Name that program: 1980s BBC1 kids drama

Associate
One thats been bugging me for years is this tv program from what must be the mid - late 80s. The bits I remember are as follows.. it's not a lot...

- it was on bbc1
- it was a 2-3 parter
- it was set prob in the late 1800s, poss early 1900's. Maybe even as late as ww2 time.
- iirc it was about a boy who was staying somewhere.. a large house.. on an upper froor I think. I remember him playing marbles.
- The main thing I remember though was that he kept on looking into the big mansion size garden from his upper window and there being thunder and lightning and kept thinking the trees were alive and moving in the dark. I'd guess there was a certain amount of the older people not believing him.
Eventually though, I'd guess towards the end of the series again there was thunder and lightning and now the boy was outside in the massive garden, and the trees did become alive and grab the kid...

Thats all I can remember but for some reason has been bugging me for years.
Any guesses anyone???

Caporegime
wasnt there a remake with that comedian with eddie izzard?

actually The Day of the Triffids wouldn't have been a kids series :p
original was made in 81 though

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Have never heard of this, but it reminds me of another kids drama set in some large grounds with a big house, and was about a girl who could see a little Cockney chimney-sweep-looking boy who I think was some sort of Victorian ghost. All I really remember was that he kept coughing up blood and had clearly died from some sort of childhood illness. I don't remember watching it too closely as it was particularly drab and not a lot happened. Any ideas?

Caporegime
Have never heard of this, but it reminds me of another kids drama set in some large grounds with a big house, and was about a girl who could see a little Cockney chimney-sweep-looking boy who I think was some sort of Victorian ghost. All I really remember was that he kept coughing up blood and had clearly died from some sort of childhood illness. I don't remember watching it too closely as it was particularly drab and not a lot happened. Any ideas?

secret garden?
Young Mary Lennox is orphaned by an earthquake in India and sent to England to live with her uncle in a cold ancestral manor in Yorkshire. Mary briefly meets him, still mourning for his wife who died ten years ago, but she is mostly left on her own. A resourceful and inquisitive girl, she soon makes two exciting discoveries. First she finds an overgrown secret garden, the favorite of her aunt and locked up since her death. Second, that she has a cousin, Colin, a sickly boy who has been told he must remain in bed out of the daylight at all times. Once Mary and another new friend, Dickon, have brought the garden back to life they decide Colin must see it, a decision that will change several lives.

Back
Top Bottom