Can you have fibre optic with no phone line? Poor Sky Internet

Soldato
BT fibre optic is now in my area & I desperately need to get away from the capped Sky broadband.
I very rarely use my landline & use a mobile, so £15.99 / month seems pointless if my Internet will be from fibre optic.

Do you really need a landline with fibre optic, or is this a dumb question :confused:

If you're interested why I'm moving away from Sky broadband:
I was with BE broadband for 3 years before Sky brought them out, I'd guess in order to monopolise the industry or remove the competition & my speeds were:

BE
down 5126 kbps
upload 1280
ping 17

Sky
down 4700 kbps
upload 799
ping 47

I can Telnet the line & get the Sky up to 5020 kbps down but the upload/ping seem to be capped.
Sky broadband also drops in speed every 3 days, so if connected at 4700 kpbs the initial speed test will be around 4 mbits but after 3 days it drops to 3 mbits even though its still connected at 4700 kbps.
I contacted Sky to request to be uncapped but they refused. I will never consider Sky for fibre optic.

Soldato
All fibre that goes over BT/Openreach does require a landline. Simply because the last bit from the street cab to your house is over a phone line. No way around that unless you have fibre all the way to your house. Most ISP's do reduced deals if you have both fibre and your phoneline with them.

Associate
Sounds similar to the situation I was in. 60 dB attenuation line pushed to 5500 kbps sync at 3 dB on BE Unlimited; dropped to 4000-4200 on Sky at 6 dB.

They offered me the 40/10 fibre package for £10 pcm or the 80/20 fibre pro for £20 pcm, the latter supposedly supported by ex-BE employees. Both involve moving to Sky Talk with line rental at an additional £15.40 per month.

At the moment I've effectively got an 80/20 Sky line for a similar price to my 5/1 ADSL on BE. Maybe that pricing info will help your decision.

Soldato
OP
Those Sky prices are cheaper than BT with their extra baloney. I presume Sky on fibre does not have any line caps like a phone line then. Plus supported by the BE guys, thats sweet.

Back
Top Bottom