Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
How much seat post do you have showing?

Unless it's for the bling I'd say alloy. You'll get more comfort improvement from changing to 25mm tyres and/or ensuring you are running at an appropriate tyre pressure.

I had a bike fit and found my current 300mm seatpost is too short and I need to get a 350mm one so I would imagine more than 200mm will be showing.

I was erring towards the alloy one myself as I have had no issues with my current one.

Soldato
Using the front on the rear is fine but i wouldnt like to use the rear on the front with the bolt only through the front edge of the fork.

It's a long time ago but i think when i had a similar age frame i was running it with 2 front brakes. One on the rear with a hex nut instead of the allen nut and i drilled the fork and used a normal front brake there too.

What's the thinking behind the rear at the front not being a good idea? Is it simply that it's not secured on much of the frame? I might ride it fixed for a little while to see how it goes so I have a bit of insurance if it all goes pear shaped, and keep on the lookout for a cheap single front caliper.

Man of Honour
I made the mistake of putting on some trousers for a meeting (just realised that sounds a bit odd - I've just worn shorts in the office today until then :p) and it has completely pwn'd my knee. I'm going to have to cycle directly home and take it easy I think :/ Awesome weather too so it's quite annoying.

Caporegime
ok... took my bike to halfords to get my front gears which were messed up after I changed the chain....
I tried to fix the gears last night but gave up...

The guy said my gears are indexed fine.... stupid chain is catching on my chain bolts where as the last one didn't...

I don't have the original chain bolts on and the guy looked at a display bike with the original ones and they were slightly thinner on the inside end.. (why couldn't he just steal the chain ring bolts off the display bike and then fit the ones he would be ordering for me anyway.....)

The guy couldn't find the part in their catalogue at all.
phoned up somewhere and got the part number :|
Part number doesn't register on their computers :|

Gotta wait whilst he tries to contact the guy who adds the parts to the computers...

and this is why I said I would never buy another boardman bike because you do not know WTF is on them, they all seem to use weird branded cranks that you can't find on the web even on the manufactures websites.

My old chain isn't even listed on the KMC website and the only place that you can get the exact same one seems to be ebay in america. (yea yea I know you don't need the exact same parts but I was trying to find out which chains wouldn't be a downgrade)

It's like they buy in mass parts that are being phased out so it's almost impossible to just get whatever the hell you need or find out about the bits that are on it even if they are clearly labelled...

My rear dérailleur isn't even listed on the sram website last I checked either

Last edited:
Caporegime
wasn't it you who changed the chainring bolts to something else? :)

yea because I killed one of the original ones when I washed my chainrings and put them back on :p

I think the original ones might have been steel and I bought aluminium ones which I assume have a thicker head on the nut bit.

I have no faith in that guy being able to source the original ones so I just ordered some steel race face ones and hope they aren't as chunky as these aluminium ones.

I ordered another better chain as well as the one I bought was just some crap sram one that a LBS had which I was going to make do with since I plan on buying another bike soon anyway.

I'll keep this boardman crap as a winter bike though

Last edited:
Caporegime
so it's more to do with you replacing them ? ;) than boardman messing up.. eh?

more to do with boardman seemingly using end of life parts when they spec up a model :p

Padded undershorts
What are those like?
Can you get ones that are just like boxer shorts that are padded?

I think when I looked the only ones I saw had straps on that go over the shoulders borat style
jSV9Xzy.jpg

I have the same bag but a medium, I don't see much fitting in the small tbh.
I also have a topeak pump but a different one /w gauge .

the gauge stopped working properly after a few uses.
The pump sometimes doesn't seem to engage the valve properly and it feels like the pump is blocked and impossible to pump.
The bracket thing that fits on the bike is mounted to far to the side like yours in the photo so almost catches on my leg.

You could probably have got a c02 pump that would fit in a saddle bag for the price of that as well which is what I plan on buying soon.

just get a trackpump for at home

Last edited:
Soldato
I have no faith in that guy being able to source the original ones so I just ordered some steel race face ones and hope they aren't as chunky as these aluminium ones.

Do you have them on the right way round? (Allen/torx bolt goes to the outside, away from the frame)

Can you get a picture of the setup? It might be an easy fix.

Soldato
Asked for one of these for my birthday:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/high-5/bike-goodie-bag-ec024274

I think it will come in handy for the longer rides I have planned, can put food in it and is easier to access on-the-go rather than messing about trying to get something out of a jersey pocket. A mate recommended that particular bag because the sides tend to remain upright when open, so makes it easier to access on the move.

In other news, got drafted all the way home by somebody on my commute and it was really windy! Didn't even get a thank you. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Do you have them on the right way round? (Allen/torx bolt goes to the outside, away from the frame)

Can you get a picture of the setup? It might be an easy fix.

lol I'm not sure how someone could even make that mistake :D
I certainly have not! I doubt you could put them on backwards anyway unless you want to own up to something right now :D ?

Here's what I mean
TiSxUpM.jpg
I'm guessing the original was steel but I'm still amazed a crank isn't compatible with aluminium chain ring bolts at least with this new chain anyway which is definitely the exact same speed chain as was previously on and the exact same amount of links apart from the other one had X shaped outer plates and this chain is flat, maybe the X shaped happily bounced over the chain ring bolts but these one just catch the edge and jam.

anyway ordered a good KMC chain to go with those new steel bolts so all should be at peace in the world once they are delivered, until then I'm stuck on the middle ring for safety :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I doubt you could put them on backwards anyway unless you want to own up to something right now :D ?

I dont remember doing so, but if it's possible to put them on the wrong way round them i'm sure i will have done that at some point. :D

I still cant work out how your chain can be catching on those bolts though. (but it cant happen on a double and none of my bikes have triple chainsets for me to investigate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom