Post Mod-2 bike recommendation

Associate
I apologise for how often I suspect this topic comes up. Nonetheless, I thankfully passed my Mod 2 this morning, so having put it off until that was out the way it's all stations go on purchasing a bike in time for summer.

I'd like to go down the sports/sports-tourer route. I passed on an XJ6 and someone recommended a XJ6 F Diversion as I would ideally like a faired bike. I popped into Honda and they have a CBR 600 F coming in which I may well try. Aside from these what else should I be looking at, and do people feel there is really much of a difference at the c600cc level?

Lastly, are the any specifically recommended security chains? The bike will be parked on the road in a motorcycle bay next to my house which has chain anchors on the ground.Insurance quotes offer the option to choose from a vast selection, but it's not immediately apparent which ones are better than any other. I also recall from my experience of bicycle locks that you can often find significant price differences between locks/chains in the same security category, which presumably translate into the same insurance (not to mention peace of mind) benefit.

Thanks.

Soldato
You don't really get many 600cc Sports Tourers as, by their nature, they tend to big-engined big-ass bikes.
However, you can take a 600 that is long-distance comfy, whack some luggage on and make it work well enough.

There is a great deal of difference at 600cc - Go ride an R6, then a Hornet and then a 650 Dragstar for a serious contrast.

Basically, I'd say anything you are comfortable on, that meets your basic requirements and has a good reputation in the sorts of fields that interest you.
Depends what you want it for.
I'd guess you'll want something you can hoon around on a bit, but manage some serious distance, perhaps even a bit of commuting?

Lastly, are the any specifically recommended security chains?
Almax chains are the absolute bomb, IMO!
Just make sure you put the chain through a part of the bike that cannot be easily removed (the frame is always good) and keep the chain as far up off the ground as possible, so thieves cannot brace bolt-croppers against the floor.
Make sure your padlock has a shrouded bolt and the lock is something good. Abloy disc detainers are brilliant. If the key looks like a cylinder or a normal Yale-type lock, I can probably open it in seconds.

M/C security is a bit different to bicycles, but simply reading some comparison reviews will give you a good overview. RiDE Magazine used to do great roundups.

Soldato
TBH, I think most bikes that tick your other boxes (fairing, performance, etc) will be reasonable enough at 600cc, at least for your first few years of riding.

Are you set on buying new, or will second-hand be OK?

Associate
OP
Second hand is fine and by far the most likely option unless there is a particularly good reason otherwise. Looking up to c5k, with a budget for insurance around 1k.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Get a good deal on Zx9 ninjas now. Great starter bikes and you wont be bored after 6 months of playing around with 600 and ringing the **** off it once your upto speed with it so to speak :)

Caporegime
id recommend a Kawasaki er6f or er6n,or a cheaper older style zx6r g1/2 or j1/2 models

can have plenty fun on a 600cc and it wont drink the petrol like the bigger bikes

almax chain and a ground anchor is a must for keeping it secure at home,the almax chains weigh a ton though so bear that in mind when having to carry it

Associate
My first "big" bike was an ER-6f (2009). Had it over a year, great bike :)
I started on a Versys (same engine, tuned differently). Loving it so far, plenty of go without being insane, very forgiving as long as you keep your head.

As mentioned, CC isn't all that great an indicator. I think a Hornet has something like nearly twice the HP as the Versys on paper :eek:.

Soldato
Can't go far wrong with the CBR600f

It's better than everything else mentioned so far in the thread.

Even better if you get a proper 600f and not post 2011 one.

Associate
OP
Can't go far wrong with the CBR600f

It's better than everything else mentioned so far in the thread.

Even better if you get a proper 600f and not post 2011 one.

What changed around 2011? If it was the introduction of ABS I feel that it might not be a terrible thing to have. I had a ride on a 2013 CBR600F this afternoon. I think it's possible a good deal may be there to be had on a relatively recent second hand model with the 650F out in a couple months.

Soldato
What changed around 2011? If it was the introduction of ABS I feel that it might not be a terrible thing to have. I had a ride on a 2013 CBR600F this afternoon. I think it's possible a good deal may be there to be had on a relatively recent second hand model with the 650F out in a couple months.

They stopped being a CBR 600f and started being a hornet with a fairing on.

That's literally, and not even a bad thing, just not as good as before.

Back
Top Bottom