Child Of Light

Associate
Done a quick search there but didn't see any threads on this. Seriously thinking about picking it up, looks good and getting some great reviews. Anyone got this yet and first impressions?

Soldato
i've got it. bought it off the store last night. played about an hour and a half with the mrs. both loving it. the graphics/art style are incredible, well done to the art team for this one. the battles are a bit odd..they dont feel too hard, yet they dont feel too easy. and you only have two people in battle at a time. i find the text/conversation between the characters a little odd at times, its probably because a lot of it has been made to rhyme. other than that i suggest getting it if you liked games with a turn based combat system in it like FF7/8 etc.

edit: don't expect too much depth with the skill system and skill points though. its all very basic. from what ive seen so far. also, there are no equippable weapons or items. but you can equip gemstones/oculi to your weapon or armour, to give it special stats like lightning/fire. and you can also mix oculi to make new ones

also, battles aren't random, and can quite a lot of the time be avoided if you want to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Played about 2 hours or so last night on this. Really enjoyed it.
Aesthetically, it's obviously exceptional but the actual gameplay is good too to go along with that.
The mechanics/battles/skills/equip systems are basic, but good enough.

Skills wise you kind of get 3 different paths on each character. (There are about 8 characters looking at trophy list). You can do a little of each 3 skill trees too if you wish. But each tends to focus on something different - like attack / defense/ magic/ healing etc.

You find gems like in Diablo series that offer stat boosts depending on what you infuse them into and you can craft higher level gems by combing 3 of the same.

Going off the 2 hours I've done, and looking at the in-game map and how many collectables I've found - the game should be a fairly good length. I'd suspect maybe 10-12 hours minimum to do it all without a guide, maybe more if later levels are longer than the first 3.

Haven't tried co-op or multiplayer yet but I like the added dynamic of controlling the blue thing to collect HP/MO orbs etc in and our of battle.

I also prefer that they didn't use random encounters as there is a lot of hidden chests and the like so finding them is much more fun when you can avoid encounters.
(holding L2 over enemies stuns them out of battle to allow you to pass)

Overall, well worth the £12 so far IMO for classic RPG fans especially

Associate
Will definitely try this game however, I'm not a fan of turn based games. The last turn based game I enjoyed was LOTR Tactics. Still want to give this a go though.

Soldato
really enjoying this but im limiting my play time as my daughters both love watching me play due to the art style and the writing, as i read out the text for them.

im really enjoying it and the battle system is simple but also adds more strategy then the normal turn based system, adding a couple of collectable health plants in each fight is a nice touch to add to the system.

so far very happy with it for £12

Back
Top Bottom