Technical Interview Questions - Enterprise IT

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Hi guys,

We are recruiting for a 3rd line type role at the moment and I have set some technical questions. I personally think they are super easy but I'm finding that people are really struggling to answer them.

What are your experiences of setting technical questions at this level?

For example, I'm asking people to describe the operation of DFS and other basic things like that and I'm getting back junk answers.

Soldato
That doesn't sound like anything too hard for a 3rd line position (I'd certainly expect at least a basic understanding on that stuff even if hands on experience was lacking). Maybe you just have lots of applicants that aren't quite ready for 3rd line? When I was being interviewed for my role my manager did a "deep dive" in a subject area I said I knew a lot about. The questions started off easy and got progressively harder and more indepth until I struggled to answer.

Personally I thought that was a really good way to find out whether I understood the subject matter. Having hands on experience is one thing but actually understanding what it is you are clicking/doing is something else

Soldato
Whilst I know and have used DFS I wouldn't necessarily say it was common. I'd probably be looking more at AD, DNS, DHCP, or other core technologies that you need to actually use Windows.

DFS is something that, when it's working, is fine but when it breaks it's a pig. With everyone having replicated SAN storage, Branchcache, Riverbed, etc. it's becoming less and less.

M.

Soldato
Is this recruiting a predominantly Windows Server based system administrator or a jack or all trades?

I've recently landed a new job in a senior Infrastructure role, but have been to a few different interviews recently and some of them varied in technical depth! Typical windows system admin stuff I've been asked:

- Can you name the FSMO roles. Can you describe what they do?
- Can you explain the difference between Intrasite and Intersite replication?
- Describe your thought process behind troubleshooting a group policy processing issue.
- Can you explain what a Forward Lookup/Reverse Lookup zone?
- Can you explain what conditional forwarding is?
- Can you explain what the purpose of a: NS, CNAME, A, MX record is?
- If you had to troubleshoot a server issue reported as being "slow" , what tools would you use?

This is of course only in the windows domain, I've also been asked other questions relating to VMware/Storage/Networking and such and am happy to give more examples if you want?

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
Oh I've got the questions nailed down, my point is more that it is proving difficult to find people that can answer these questions!

I've asked about the FSMO roles and some troubleshooting questions. They aren't all about Windows though as the role isn't specifically about Windows.

Soldato
Then it sounds like the role is the issue. For example you will find it really hard to get a decent Sys Admin with Microsoft and Linux experience. Same if you choose two or more major competing technologies. People tend to stick to one discipline.

What exactly are you after?

M.

Soldato
For example, I'm asking people to describe the operation of DFS and other basic things like that and I'm getting back junk answers.

May I ask what the salary is? As if its too low, you just get loads of blaggers and Level 1/2 people wanting to progress. All the good guys who are knowledgeable are already in work or contracting, if you want to attract the decent people you need to pay a decent wage.

Associate
May I ask what the salary is? As if its too low, you just get loads of blaggers and Level 1/2 people wanting to progress. All the good guys who are knowledgeable are already in work or contracting, if you want to attract the decent people you need to pay a decent wage.
valid point I have seen companys offer 26k for 3rd line... not sure what you would expect for that tbh.
i did a helpdesk job first line for that money.

Soldato
valid point I have seen companys offer 26k for 3rd line... not sure what you would expect for that tbh.

Our server team jobs were advertised for £25-35k, although after our merger and restructure 2nd line contractors who have gone perm are negotiating £35k + car. Some of them don't even understand basic permissions :eek:

MW

Soldato
I guess it depends on your area and the job description/title and salary then. I've seen some adverts basically looking for someone with every skill under the sun, which is quite frankly ridiculous. As m4cc45 said, you will struggle to find a really skilled sys admin in one or a few particular fields.

Soldato
I do a lot of technical interviews for people up to CCIE level, normally I go through a scenario on the whiteboard, within 10 seconds of handing the whiteboard marker to the candidate I normally know how it's gonna go.. :D

Associate
I do a lot of technical interviews for people up to CCIE level, normally I go through a scenario on the whiteboard, within 10 seconds of handing the whiteboard marker to the candidate I normally know how it's gonna go.. :D

Absolutely this.

In addition, give them scenarios to see how they'd approach them and troubleshoot issues. Give them some pointers along the way to get them back on the right path if necessary.

That should give you a good appreciation of how capable and well suited they would be to both the role and working in the group.

Xez

Xez

Associate

Being third line I would love to be on 26k. It does or has stopped me from applying for jobs when they offer much higher wages than what I am currently on.

It works both ways, I've interviewed people before and they have previously been on a lot of money. When they start at our place even our first line juniors are far better technically and from an administration point.

Soldato
Our server team jobs were advertised for £25-35k, although after our merger and restructure 2nd line contractors who have gone perm are negotiating £35k + car. Some of them don't even understand basic permissions :eek:

MW

2nd line support for 35k! Is this in london?

Caporegime
Being third line I would love to be on 26k. It does or has stopped me from applying for jobs when they offer much higher wages than what I am currently on.

What? What you make now isn't relevant to the negotiation of a new position.

Associate
For 1st and 2nd line we have a list of questions, at 3rd line we tend to set a scenario that will be similar to that which a customer might provide and ask the candidate to design a solution.

Associate
I prefer questions that show how someone works something out and not necessary have one straight answer such as users are complaining about slow logins what possible reasons could this be?
Profile, AD Sites and Services incorrect, slow network connection, slow storage etc...

Back
Top Bottom