I don't want to kill these bees but...

Soldato
OP
This is what a ****ed off bee hive looks like...

ECFC68D2-0E30-472F-813E-C869C78FD2A9_zpsznlxb1ls.jpg

I think they've taken heed of my warning as queenie made an appearance. She looked to be scouting the land for a new nest.

27B22099-EFF0-4B64-87A1-3225832FE362_zpsvwn0dvcg.jpg

I expect they'll be rescuing what honey they can and moving home now :(

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'll try most things to not kill wildlife. It's nice to see but unfortunately they have picked a bad spot to live... I can't say as I recall ever seeing many bumble bees so that's even more reason to not kill them. They're more than welcome in my garden :)

Caporegime
ive never seen a nest before either. I guess you wouldnt under normal circumstances.
Lucky they werent damaged in the initial removal!

Soldato
OP
They've only nested since it's been and the patio outside, and if it wasn't for me mowing the lawn and trying the get the junk off the grass and onto the patio then that'd have been fine for a while longer.

Oh well, I think they're moving on and I haven't killed any.

Associate
Found a knackered bumble sat on a window ledge yesterday, too weak to fly. Managed to save it by snaffling two random flowers from a window box up the road and taking them to the bee.
Quite heartwarming when the little mite, having thoroughly proboscised said blooms, finally took off, and did a kind of loop-de-loop in front of me to say thank you. God, I'm a soppy git sometimes....

Still, respect for not going in with the chemicals! Nice to see.

Associate
Not quite the same as a lawn based colony but I currently have a throng of white arsed bumble bees living in the dormer roof above one of our upstairs windows. Brilliant little things to watch coming and going, the only down side is the racket they make seeping into the bedroom when they get over excited about something.

Soldato
OP
Yeah it'd be a real shame to go and exterminate them!

Last night, their hive seemed quite dead. I pulled it open to see if any were left... A few were-not many though! So I guess they've found a new place and were in the final stages of moving out.

I've been pulling the insulation away bit by, let the bees calm down and then bag it up. 16 bin bags down, maybe 5-8 more to go...

I think I've just about won, and things didn't turn nasty!

My grass looks baaaaad though... Mostly moss now, it's in a sheltered area anyway, not much sun light... What can I buy to bring it back to life?

Thanks for your help people :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks, good idea!

2 nests vacated... found 1 more now though, again in old loft insulation!!!

Will try the same technique of persistent disruption and hope they move on too.

Cleared this patch now though :)

E646D081-5B2F-4DE4-B6BF-DA1D76A0F098_zpsr8ndjxvb.jpg

Soldato
Just noticed a few bumblebees buzzing around the very corner of my roof today. Haven't seen any seem to go in or out of anywhere, but seems like there must be a nest somewhere there.

Poked my head into the loft, and pretty sure they're not in there, so assume they're either between the tiles and the felt, or they're in the gutter (which shamefully has a well established set of plants in it at that end :o )

Would like to leave them bee (haha). but they're right by our bedroom window, and neither me nor the missus are good with creepy crawlies. Will have to see how we go on. Another consideration is that we're getting the house ready to put on the market, and getting the gutters cleared was intended to be part of that.

Back
Top Bottom