April/MayCompetition (Shutter Speed) Entries

Soldato
After a bit of a battle against spring shutter speed came out on top in the vote.

The theme encapsulates any shot where shutter speed is an important factor and has been considered when taking the shot - for example a very fast shutter speed to freeze a moment in time or a long shutter speed to blur motion or create light trails etc.

Post your entry here. I recommend the 1024 size on flickr (for example) but there is no hard restriction. You are welcome to include a short comment about the image and a link to a larger size if relevant.

Entries can be entered and changed at any time up until 23:59 on 31st May. (The ending time was extended due to the late poll for the theme). One entry per person.

Entries must have been taken between April 1st and the closing time.

Voting will be by public vote in a new thread.

Merry shooting :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
might as well get this started... (bit of deja vu there)
spent enough time trying to find out how to get this link on the new flickr.. the share button is not very obvious..

Patient Subjects by TheRealZogger, on Flickr
(royal subjects, that is)
Buckingham Palace - 25 sec.
We were in London on Saturday and after finishing what we were there for we hopped on the Piccadilly line not really thinking of where we were going. By chance we decided to get off at Green Park for Buckingham Palace. As we were sitting by the fountain outside I suddenly remembered the photo comp and the main reason I had taken my gorillapod to London with me. I set it up on the edge of the fountain and attached the LCW ND500, thankful for live view and exposure simulation taking the arduous steps out of using ND filters. Had a guess at a bit of over exposure which worked out pretty much spot on for the balance between dynamic range and not blowing the highlights. I took a few shots, but this second one had the best clouds - I was lucky to get them as they mostly cleared out of the shot by the next exposure and didn't come back before sunset. The wind had picked up quite a bit by this time which also added an interesting effect to the water.

Last edited:
Associate
[
Fly me to the Moon by ajyoung, on Flickr

I was trying some moon shots tonight, then was amazed to see the jet's trail coming towards it and the plane's silhouette coming out in the final shot!

Camera was set up at ISO 100, f/8, tripod and mirror locked up for sharpness. Finally trial and error with the shutter speed in order to get the right white balance and not wash the moon details out! 1/40 did the trick and I was luckily ready for when the jet joined the party!

Last edited:
Soldato
Off-centre waves breaking lower down the beach threatened to mar the otherwise simple composition here, so ND filters were employed to provide a smooth 2 minute shot of the afterglow at the Bay of Laig on Eigg.

eigg_8_by_hairytoes-d7ggkyi.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
DSC_0334.jpg by xtrician1, on Flickr

This shot I took during the Essex Stunt Show over the recent bank holiday. This was the first time I've tried to do any fast moving stunts. Loading the file up afterwards was great as there was much more going on than I realised at the time!

I'm very much an extreme beginner and I have only signed up for Flickr this evening :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Ideally a placeholder but in all probability it will end up as the final submission.

Lewis Hamilton winning the 2014 Barcelona grand prix by Greg Kingston, on Flickr

I took this right at the end of the Barcelona grand prix (write up in the Motorsports forum). I liked it for a number of reasons:

- I had an unusually low proportion of 'keepers' at this race. I put this down to taking photos mostly in the braking zone on the main straight, and panning the camera on a car going from 320 kph down to 100 kph in the space of 60 metres was challenging
- I had enjoyed quite a few beers at the time
- the stand (grandstand, not a camera stand) was vibrating all over the place as fans left their seats to get ready to dash on to the track

Back
Top Bottom