size:

late reply but I've used the software from Setpoint to the current LGS iterations.

It just has a habit of switching to onboard profile, sometimes it doesn't load my profiles and restarting several times sorts it out and it sometimes behaves erratically when I leave my xbox controller plugged in with BF games.

Associate
would someone be able to measure the mouse to give us some idea how big it is ive found a few time in the past that logitech mice are made for small hands

Associate
Took a couple of quick pics of the g502 with my g9x for scale
2014-06-08085906_zps54010710.jpg
2014-06-08085847_zpsa230d56f.jpg

To me it feels like it does everything the g9x does, but more refined and with more buttons. The shape took a little while to get used to and its a bit heavier, but I got used to it pretty quickly (for reference I have small hands and use a fingertip grip).

Associate
Just ordered this direct from logitech the mini reviews (thanks guys) convinced me to give it a try. At 69 quid it's the most expensive mouse I've ever owned. Now to look for a keyboard to go with it. That fills me with confused dread!

Back
Top Bottom