• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU for 4k video editing?

Soldato
Would a overclocked Intel I5-2500K struggle with 4k video?

Yeah a 2500k will struggle.

As said above, you really need a big amount of virtual cores.

The 8320 has 8, the 4770k has 8 (they are better than the 8320's though) but the 2500k has 4.

If you're going intel get an i7 with HT, if not, get a 8320.

Soldato
Yeah a 2500k will struggle.

As said above, you really need a big amount of virtual cores.

The 8320 has 8, the 4770k has 8 (they are better than the 8320's though) but the 2500k has 4.

If you're going intel get an i7 with HT, if not, get a 8320.

If you don't you'll kick yourself. The addition of QuickSync will also help with rendering.

Don't skimp!!

Soldato
4930k or 3930k would be the best thing to go for. Going from a 2500k to an [email protected](most should OC to this with proper cooling) wont yield enough performance increase considering the entire platform change you would have to do. You want those 6 cores 12 threads.

Associate
i have done some 4K video editing on my setup, captured from my phone then used After Effects & other to edit,
no chance at running 4k games though :(

i5 2500k
8GB Ram
7970 GPU

screen res 1440p

Associate
However, for video encoding + other things like gaming you want a HyperThreaded Intel chip.

The performance penalty from using HyperThreading is approx 15-25%. The lead developer on x264 posted about this on doom9 over a year ago.

You are effectively losing almost an entire core of a quad core cpu, by leaving hyperthreading turned on in the bios, in the case of video encoding.

Permabanned
The performance penalty from using HyperThreading is approx 15-25%. The lead developer on x264 posted about this on doom9 over a year ago.

You are effectively losing almost an entire core of a quad core cpu, by leaving hyperthreading turned on in the bios, in the case of video encoding.
I don't think that it currently the case now though.
I tested this doing two encodes and the first one showed a 3.9% decrease in speed with HT on and the second file showed a 6.2% increase with HT on. This is on the system in my sig using a 2-pass encode.

Interestingly enough in both cases HT made the 1st pass slower and the 2nd pass quicker. I understand this might have something to do with the core scheduling in Win 7. Aoparently Win8 has better scheduling but I'll do the test again next week when I give Win8 a try.

Though for the OP, for mainly a video encoding system then an 3930k/4930k in conjunction with a large SSD is a good way to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
We had a pretty good discussion about this the other week

£2000 PC Build for 4K Video Editing

As I wrote in post #23, I'd be shooting for a similar ratio of CPU to GPU to I/O performance as those new mac pros (which can do realtime rendering of 4K with many filters! :eek:).

A recent 6 core Intel CPU, fast GPU (e.g. 780 Ti), and large, fast SSD (1 TB 840 EVO) should give great results.

Definitely don't underestimate the importance of the GPU and I/O system.

Back
Top Bottom