Router/Repeater/AccessPoint? Help

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking for something which will literally pick up a wireless signal and give it to my computer in an RJ45 connection.

I don't want it to repeat the signal or anything, just collect it.

I dont want any usb adapters or internal cards.

Does anyone know what to suggest?

Failing that I'm sure a repeater with two transmitters that allows its own separate SSID to be allocated may suffice, if anyone knows of a good one?

Thanks!!

Associate
OP
Would the TL-WR843ND work?

On their site it says that it is an AP Client router?
Looking for something that can pick up the wireless signal really well, and I don't want the same SSID repeated as I've found this causes confirmation at the client end.

I'm not sure if the TL-WR843ND is just a client or also acts as some kind of repeater with it's own SSID?

Thanks!

Soldato
The TL-WA801ND does appear to support client mode. I don't know if any of their other models do, and I'm not going to trawl through their website checking.

I think DD-WRT supports client mode, but you'd need to check. If it does then you've got plenty of routers to choose from.

Have you considered using Powerline adapters rather than wireless?

Soldato
Exactly what are you trying to do? Do you just want to pick up the wireless signal somewhere, and then run the rest of the distance with a cable? Or are you trying to extend the wireless range?

Have you considered home plugs?

Associate
OP
Basically, I want to extend the wireless network

The repeater I bought is crap basically...it can't seem to grab a good signal from the main router so anything that connects to it gets rubbish speed, and computers get confused as to which to connect, due to the SSID being the same.

So basically I want either a very good multi ssid repeater, or a very good client router that I can connect to my other access point which will then extend the signal

Soldato
Where's the repeater located in relation to the router and the clients?

I have seen people trying to use repeaters positioned almost next to the clients they're trying to connect, which rather defeats the purpose.

Powerline adapters are still looking like a good option. Either an adapter with a built-in wireless access point, or just as a feed for a separate access point.

Associate
OP
The repeater is downstairs and about 20 metres in distance away from the router haha.

My laptop works just about okay in the position I've put the repeater, but the repeater seems to relay a really crap signal and can't even stream videos

Soldato
Powerline adapters don't need to be on the same circuit to work (but will probably work better if they are).

You want the repeater where it still gets a good signal. Spacing them too far apart will prevent them from working properly. It may of course just not be very good (what is it?).

What model is your main router? It may just be simpler to replace it with something better.

In an ideal world you'd run some Ethernet cable and hang an access point off the end. I assume this isn't an option?

Associate
I have used an old Linksys box running DD-WRT to do this quite well.

It will be fairly slow doing it this way, would it not be possible to run high gain antenna on the main wi-fi router?

Associate
Oh and I can't use the power ones as my upstairs/downstairs sockets are on a different circuit unfortunately!

Even if there's different ring circuits just as long as they end in the same consumer unit, since they're all fused to the same busbar on the same supply it'll work, or at least if it doesn't there's no harm in trying.

Back
Top Bottom