Wierd thing I noticed

Don
Change pollen filter
Check door seals
Check all water drainage points are clear
Get a large pack of silica gel and keep it in your car, will help dry it out

Permabanned
OP
OK the car's AC works perfectly and does not need re-gassing.

Have not checked pollen filter yet. All the floor in entirety is dry except for the boot - half a bottle of demon shine wheel cleaner leaked into the boot. Could it be that? Would probably explain the smell too?

Soldato
If your windscreen suddenly fogs up that rapidly, and it's not clearing quickly, my diagnosis would be that you have the climate set to recirculate.

Either because you've got that button pressed, or because the flaps that it controls are seized.

If you look at your manual, you'll see that it specifically says not to use recirculate in certain circumstances because it can have this effect.

Permabanned
OP
Well recirc is not switched on and I find it highly likely that a 6 year old car with just 30k miles would have siezed flaps?

Soldato
I'm pretty sure I've seen something this, but unfortunately I can't remember what car I was in. It was something decent and modern though.
When I walked up to it the windows were clear. I got in and started it and then got instant fog. About 20seconds later the Climate Control had cleared it all off. It was weird the way that the fog just came out of nowhere, when from the outside I could see the car was clear. But as the aircon cleared it quickly and it never happened again I just ignored it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had new cars with poor quality components (i.e. Lotus) and the windscreen was so thin that the pathetic heaters/air-con couldn't touch the condensation for a good 5-10mins.

That wasn't helped by the cabin having leaks either. This was in the middle of winter however; only issues during wet times were in standing traffic, the aircon unit was centrally beneath the windscreen so you either had an arch of condensation over the full windscreen, or a semi-circle in the middle.

Many vehicles seem to have this same issue too.

Soldato
You got into the car with damp clothing which then dried out leaving a car full of water vapour. This condensed on the windscreen.

A/C would have reduced the impact.

Yes I have noticed this for almost as long as I have been driving :)

Permabanned
OP
I was in a house for the hour I left the car there, it was not raining when I came out of the house, so my clothes or myself were not damp.

Associate
As has been suggested, check your pollen filter. Also have a look at your scuttle panel drains (normally either side of the windscreen) if these get blocked then it can cause misting. My moms 9-3 was really bad for doing this and took me a while to find the cause.
The rear n/s passenger footwell carpet was totally soddon. Turns out the pollen filter housing seal had perished. Replaced it and no misting since.

mick

Associate
I have had this on my current car and last 2 as well (all VAG cars)
I find if i leave climate control on when i switch off the car, then moisture seems to creep into the cabin, however if i turn off the climate control before i turn the car off, it seems to stop it from happening?

Back
Top Bottom