Object on roof of house... what is it?

Soldato
Hello all, it's been a hell of a long time since I logged in and posted anything but I have a question for you... what is this object on the roof of the house? I'm guessing it's too small to be a solar panel!

3gvs.jpg

Soldato
Its a snow guard, stops loads of the white stuff falling onto either a glass roof, doorway etc, holds the snow on the roof till it melts.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its a snow guard, stops loads of the white stuff falling onto either a glass roof, doorway etc, holds the snow on the roof till it melts.

100% this It's a snow guard you usually see them on roofs above peoples conservatories / flat roof extensions so the snow doesn't fall onto them

Permabanned
It's a really big handle. Your house is actually a giant lunchbox belonging to Fionn mac Cumhaill. He just grabs that, lifts the roof open like a bread bin, sticks a huge paw in an scoops out a delicious person to eat.

Man of Honour
Well I've never come across a snow guard before! I do live in the south mind. You'd think that they would make it full width, no?

I assume they want to control rather than stop the snow coming off so they don't want to trap the whole lot on there creating too much weight or have the whole lot coming off in one go damaging stuff below.

Permabanned
Still kinda redundant for Belfast. Unless during the heavy snow fall we had in March last year did end up crashing through the roof of the extension below. But I can't see us having that kind of snow fall again.

Man of Honour
Still kinda redundant for Belfast. Unless during the heavy snow fall we had in March last year did end up crashing through the roof of the extension below. But I can't see us having that kind of snow fall again.

Only time I've ever been to Belfast (circa 2000 or 2001 IIRC) 2 feet of snow dropped the following night - made for quite an interesting run over the top to Londonderry the following day.

Permabanned
Only time I've ever been to Belfast (circa 2000 or 2001 IIRC) 2 feet of snow dropped the following night - made for quite an interesting run over the top to Londonderry the following day.

Belfast doesn't get too bad, but that route through the Sperrins from Belfast to Londonderry, the Glenshane pass, can be impassible in even small storms. Last year it was crazy, in March I think it was, worst snow fall in years. Up in the Sperrins and other areas of the country they were dealing with 6 - 7 ft drifts.

Soldato
LOL, people putting snow defenders on their houses in Belfast.

Where I'm from, if we're going to put a ridiculous looking object on our roof, we do it properly...

nTbPjKC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom