A disk read error occurred... :(

Associate
Hi

Today I've been getting an intermittent error when booting up my PC:

"A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart".

Any idea what causes this? First time it went away on the first Ctrl+Alt+Del but the next time it took 10 restarts to get it to boot....
I did a BIOS update about 1 month ago so I presume I'm on the latest version...should I be worried about my SSD?

I've ran system file checker no errors.

Thanks

Associate
Your problem could be something as simple as a loose Sata cable on the Motherboard or at the back of your drive.
After checking that I would recommend doing a scandisk on your boot drive, but I stress only if you have eliminated a faulty lead, because I have seen so many people go down software elimination paths only to find out that it is something they caould have changed in a couple of minutes.

Associate
OP
First thing I would do is see if the AHCI has been reversed. Maybe by that update.

SATA mode was set to IDE. I've changed it to AHCI which has now launched windows startup repair (currently running...). Was this the correct move? I'm not sure if it was on IDE or AHCI before...

Associate
OP
Ok so startup repair found nothing wrong. Windows won't boot in AHCI mode - it gets to the Win boot screen and then restarts. I've changed it back to IDE and got back into Windows (on the second attempt)...

Associate
OP
Your problem could be something as simple as a loose Sata cable on the Motherboard or at the back of your drive.
After checking that I would recommend doing a scandisk on your boot drive, but I stress only if you have eliminated a faulty lead, because I have seen so many people go down software elimination paths only to find out that it is something they caould have changed in a couple of minutes.

Tried switching leads with another hard drive / switching SATA ports but no luck.

EDIT: It might also help mentioning that I just installed a new PSU?

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think you can run Windows if it was installed on IDE and later changed to AHCI? I'd recommend reinstalling on AHCI.

Just run a disk test, seatools for windows and get crystaldisk info.

I.doubt it's PSU related tbh.

Associate
OP
I don't think you can run Windows if it was installed on IDE and later changed to AHCI? I'd recommend reinstalling on AHCI.

Just run a disk test, seatools for windows and get crystaldisk info.

I.doubt it's PSU related tbh.

Seagate Tools all passed fine (haven't run the "Advanced Tests"). The only thing I noticed here was the firmware out of date - shall I give this an update?

CrystalDiskInfo below:

2uogzg1.png

Soldato
Also think it is the cables at fault, maybe power cable not plugged in fully. If your data cables have the metal latches on, are the locked in properly.

You could update the firmware to 070H (make sure you select Crucial m4 2.5-inch SSD). My M4 has been running fine with this.

If you want to change to AHCI without reinstalling windows, try this guide.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Also think it is the cables at fault, maybe power cable not plugged in fully. If your data cables have the metal latches on, are the locked in properly.

You could update the firmware to 070H (make sure you select Crucial m4 2.5-inch SSD). My M4 has been running fine with this.

If you want to change to AHCI without reinstalling windows, try this guide.

I've checked and swapped the SATA cables and checked the power cable is connected. I actually can't get on tonight - sometimes I get the Win boot screen which is frozen, sometimes I get the error in the title of this thread, and sometimes I get a flashing DOS cursor (followed by the image below when I press restart). If I can get on I'll do a firmware upgrade. Any other ideas? Gahh.

2yy2frd.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok guys think I've finally cracked it! Phew. It appears that one particular USB port is causing the issue?! When something's plugged into it then it won't boot correctly! Completely bizarre. Thanks for all your help. Time to do some backups.

In light of the fact that my SSD is not in fact dead, I'd been thinking for a while of upgrading to increase the capacity...don't really want to get rid of this one just to buy a bigger one...does anyone here use 2x SSDs in RAID 0? Is this a good option?

Thanks

Permabanned
Hi

Today I've been getting an intermittent error when booting up my PC:

"A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart".

Any idea what causes this? First time it went away on the first Ctrl+Alt+Del but the next time it took 10 restarts to get it to boot....
I did a BIOS update about 1 month ago so I presume I'm on the latest version...should I be worried about my SSD?

I've ran system file checker no errors.

Thanks

My M4 did the exact same on my 4.7 Ivy system. It gets so bad it takes an hour to get past the error. I never found out what did it it but im going to have to solve it as well. To be honest it is no luck that all the posts are about the M4 drive. I think Crucial have been sellings faulty drives even though my drive never loses data or shows up any errors.

Did you get the error about SMART failure too? We should both ask for refunds TBH.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's still happening but seems to be related to the USB ports - unplugging all USB devices fixes the problem but does't seem to be related to one single port or device? :s

edit: does this sound motherboard related?

Back
Top Bottom