The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Soldato
So, basically just to annoy Phate because it was his idea, and seeing as there seem to be a few individuals of good taste on here now invested in the system, I'm making an ********OFFICIAL******** thread for micro four thirds chat.

I have no actual content to add, other than a shot I forgot to post earlier from my recent Eigg trip.

eigg_29_by_hairytoes-d7ggkuo.jpg

E-M5, Olympus 9-18 and B+W 10 stop ND.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great photo! What camera are you using?

Hopefully I'll have my new camera for the weekend (Panasonic GX7) and my new lens by redemption (Panasonic 20mm 1.7 II) not long after. Off to Mexico on my honeymoon in a couple months, so should have some good pics of some amazing landscapes when I get back! :)

Soldato
OP
Great photo! What camera are you using?

Hopefully I'll have my new camera for the weekend (Panasonic GX7) and my new lens by redemption (Panasonic 20mm 1.7 II) not long after. Off to Mexico on my honeymoon in a couple months, so should have some good pics of some amazing landscapes when I get back! :)

E-M5 with the 9-18. The GX7 and 20mm should be a great combo. The 20 produces really lovely images and is tiny, the only downside is relatively slow focus really - it's a shame they couldn't improve it with the mk2.

Soldato
Lovely shot that. I'm a recent convert of only a few weeks, loving the primes so far but work and weather are stopping me using them in anger currently.

I love the fact that I can get 3 very sharp primes and camera in a bag that wouldn't even hold my D7000 and Grip properly.
I went for a Panasonic G5 though I guess most enthusiasts would go for the Olympus bodies for the looks and IBIS, I'll also be investing in a 9-18mm shortly.

Quick shot from the Oly 45mm f1.8 and G5.
Oly 45 f1.8 Test by m.ww, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
I really like the handling on the G series - Panasonic's twisty-flippy screens in particular are much better than Olympus' flip out implementation. I do find the mini-SLR styling a little bulky though, so I also had a GF/GX body for casual use when I was still using my GH2.

Caporegime
So, basically just to annoy Phate...

:D

Not quite sure what I've done recently to gain so much love from you all but I appreciate it all the same!

I think.... :p

Anyway, to actually build on the thread, is there a recommended replacement for the stock Oly 14-42?

I wouldn't mind something a bit wider and faster, I feel dirty shooting at f/3.5 :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
:D

Not quite sure what I've done recently to gain so much love from you all but I appreciate it all the same!

I think.... :p

Anyway, to actually build on the thread, is there a recommended replacement for the stock Oly 14-42?

I wouldn't mind something a bit wider and faster, I feel dirty shooting at f/3.5 :p

Wider and faster = $$$

Olympus 12-40 2.8 or Panasonic 12-35 2.8 are the options here.

Not faster, but the Oly 12-50 and Panny 12-32 might be worth thinking about, although they're quite different. The 12-50 is larger but has weather sealing, a useable semi-macro mode, an extra function button, electronic zoom for video and is dirt cheap second hand. It got a bit maligned on releas but I really quite like mine as a jack of all trades. 2mm wider, but still slow. The 12-32 is pancake sized and sharp, but still slow and there aren't many about because it's pretty new, although you could maybe buy one bundled with a GM1 for about £400 from HDEW and sell the GM1.

Last edited:
Soldato

Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 or Oly 12-40mm f2.8 are the only ones that are wider and faster. Get your wallet ready though!

There some primes that could also suit you if you don't mind losing the the zoom option such as Panasonic 14mm f2.5, Oly 12mm f2, Oly 17mm f1.8, Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Panasonic 25mm f1.4.

Caporegime
Just looked at those two, the lens prices don't shock me as I'm used to buying L glass :p

Kinda funny how I'm going to be buying lenses that are more expensive than the body for once! :p

I'd like the 9-18 in f/2.8 gauze to be honest, but hey ho such as life...

Mmm primes, hadn't looked at primes properly yet...

EDIT: One option would be the 14-54 which is 2.8-3.5 and I can get it for £250 if I sell my kit lens...that wouldn't be an expensive upgrade and would at least get me a fast lens!

Last edited:
Soldato
Mmm primes, hadn't looked at primes properly yet...

In general the wide aperture primes are tack sharp as well, I don't know whether its because of the smaller sensor size / less glass or they are simply made well but I'm very impressed with the 3 I've got based on my limited experience so far.

Olympus are releasing a 7-14 2.8 later in the year.

How much d'ya reckon...£800 - £1k?

Caporegime
In general the wide aperture primes are tack sharp as well, I don't know whether its because of the smaller sensor size / less glass or they are simply made well but I'm very impressed with the 3 I've got based on my limited experience so far.
That's very good to hear :)

How much d'ya reckon...£800 - £1k?

Hmm I might be better off holding out and waiting for it to come out then. Rather than spending XYZ on other lenses etc when I know a fast wide lens is exactly what I need.

Soldato
Ah...rookie mistake!

I haven't felt like such a noob in photography since clicking on this sub forum for the very first time :p

There are adapters available that maintain AF but as the Four Thirds mounts was initially designed as a Phase Detect system some of the lenses don't play well with the contrast technology in the mirrorless bodies.

I believe the date of manufacture plays a part, as well the lens itself but that's about all I know and don't trust me on it.

And yes you are of course a noob!

Caporegime
Just googled said lens and it looks to be quite highly anticipated.

I'll make sure I start saving for one :)

Hmm the rocky can be had for around £170, thats pretty damn cheap...

EDIT:

Having made a spreadsheet and everything I’m thinking the below in no particular order:

• Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye, it’s not particularly fast but it’ll be so physically wide it will catch a lot of light and will be fun to shoot with! Plus it’s small £££ - have always wanted a fish-eye but never had a use for one, until now.
• Olympus 7-14mm f/2.8 – this will be ideal for 90% of UW photography I think, this may change when I have been diving with my current kit lens and I get a better feel for what I'm lacking.
• Olympus 17mm f/1.8 – equivalent of the 35L which is my current favourite lens and gets used all the time. It’s a great focal length.

These coupled with my standard kit lens, focally I think I'll be pretty covered!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom