Celebrating losing 11 stone

Associate
And here's me eating clean and busting my ass five days a week training for over a year now. I've lost a grand total of 2 stone out of the 6 I want to shed. :(

Legs like steel, but seemingly no fat going anywhere. Sometimes wonder why I bother.

I'd agree with what Tom has said. Look at the amount you're eating and the type of calories you're eating. Use a tool like that of myfitnesspal. Be totally honest with what you're eating and how much you're exercising and input what you wish to achieve and it'll let you know how much you need to consume to get to your goal. My g/f did this for a month. I should try and get the before and after printout from the inbody scales I have access too. I was extremely impressed at the change. She isn't overweight, just wanted to lose a little body fat and a few kg. Using myfitnessplan to monitor food intake along with doing air squats and walking up and down stairs for several minutes a day and the change was impressive.

Trying not to lose the motivation is difficult at a time like this, you just need to find what you need to change to keep the weight coming off. Don't give up, you can do it :)

Soldato
Then you need to reassess your diet and training.

Yeah, I've had a few bad blowouts during that time. Booze is my ultimate enemy. The majority of the time I have daily calories locked in at around 1700 but when it comes to drinking, it's wind me up and let me go. At the moment I'm making myself a recluse so I don't risk walking into a bar to kill time.

Five days (now six) a week it's a mixture of weight lifting and running myself ragged with interval training on alternate days.

I've definitely seen the benefit of it in terms of body composition (midriff and shoulders especially) and muscle mass (legs, as mentioned), but my actual weight is shifting very little, and I'm still carrying a lot of fat.

Severe knee pain and shinsplints makes the working out that much harder for me but I'm determined and push through it. Because of that, getting to the end of each day does feel rewarding and liberating in the knowledge that I didn't crumble at such a severe pain barrier and just jack it in. Still, it's disheartening at times. Not gonna stop, though. I've pushed myself beyond anything I previously would have expected just getting those initial 2 stone down.

Inspiration like the OP means a lot, and just fuels that. :)

Commissario
And here's me eating clean and busting my ass five days a week training for over a year now. I've lost a grand total of 2 stone out of the 6 I want to shed. :(

Legs like steel, but seemingly no fat going anywhere. Sometimes wonder why I bother.
Chances are that you're a secret eater.

anna.jpg

Log everything you eat in MyFitnessPal (and I mean EVERYTHING). If it goes in your mouth, it goes in the app.

Soldato

Do you find yourself walking through the high street and looking at people who are overweight and thinking to yourself "I lost weight, why don't you"? I know it's bad to judge but I've noticed that I'm doing that myself these days. I'm sure that as an ex-porker, I'm worse than an ex-smoker :)

I've lost 11st myself and sadly(or not) I also find myself looking at overweight people and thinking "why don't you do someone about it?" Doesn't help that they are usually stuffing their face with a sausage roll or something..

Man of Honour
Yeah, I've had a few bad blowouts during that time. Booze is my ultimate enemy. The majority of the time I have daily calories locked in at around 1700 but when it comes to drinking, it's wind me up and let me go. At the moment I'm making myself a recluse so I don't risk walking into a bar to kill time.

Five days (now six) a week it's a mixture of weight lifting and running myself ragged with interval training on alternate days.

I've definitely seen the benefit of it in terms of body composition (midriff and shoulders especially) and muscle mass (legs, as mentioned), but my actual weight is shifting very little, and I'm still carrying a lot of fat.

Severe knee pain and shinsplints makes the working out that much harder for me but I'm determined and push through it. Because of that, getting to the end of each day does feel rewarding and liberating in the knowledge that I didn't crumble at such a severe pain barrier and just jack it in. Still, it's disheartening at times. Not gonna stop, though. I've pushed myself beyond anything I previously would have expected just getting those initial 2 stone down.

Drop into the gym ratz thread in sports arena if you want some advice or just a general kick up the backside :)

Commissario
The people on the program cause me severe rage at just how blind someone can be to the amount of crap they stuff down their throats and then claim they don't understand why they're massively overweight.
The show last night was what made me think about it. I also fancied tucking into that kebab/chip thing ;)

Soldato
Chances are that you're a secret eater.

anna.jpg

Log everything you eat in MyFitnessPal (and I mean EVERYTHING). If it goes in your mouth, it goes in the app.

Absolutely not! I live with a Slimming World consultant and have to live by "the rules" as I do all the cooking for both of us, hahaha.

I'm a Secret Drinker. :D

That show also drives me potty. "Oh, I only eat 1300 calories a day", while stuffing well past 3000 in there in meals drenched in all kinds of excess. Delusional is hardly even the word. Especially considering the total lack of exercise any of them do.

My previous post was a desperate little "woe is me" and I'm happy to admit it. I know my problem is alcohol. At my biggest, I had three issues: Alcohol, food and lack of exercise.

Now the food and exercise is sorted, but alcohol is still very much prevalent.

Since I started all this, though, I haven't had a single gout attack, which I'm pleased as punch about. :)

Can't help occasionally just feel a bit forlorn that it really does take so much sacrifice and physical pain, only a daily basis, to get anywhere -- and even then, it's slowly. Maybe it just feels like more of a struggle than it really is because of my attitude to the booze, which is very much self-medication based. Hard to feel happy without it, much of the time.

Soldato
That show also drives me potty. "Oh, I only eat 1300 calories a day", while stuffing well past 3000 in there in meals drenched in all kinds of excess. Delusional is hardly even the word. Especially considering the total lack of exercise any of them do.

"I now have an hourglass figure"..... hold on, you weigh more than your boyfriend and have lost 6lbs or something...hourglass you are not.

Caporegime
This is terrific stuff to read - congrats.

Is there a way to lose weight without ending up with the excess skin? I need to shed about 6 stone to be reach my true BMI but I think I'd probably be just as depressed if I had excess skin at the end of it all and eat myself back to fat again. :(

Associate
Well done mate! I am doing the same at the moment. Was 25 stone now, 20 and still got another 10 to go my self! Slowly, surely and healthy wise.

Associate
OP
This is terrific stuff to read - congrats.

Is there a way to lose weight without ending up with the excess skin? I need to shed about 6 stone to be reach my true BMI but I think I'd probably be just as depressed if I had excess skin at the end of it all and eat myself back to fat again. :(

Thanks a lot :)

Keep in mind that BMI really is a guide and a person with a 'normal' BMI can actually be super super unhealthy.

I'd much rather have excess skin than be as big as I was. There are far more pros than cons for weight loss. The amount of excess skin after losing weight is different for each person. Different things are meant to effect it such as existing visible stretch marks, duration of being big and how 'spread out' the fat is over your body.

Associate

If it's really that painful throw in some swimming for your Cardio (And actually put some effort in, don't just float along like most seem to). Resistance training thrown in free of charge. I've been going myself for 2 months or so now and it's far, far easier on the body than running is. The only thing you really need to specifically look out for is technique with front crawl so you don't get swimmers shoulder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom