Some new additions! (Reviews in progress)

Soldato
Accidentally clicked 'buy' on this little lot late last week:

BlSIUPZIYAEb6UI.jpg

Only had a chance to play one so far (Flash Point) but so far pleased with my purchases :D

Lost the first game of Flash Point however so need to go back for another crack at it with hopefully less dying!

Shall review them as I play them (assuming there's any interest?) and let you know what I think! :)

Associate
Of the three, I've only played Elder Sign, but heard great things about all 3.

I found ES like a bit of a spectator sport really, but I think for such a light game, played with 8 that should be expected really. I do really like the Android version though, so there is definitely appeal there.

Soldato
Flash Point is the only one I don't own, but have eyed it repeatedly. Might pick it up at the Expo later this month if I see it for a decent price. :)

Elder Sign is great, but the reliance on pure chance knocks it down a bit even if it does remain bum-puckeringly tense at times, and hard as nails.

Soldato
OP
Haha, forgot about this thread!

Only actually played Flash Point and Castle Panic but some quick thoughts for you guys on both!

Castle Panic

Game setup and packaging is superb here - lots of tokens for the monsters but nothing to punchout! Plenty of space for everything after it's all opened and probably enough space inside for the expansion too!

All the important rules are printed on the board - mostly this applies to the various boss monsters you have to take down and how they affect the fight.

Monsters are assigned to 1 of 6 zones by die roll which makes planning hard work but can make for some super tense moments. Sometimes you don't just draw monsters though - there are a few giant boulders that pop out which can mess you up along with a few plague cards too. Fun but also feels like the monster tokens are spying on you :p

Very high luck component to the game but you can try to plan around it. I've only played it as a 2 player game which leads to easy planning until the game stabs you in the back :D

Of the 3 games we've played the stats stand at 1 win/2 losses - it's not always an easy game! Good fun but very light - a good introduction to co-op games I'd say!

Flash Point

Quite a lot of punching out to do for this game and the default storage in the box doesn't really contain the components very well. I got around this by flipping the insert over to double the storage and then bagged up all the tokens by type.

I've only played the basic game on the 'easy' side of the board thus far and they give you a suggested layout to begin with although you can randomise it if you wish.

Usual turn order cards show all the actions you can perform: Move, move through smoke, extinguish flames, clear smoke, move with a survivor etc.

The basic setup has 'Points of Interest' (survivors) starting in the same place but as they get rescued or killed a new POI shows up in a random location by die roll. The whole game is played on a grid and you get a d6 and a d8 to determine your fate.

The fire spreads in much the same way (random die roll) which doesn't seem very thematic but at least gives you a fighting chance. Until you roll the same location where the fire already is causing an explosion! This can also turn into a shockwave and begin destroying walls if you become unlucky!

Victory conditions are rescuing at least 7 survivors. Lose conditions are 4 or more dead OR the building collapsing from damage to the walls which you cannot repair.

Good fun but can be a bit random and occasionally unbalanced but worthy of a purchase I would say.

Do watch out for explosions and shockwaves though - in the first game we killed a cat! So sad! :(

Caporegime
Had our first game of Flashpoint at the weekend (4 players)

Totally messed it up though. We started using the easier side of the board (4 external doors) but wanted to try the Advanced game as it sounded more interesting than the family game.

However, at the start where we were supposed to roll the initial 3x explosions (recruit level) we only placed one fire piece in each space, and didn't radiate the fire out in the four directions like you are supposed to in an explosion! Whoops.

I didn't really understand the hotspots either if I'm honest...

But having said that, we were also VERY lucky with our rolls as we didn't have a single explosion until the very end of the game, and kept 'advancing the fire' in to empty spaces after pretty much every go. Therefore most of the time we were just putting down smoke. There was a few instances of smoke turning to fire, but very few.

It would have been much more exciting if it had been a close game but we saved 7 people and nobody died. Clearly the initial explosions being implemented would have dramatically changed the game.

Associate
For Castle Panic I would recommend grabbing the wizards tower expansion, it makes everything just a tad more interesting and adds some very subtle elements like flying monsters, mega-bosses and fire, but its still a very easy to pick up and play game.

Soldato
Flashpoint can really creep up on you, if you concentrate on getting rid of the fire you don't get the people out in time but of you concentrate on the people the fire can quickly grow and explosions are fun!

I have played four or five times now and add extra bits of the main game to the family game to get used to the various elements. Saying that I am playing with an 8 and 11 year old, so too many new rules are hard.

I like the look of some of the expansions for it, especially the submarine board!

Soldato
Elder Sign is good fun, but can be quite daunting on first play. I ended up watching the Tabletop episode a couple of times and played the Android version first as (to me) the instructions were a little unclear.

Soldato
OP
Elder Sign is good fun, but can be quite daunting on first play. I ended up watching the Tabletop episode a couple of times and played the Android version first as (to me) the instructions were a little unclear.

I'd agree with that. Instead of being laid out in a clear format it has you jumping backwards and forwards through the rules searching for what to do....that first play took a while!

Soldato
I'd agree with that. Instead of being laid out in a clear format it has you jumping backwards and forwards through the rules searching for what to do....that first play took a while!

FFG rulebook is awful, water is wet, the Pope is a Catholic and Luxembourg is small.

That said, the Eldritch Horror rulebook is OK. They decided to keep the basic game mechanics in order and strip all the special rules into a reference guide.

Soldato

Have to say, playing the android version was very helpful for the basics, some of the rules are slightly different though.

Back
Top Bottom