BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
The everyday costs of one are very reasonable, high 20's to 30ish mpg on a mixed commute, better again on a long run, tax is reasonable as is insurance. Servicing isn't bad and they are very easy to work on.

However, you want to be looking after it and most will have at least some element of preventative maintenance outstanding that you'll want to pick up on, plus little niggly things will go on the car. I found this no problem as I could do everything to the car myself and tbh parts prices are OK overall, but its not a car you will be able to buy, service once a year and nothing else ( unless you get very lucky). Just a product of them being older now.

If you look at them just make sure there is no rust on the rear quarters - front corrosion not such a big deal as the wings will just bolt on

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I don't think running costs on an E46 are prohibitive, just go in with your eyes open.
They're old cars and things will break.

I ran a 2001 Z3 with the same engine for 3.5 years and spent just under £2000 on unscheduled repairs. Add consumables and servicing and that goes up to £3300.
Buy a good one and most things will have been replaced (cooling system, for one)
Dunno if you'll service it yourself or at an indy but that won't be massively expensive either..

Associate
Does anyone else's e46 like to drink oil?

Had to top up my 330ci another litre after 730miles. It's due an oil service in 3k. It has 114k and I use castrol 5w30.

Should I change the seals at next service?

Soldato
They all do it to some degree, the M54's used oil from new, dont worry about it :)

I agree.

There are also some common areas for oil leaks such as the rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing. Also some say a blocked or faulty CCV system and dipstick tube (very common) can lead to increased oil consumption. On my previous 530i the CCV was properly blocked, nothing was getting through. Replaced it all and didn't observe any oil consumption difference.

Previous 530i also had a tiny leak around the sump or rear main seal. Both of them huge jobs to rectify so I never bothered. It wasn't bad enough to drip on the floor but the sump was always damp.

Soldato
I think it's a common misconception that the M54 actually drinks a lot of oil. From my experience it's more that they have several common faults which cause slow oil leakage such as rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing to name a couple.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I think it's a common misconception that the M54 actually drinks a lot of oil. From my experience it's more that they have several common faults which cause slow oil leakage such as rocker cover gasket and oil filter housing to name a couple.

No, they definitely burn oil. Always have, and from brand new too.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato

Haven't seen you post in a while, was starting to think you'd left us! Lol.

Mine definitely uses oil, but I do apparently have a small leak still. Not losing/using enough to me worry though.

Soldato
tbh I wouldn't have been worried about the timing belt covered in coolant, as you obviously have a warranty and providing it was within the mileage and timescale for a belt change had the coolant made it fail you would have been covered anyway surely?

It was a 2 year old car with 35k on the clock, so they wouldn't. The warrant company wanted "photographic proof of evidence of damage to the timing belt" before they'd replace it. If your water pump goes, everybody changes the timing belt, for good reason.

Eh? What was the reason for the wait?

Just a wait for a courtesy car.

[TW]Fox;26271396 said:
Sounds like thats the problem with crap dealers rather than warranties.

I've never in my life found a good dealer, then! Courtesy cars seem to be like hen's teeth. Three week wait at the body shop for a courtesy car for getting my dented front wing sorted, four weeks wait for the above water pump issue, and reading other posts, it seems to be common to wait at least a fortnight for a garage to even have time to book you in - that's a long time to pay for a hire car if your car is broken!

As always, I'm glad to go back to the independent garage at the end of the road whose work I trust, who know what they're talking about, who still only charge £40 an hour labour, knock some of the markup off oem part prices if they feel guilty about charging too much, and who can book you in on Thursday if you pop in on the Monday (and provide a loan car, even if it is a shed)!

Man of Honour
It's a common problem it seems with BMW dealers where if you want a courtesy car it takes weeks to get your car looked at, even just getting it looked at can take a week or two. The only time that it was any different was when the turbo actuators failed on my 335d and BMW assist provided a cater for 10 days while it was fixed.

I must be quite lucky down here then as my local dealer are great - they've always got a car available for me within a very reasonable time period.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26276684 said:
I must be quite lucky down here then as my local dealer are great - they've always got a car available for me within a very reasonable time period.

Definitely lucky rather than it being the norm. I've always had to wait at least a week for a courtesy car, usually 2.

Soldato
I've honestly never had any issue getting a car from Ford, Bmw, Audi, Honda or Peugeot in Glasgow with circa a weeks notice.

Don't always get something remotely decent but they always seem to have something!

Soldato
Haven't seen you post in a while, was starting to think you'd left us! Lol.

Mine definitely uses oil, but I do apparently have a small leak still. Not losing/using enough to me worry though.

Still around buddy, just very busy at work so don't have as much time to post during the day. Also have to split my time between here and e90post :)

Have you upgraded to a 335i yet?!

Soldato
Is the E46 M3 included in the BMW extended warranty if it's <60k miles?

I'm sure I read that M cars have different warranties.

Soldato
Just a wait for a courtesy car.

If the wait was just for a courtesy car, then you wouldn't have had to fork out for the repair surely? Or upteen days as the repair would surely only take a day or two, which would have been much cheaper than footing the bill yourself.

Soldato
If the wait was just for a courtesy car, then you wouldn't have had to fork out for the repair surely? Or upteen days as the repair would surely only take a day or two, which would have been much cheaper than footing the bill yourself.

What about the intervening three weeks that I need a car for work? My car had a gaping hole in the water pump, so was not driveable.

It was three weeks (or more) of hire car costs and a free repair, (£25 per day for something bargain basement - cost £500), or pay c. £350 to get it done myself the following day, squeezed in down he local garage.

Back
Top Bottom